Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #1

Leaking Roo

I have a 2007 19ft. Rockwood Roo, I have a problem with leaking and the wood on the bottom of the fold out bed gets wet. Anyone else have this problem, and what can I do about it?
rockwood roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Site Team

you need to be more specific. does this happen after driving in rain or do you find the water after opening the bunk end or when it's setup in the rain?

just saying water inside doesn't give us enough info to determine possible causes.
one of the top Hybrid newbie mistakes, is getting canvas caught in the seals when closing up the bunk end, especially for vertically-challenged owners. this will allow water to seep in.
other causes are bad/crushed seals, leaking marker lights, bowed bunk door and a few others.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you need to be more specific. does this happen after driving in rain or do you find the water after opening the bunk end or when it's setup in the rain?

just saying water inside doesn't give us enough info to determine possible causes.
one of the top Hybrid newbie mistakes, is getting canvas caught in the seals when closing up the bunk end, especially for vertically-challenged owners. this will allow water to seep in.
other causes are bad/crushed seals, leaking marker lights, bowed bunk door and a few others.
Yup, what he said.
After you rule out things like canvas, or crud, or the "ropes" in the seals, give a very close look to the marker lights. The size of the holes they put through just for 2 little wires is, in a word, stupid. The sealant may not be applied properly around the lights, or, water is getting inside the light and running into the hole.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #4

Older Roos DO Leak

Although the general advice given by the other replies is correct, I suspect your problem is real. I noticed one of the respondents does own a Roo, but it is a 2010 and that is after Forest River addressed issues with the Roo.

If you search the web you will find many complaints about Roos leaking around the beds. Some people have problems around the outside of the bed and others have problems at the bottom. I own a 2006 17' and my problem is at the bottom. I believe water gets into the hinge area while the bed is open and when the bed is closed water seeps up and has caused the wood to swell and the fiberglass to de-laminate at the back. The problem is in the middle bottom of both beds so it doesn't appear the water comes in around the outside (for me).

In 2009 (I believe) the Roo's seal was changed around the outside of the bed and two seals were added in the hinge area. If you get your dealer to contact Forest River they will generally provide you the seal kit for free. Even though this basically is an admittance of a design issue by them, they won't pay for the labor to install the kits or replace the ruined bed platforms. In my case they would only ship me one kit even though my trailer has two beds. I am in Canada so it could be related to that. They don't seem to want to ship any kits up here (they didn't mind taking my Canadian money in the first place).
oshag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #5

We had the same problem. The issue with our 2007 23ss was design. It leaked when closed and when being towed. We did seal around the running lights. The holes are very large and we filled them with flexible caulking. We replaced our beds (front and back) last June. FR did supply the new bed units after we retained an attorney. We had to sign away any future claims which is why we are trading in the Roo. All the repairs and fix kits did not prevent water from entering the front bed. Just 10 months have gone by and we already have the beginnings of delamination in the front bed.
camper22406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #6

Yep, had the same problem in the front and back foldouts on my 2006 Roo 233. You must get the wet wood on the bed part of the foldouts off and let the inside dry. If the wood is wet, it is wet inside where the exterior plywood is glued to the fiberglass. If you do not open it up and let it dry out you will have delamination on the outside of your bunks. Over on rv.net there were picts showing how to replace the wood on the foldout. I replaced mine. Second, contact Rockwood and talk to Greg Rollins. He sent me the seal replacement kit. I replaced mine in 1/2 a day. Finally, add extra seals to the foldouts. Mine would leak everytime I traveled in the rain, right at the hinge until I added extra seals. Also make sure that you caulk every screw that attaches the foldout to the trailer. If not, they act like little straws sucking up moisture into the beds. put a Thin seal between the parts of the hinge.