Old 09-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #1
Leaking bunk ends when closed

Hi folks. We have a 2016 Shamrock 183. In the last month, two of my bunk ends are leaking a significant amount when closed. Only when closed. I don't see where I could adjust the closure since it riveted in place.

I have heard mention of spacers that I could add to the bunk ends to give it a tighter seal. I dont see any visible issues with the factory seal. Where do I get these spacers? Any other suggestions? Many thanks.

ycj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
Just do a search on here and you will find several solutions including a gutter and putting a garden hose/PVC pipe over the top gasket area to prevent water from entering.

Les & Heidi Kramer
2010 GMC Sierra SLE & 2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Cleveland, OH
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Caution on spacers. A number of folks who've done it have reported breaking the clamping mechanism.
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
our front bed was leaking when closed (well, so was the back but not nearly as bad as the front) - I took it back to the dealer and they tightened the closing mechanisms. The handles now have some resistance to them when I close up the beds, little bit harder to snap closed. Waiting to see if that worked as it has only been two weeks and no real rain to speak of. Dealer said they recently have seen about 7-8 hybrids - all with loose handles. I am not sure how he tightened them but only took them about 30 minutes.
HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
Traveled 19520 miles and 209 nights in 7 years and counting
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:05 AM   #5
I first spoke with Forest River by phone, and they directed me to tighten the clamps myself by removing the two screws holding them to the camper, rotating to lengthen the roto-vice distance from the handle up to the clamp, and it helped but didn't stop the problem. A FR/Roo dealership tightened up the clamps under warranty and water tested it and returned it to me as repaired....and it has done great since. This summer's many rainstorms has given it a real test. I suggest taking it back to the dealer or another FR dealership.
2014 F150 SCrew 4x4 Max Tow Heavy Duty Payload 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5' bed Ingot Metallic Silver
2015 Rockwood Roo 21SS
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
Leaking bunk ends

Be sure that the tent material is not getting caught as you close the bunk ends. The best trick I learned from this forum is to close the windows and turn both fans on high. Once you close the door, it creates a vacuum, which sucks in the tent material. You can then easily close up the bunk ends with no chance of anything getting caught !
Krzykt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #7
Check the gaskets where they adhere around the opening. I had leaks as well on my 2017 IKSS. The gasket material around the upper corners of the bunks was lifting away causing the leaks. I secured the gaskets back down using 3M Black Super Gasket and Weatherstrip Adhesive that I got from Amazon and this fixed my problem.
Steve, Barb, and 5 daughters who love to camp
2017 Shamrock 23IKSS, Yellow sticker: 5314 lbs, Equil-i-zer 4pt. 1,000/10,000
2006 Fleetwood (Coleman) Niagara: Sold!
2003 Suburban 1500 Z71, 5.3/3.73, airbags, LT tires, Big Brake Upgrade, Prodigy P2
Shamrockthecasbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #8
We had some leaks initially when we got our 2015 IKSS back in 2014. The two things that fixed the problem are using the fans when closing up the beds, and also making sure that there is nothing on the top of the gasket (pine needles, tree debris, etc). I usually climb up on a ladder and brush off the top of the seals to make sure they are very clean. I also take a damp paper towel and wipe off the lip on the outside edge of the bunks to also make sure there isn't anything that will prevent a good seal. Since doing these simple things, the leaks have stopped and we are on our third season. Hope this helps.

I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote

bunk, leak