Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #1

LED lighting and batteries

Hi to all, I have a question about LED lighting. I have a 2013 Roo 233S and want to convert to LED's for lighting. I have two Yamaha 2000 ginnys but the factory dual deep cycle batteries are just not lasting long enough even with us being VERY conservative. As far as I can tell all the interior lights are the same except for the one over the dinning table? I need to know the following, which LED lights would you reccomend, I have read on here about soft white etc. but do they just plug in to recepticle or do I have to do extra wiring. I know this is a dumb question to many but I do not know. I have read to spend about $20.00 apiece but still need advice. These are for as stated above a Roo 2013 233S. I am not an electrician and so Herk don't get to tech. with me, Ha.. Also might need to replace batteries with better ones like Trojans etc. any advice would be appreciated. Also, I have a Schumacher battery charger (Auto Switch) between quick charge and trickle. Need advice on charging batteries, do I remove caps each charge, when do I add distilled water etc. Not easy for me to get to batteries with bed out. Thanks in advance for any advice and here's to a safe & great camping season for all.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Retired and ready for Mtns.
Mr.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #2

I switched all my lites to LED and found them alittle dimmer and harsher on the eyes but still not bad. Your old bulbs just pull out and the new LED's just push into place. I switched all my lites over then went back and switched 2 out of the 5 I have in the common area of the trailer back to the old style incidesent bulbs so when I turn my LED's on the two lites with the incidesent bulbs help knock the harshness off the LED's and lite the trailer up to where it was when it came from the factory. I use the LED's when Im on batt. power and all of them when on shore power. I paid $20 for 20 LED's off of Ebay and they seem to work really good so far.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.W
Hi to all, I have a question about LED lighting. I have a 2013 Roo 233S and want to convert to LED's for lighting. I have two Yamaha 2000 ginnys but the factory dual deep cycle batteries are just not lasting long enough even with us being VERY conservative. As far as I can tell all the interior lights are the same except for the one over the dinning table? I need to know the following, which LED lights would you reccomend, I have read on here about soft white etc. but do they just plug in to recepticle or do I have to do extra wiring. I know this is a dumb question to many but I do not know. I have read to spend about $20.00 apiece but still need advice. These are for as stated above a Roo 2013 233S. I am not an electrician and so Herk don't get to tech. with me, Ha.. Also might need to replace batteries with better ones like Trojans etc. any advice would be appreciated. Also, I have a Schumacher battery charger (Auto Switch) between quick charge and trickle. Need advice on charging batteries, do I remove caps each charge, when do I add distilled water etc. Not easy for me to get to batteries with bed out. Thanks in advance for any advice and here's to a safe & great camping season for all.
I answered your bulb Q's in your other thread.

As for batteries, you first need to calculate, or at least estimate, you're power useage. What kind of camping are you doing and how long will you be off the grid and without a generator?

Trojans are quality and reliable batteries. There are other brands, too. Most of these manufacturers offer 12volt and 6 volt batteries. That's a more in depth discussion to have one you estimate your power use.

What model Schumacher is it? Quick charge is not a mode I would use with deep cycle batteries without knowing how many amps it's putting out.

Download this guide from Trojan to learn how to maintain batteries.

You will not be able to maintain the batteries too well with the bunk down. It can be done, but best to do maintenance with it up.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery