Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #1

Question Leak.. Best caulk to use?

Well the only good thing about the rain this past weekend is that it showed us that there is a leak. It was overhead on the front end bed. Looks like we will completely re-caulk the front in order to find it and stop the leak. What is the best caulk to use? If it is a special caulk where did you get it?

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Pete

I have used the following to stop leaks in all the RV's I've owned. Just depends on the leak. We will all have them eventually.

1) Dicor has caulks: "self-leveling" (for flat surfaces) and "non-leveling" (for verticals) that I have had great success with.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...p-sealant/6748
Dicor Non-Sag Lap Sealant

Club Price: $7.99
Reg. Price: $8.88

2) For "hair line" cracks, Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure is great! It is a liquid and follows the flow "like water" to seal the crack along the way.
http://www.captaintolley.com/

Hope you get the leak stopped!
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartonhl View Post
I have used the following to stop leaks in all the RV's I've owned. Just depends on the leak. We will all have them eventually.

1) Dicor has caulks: "self-leveling" (for flat surfaces) and "non-leveling" (for verticals) that I have had great success with.
Dicor Non-Sag Lap Sealant - Product - Camping World
Dicor Non-Sag Lap Sealant

Club Price: $7.99
Reg. Price: $8.88

2) For "hair line" cracks, Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure is great! It is a liquid and follows the flow "like water" to seal the crack along the way.
Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure/

Hope you get the leak stopped!

I agree. Both are great products.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
CampeRooo

Before you get too far into caulking around the bunk, you might look in the Roo specific section and the General Expandable Discussion of the forum and read over the experiences of others with the same problem. (There's a couple of them in there) We know that there's a field replacement kit out there to beef up the seals, it has fixed the problem for some, but not all. Apparently Rockwood/F.R. is sending these out to those that call in with the problem and not charging anything for it, which is nice. I have a leak in my front bunk also, at the bottom, right in the middle, but I'm not sure if it's from the hinge or if somehow water is going around the seal down to that area.

Someone had posted a link to their photos of step by step replacement of the rubber seal at the bottom and the rubber gaskets that go around the door, but for the life of me, I can't find it. I'll keep searching and try to get that link to you.

Found it - http://picasaweb.google.com/NickYannucci/RooFrontBunk#
The thread linking this site is http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-kit-3945.html

Hope that helps.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #5

Thanks!!!! I'll more than likely be going to Camping world this weekend. Need to get on that before it does some major damage.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo