Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndickey View Post

I have a 2008 21ss. Ordered the trim that goes around the bunk doors from FR. It's called "white pinch seal" comes by the foot. It was an improvement from the original.
Sorry, the trim is called " white pinch welt " $1.80 per foot. Parts-Forest River, Sheri Dunlap, 574-642-2640 ext.136. Sheri was very helpful.
'08 Roo 21ss
'06 F150 5.4 Triton
ndickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #22

Quote:

Sorry, the trim is called " white pinch welt " $1.80 per foot. Parts-Forest River, Sheri Dunlap, 574-642-2640 ext.136. Sheri was very helpful.
Thank you. I'll make the call this morning. It's good to have the actual name of the material.
FourWheelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelers View Post

Thank you. I'll make the call this morning. It's good to have the actual name of the material.
Would you happen to know the name of the black rubber pieces attached to the locking clasp for the bunk ends?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #24

Quote:

Thanks for the tip! Called This morning and the parts are being shipped. Quick and easy to deal with.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #25

Quote:

Thanks for the tip! Called This morning and the parts are being shipped. Quick and easy to deal with.
Glad you got the parts ordered. I have the part number for the bed lock rubber seal but see that you don't need it now. I replaced the trim, the door lock seal and the rubber seal around the bunk opening, both ends. I think there's a thread on here or maybe YouTube that shows how to install the pinch welt so that you have a solid fit all the way around with no open ends.
'08 Roo 21ss
'06 F150 5.4 Triton
Old 06-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That's why we had a slidetopper installed on our Roo's superslide.
No more cleaning leaves/debris.
Where did you buy your topper?
coryhynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Glad you got the parts ordered. I have the part number for the bed lock rubber seal but see that you don't need it now. I replaced the trim, the door lock seal and the rubber seal around the bunk opening, both ends. I think there's a thread on here or maybe YouTube that shows how to install the pinch welt so that you have a solid fit all the way around with no open ends.
Hi there
Can i please have the part number for the black rubber pieces? Thx
coryhynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryhynes View Post
Where did you buy your topper?
We got ours from CW, who also installed it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryhynes View Post
Hi there
Can i please have the part number for the black rubber pieces? Thx
The description from my packing slip reads " 321 --- BED LOCK PAD --- BLACK FOAM SEAL W/ADHESIVE"
Hope this helps. I replaced all mine and the pinch welt around the bunks.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #30

Is it me or should FR be "seasoning" our tents. If everything I read says we must do this several times prior to the leaks stopping one would think this process could be done prior to shipping. I can't imagine Ford, Chevy or any other vehicle manufacture putting this process on a buyer.
theroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #31
Site Team

seasoning tent ends, is common to hybrids AND popups, and suggested by all manufacturers, not just FR.
everybody gets the same instructions for the canvas ends, not matter if they are made by National Tent Inc. or T.J. Snuggles, who both make tent ends for the RV industry.

so, you should be asking the whole industry why they don't season the tent ends on all their hybrids and popups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #32

Better ask the tent camping industry, too, because regular camping tents usually need to be seasoned, too.

Just imagine the manufacturer with a giant field of tents and folks hosing them down, then waiting for them to dry (hopefully not a rainy week) before they can be folded up and shipped. THAT's why they don't do it.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #33

Just imagine a multi Million dollar company with some type of climate controlled area where this type of thing could be done quickly. Let me put it this way. I just bought my daughter a brand new car. It cost less than my camper. If the manufacturer put in the manual that it was going to leak oil for the first few months until the seals broke in would anyone accept that? I certainly would not.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #34
Site Team

if you're going to start comparing the auto industry to the RV industry, you'll continue to be disappointed.

the only thing that both industries have in common is, they both have dealerships with salespeople, that sell things on wheels.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #35

I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't think I should spend $20.000 on a camper and have water come in and destroy it. Reading these for the past few Months I realize I'm not the only one. I have nothing out for FR, have owned many and loved them all (to include my ROO) I just think when they know there's a problem, whether it's leaking canvass or bunk ends that they gladly send you tubes of caulking to fix THEY need to address this at the factory. Peace and happy camping.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #36

UPDATE ON LEAKING BUNK ENDS

Hello all. I thought I had the leaking bunk ends solved when I replaced all trim and seals associated with the bunk ends. Went out today to clean the trailer and found the mattress wet again. Looks like all my efforts failed.

If anyone has any other fix, please let me know. I am going to try and call the factory to see if they have a modification to the 2010 Roo to fix this issue.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #37

I had that problem with our roo - one thing I found was that you need to ensure a good secure connection when the ends are up and locked. I noticed the rubber on the latches was a bit worn and basically was not pushing the doors in far enough and leaving a gap for water to get in.

I added a little bit of extra rubber on when they were more depressed and it seemed to push the ends in a bit better and actually sealed.

We still check once in a while but I think it's ok ...
Jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #38

JAMESM - I replaced all the pinch welt, gaskets, caulk and rubber pads in the beginning of July. Everything should be factory spec again.

I called Forest River warranty to see if I could get some help or information on a modification to fix the leak. This is an ongoing problem with this series and they stated the bunk doors were engineered differently to correct this.

Because I'm a second owner, I'm not covered under warranty. Forest River had no idea other than what I already did to repair the issue. Short of replacing the bunk door at my expense, I am out of options with them.

I have an idea on a fix for this issue. I may start a separate thread on this as I want to attract attention of anyone who may have tried my idea.

Basically, I'm looking for anyone that may have installed a length of gutter or rain deflector directly above the side bunk door. Also, if anyone has tried removing the screws holding the bunk frame and replaced them with counter sunk, flush screws.

If anyone reading this has, please let me know of your outcome.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #39

Quote:
JAMESM - I replaced all the pinch welt, gaskets, caulk and rubber pads in the beginning of July. Everything should be factory spec again.

I called Forest River warranty to see if I could get some help or information on a modification to fix the leak. This is an ongoing problem with this series and they stated the bunk doors were engineered differently to correct this.

Because I'm a second owner, I'm not covered under warranty. Forest River had no idea other than what I already did to repair the issue. Short of replacing the bunk door at my expense, I am out of options with them.

I have an idea on a fix for this issue. I may start a separate thread on this as I want to attract attention of anyone who may have tried my idea.

Basically, I'm looking for anyone that may have installed a length of gutter or rain deflector directly above the side bunk door. Also, if anyone has tried removing the screws holding the bunk frame and replaced them with counter sunk, flush screws.

If anyone reading this has, please let me know of your outcome.
I have an '08 21ss, replaced pinch welt, gaskets and rubber pads also. Works fine so far. I think a larger rain gutter would help but haven't been able to find one.
'08 Roo 21ss
'06 F150 5.4 Triton
Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #40

NDICKEY - I took a picture of the issue. This is with the new pinch welt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3826432421.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	38370

If the picture comes out, you should be able to see the gap left by the screws.