Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #1

Lessons from a first-time winterizer

Background: Up until this year, we had a Jayco pop-up. We never ran water through the camper, thus never bothered with winterizing.

However, now that we have a 2014 Roo 233S, we indulged in the luxury of running water. This means my first adventure into winterizing.

After much reading of the manual and online in this forum, I bought 5 gallons of RV Antifreeze from Camper's Inn and launched upon the endeavor.

I felt I would add my wisdom from experience to the forum in the event other newbies have similar questions. Here are things that I learned along the way:

-There are TWO low point drains to open, one for hot and one for cold. My cold was tucked behind the running cover and not easily seen.
-Be sure to open all the valves (sink, shower) when the low point drains are open to ensure they drain fully (need to break the vaccuum!)
-Not normal, but the cap for my fresh water tank was missing.
-Very not normal, when I opened the door to access the water heater, a tank cap fell out from... somewhere. I think it was tucked into the running board near the low point drains. Providential, given I was short a cap.
-1 and 1/16" socket with extension and breaker bar to get the stubborn anode rod out of the tank.
-Unscrew the right-hand hinge on the access door to the water filter area. The door then swings open for you to do your work.
-Have a towel and bucket handy to dump the water from the water filter housing. Keep the towel on the floor under the housing location for extra drips.
-Use the plastic wrench that came with the camper (might be hidden in a Forest River velcro bag) to remove and reinstall the filter housing.
-Leave the access door open as this will give you a good view to the antifreeze as it runs through the filter housing.
-Best way to access the back of the water heater: lower the back of the couch, then lift the couch seat to get at the valves. Be sure to lower the leg on the back of the couch to support you as you are reaching into the valves.
-The shower valves turn inward to close. That is, the left-hand valve turns clockwise, and the right-hand valve turns counter-clockwise. If you have them turned the same direction, then one of them will be open.
-I chose to not use the antifreeze inlet this time. I poured the antifreeze into the fresh water tank to pump it through the lines. You'll want a funnel to get the antifreeze in.
-If you don't have a funnel, a turkey baster (with the rubber end removed) will serve as a reasonable funnel.
-Be sure to keep 1 or 2 gallons to pour directly into the grey/black tanks, as recommended by FR.
-After pumping through the lines, you'll want to backfill the city water inlet. You do this by carefully removing the screen on the inlet. There is a white peg. You push this in to backflow the antifreeze through the city inlet.
-The antifreeze will come out at HIGH PRESSURE. Do not stand in front of it, lest you get soaked with water and antifreeze. Do not look straight into the valve as you press in, as you will get a face full of antifreeze. AT HIGH PRESSURE. It didn't sting or burn... but it was not at all pleasant.
-Don't forget to put the screen back into the city water inlet.
-Don't forget the outside shower, both hot and cold valves.
-Don't forget to flush out the toilet.
-Don't forget to turn off the water pump.

That's pretty much my list of what I learned this year. Next year: using the antifreeze inlet.

-t
the8re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #2

Forgetting to backflush the city water inlet is a often missed step. Good on you for including it in your instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
WFD

Silly question...but I assume your water pump still needs to be on when you press in the white peg, thus creating the back pressure, and to draw up the antifreeze.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

You forgot to pour antifreeze in all the drains to fill the p traps.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You forgot to pour antifreeze in all the drains to fill the p traps.

I did that for sure. This wasn't meant to be an inclusive list by any means. I was looking more to "fill in the gaps" for the questions I had when I started.

-t
Old 10-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Silly question...but I assume your water pump still needs to be on when you press in the white peg, thus creating the back pressure, and to draw up the antifreeze.
Mine was on when I pressed in the valve. I believe little, if anything, would come out without the pump on.

-t
Old 10-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #7

I haven't used antifreeze in the pressurized water system for quite a few winters now. Not only an added expense but the flushing in the spring is a hassle.

I start by opening the freshwater drain to empty that tank and then run the pump until it has cleared the suction line from the FW tank. The pump's check valve will keep any water from flowing back in the following steps.

I open all the fixtures, the water heater pressure relief, remove the WH anode rod or plug and the two low point drain ends and go have a beer until everything stops dripping.

I then blow it out using compressed air (turned down to 40psi) in the city water connection and direct the airflow through each fixture one at a time by closing the others until I get nothing but air (don't forget to hold the toilet flush valve until all the water is expelled from the toilet too). I do close the HW pressure relief so the spring isn't compressed all winter but every other point remains open all winter.

I use a plunger to push all the water out of the kitchen and bathroom sink and shower traps and then give the holding tanks a final/drain. Almost no water left anywhere by then and all it takes is about 2 litres of antifreeze (the good, propylene glycol-based stuff) to fill the traps and a little bit of excess/overflow will take care of any residual water against the gate valves in the holding tanks. I do pour a bit down the toilet, even though it has no trap, just to get some to the gate valve there.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #8

Nevermind.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #9

For those with a water heater bypass valve make sure you open it. If not water sits on top, freezes and splits the valve. Also make sure the black tank water flush line is blown out or filled with antifeeze or the vacuum breaker will split.
Ask me how I know!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
For those with a water heater bypass valve make sure you open it. If not water sits on top, freezes and splits the valve. Also make sure the black tank water flush line is blown out or filled with antifeeze or the vacuum breaker will split.
Ask me how I know!!
hmmm. Is there any sort of documentation where this is?
Is there a step by step document specifically for winterizing the Roo Models ?

As a new owner, I'm getting a little overwhelmed by this and worried that I might forget something.

Thanks.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #11

Thank you for the information. I am going to try this. I was having such a hard time with the antifreeze inlet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Murf345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post

As a new owner, I'm getting a little overwhelmed by this and worried that I might forget something.

Thanks.
kpm, I pretty much followed the step by step instructions in the Travel Trailer manual that came with the Roo. There are two sets, one for using a compressor and one without. I did the without method.

Also, my local Camper's Inn had a display showing all the valves in a "standard" setup. They talked me through when I went in to buy the antifreeze, and it was a huge help. Hopefully you can find a local dealer/supplier who has something similar if you are stuck.

Finally, if you do get stuck, come back and post and we'll help you out!

Good luck!

-t
Old 10-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #13

My dealer also put the cap to my water tank inside the hot water heater door (the one that fell out when you opened the door) so that sounds familiar. My first time winterizing, I learned...after the fourth gallon of anti-freeze...to shut the low point drains before sucking it in. Now I only need one gallon.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post

Thanks.
there is no such thing, in the RV industry, regarding model-specific manuals anymore.
there is nothing Roo/Shamrock-specific, other than the canvas care and maintenance sheet.
that's one of the reasons that forums like this one, have become more and more popular. you can get info about your model of RV, from other veteran owners.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #15

Thanks for sharing your info!

I'm getting ready to start the process myself on our new 233S, so very timely!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #16

There isn't a snow ball's chance in hell that I'm letting the husband attempt any of this. Is there any shame in having a guy who used to work for an rv dealer make some extra cash? It's worth any price in my mind rather than chance something going wrong!
hockeyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #17
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfam View Post
There isn't a snow ball's chance in hell that I'm letting the husband attempt any of this. Is there any shame in having a guy who used to work for an rv dealer make some extra cash? It's worth any price in my mind rather than chance something going wrong!
There really isn't that much to it...plus you learn a lot about your trailer at the same time...if unsure, I would get that guy over so he can teach you how its done....valuable info for you to have for the future.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #18

Don't be afraid! Conceptually it's pretty simple. Get the water out. Plus you save a lot of money not paying someone else to do it and the extra expense and time of having to tow (or drive) your unit into the RV Dealer. It's an all labor expense as the anti-freeze is very cheap to purchase at your local hardware store.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #19

Now that was dead simple ... but not as dead simple as my brain! More on that in a moment.

I decided I would do my own winterizing of the pipes this year. The dealer did it last year at no charge as the trailer was on their lot waiting for a back wall replacement and it was delayed, so they winterized just in case.

I came on here and read what folks were saying. Opened up under the bathroom sink, and there was my pump, and even better, the already installed bypass value and extra hose (I had already drained and turned off the valves for the hot water heater last week).

I opened the RV antifreeze, put the hose in the bottle, turned on the pump, then opened one tap at a time until pink. WOW, the dealers charge how much for that? Really, less than 5 minutes.

Oh, the dead simple part of my brain? When I was all done and feeling good about saving money (and the fact that I had the rest of the afternoon off to myself) I remembered the City Water intake. Took off the screen, looked in and saw the little white button I read about. Said to myself "hmmm, so there it is. So they warn not to be right in front of it when you push the button eh?" So I pushed it. Needed to clean my glasses anyway.

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycej View Post
Now that was dead simple ... but not as dead simple as my brain! More on that in a moment.

I decided I would do my own winterizing of the pipes this year. The dealer did it last year at no charge as the trailer was on their lot waiting for a back wall replacement and it was delayed, so they winterized just in case.

I came on here and read what folks were saying. Opened up under the bathroom sink, and there was my pump, and even better, the already installed bypass value and extra hose (I had already drained and turned off the valves for the hot water heater last week).

I opened the RV antifreeze, put the hose in the bottle, turned on the pump, then opened one tap at a time until pink. WOW, the dealers charge how much for that? Really, less than 5 minutes.

Oh, the dead simple part of my brain? When I was all done and feeling good about saving money (and the fact that I had the rest of the afternoon off to myself) I remembered the City Water intake. Took off the screen, looked in and saw the little white button I read about. Said to myself "hmmm, so there it is. So they warn not to be right in front of it when you push the button eh?" So I pushed it. Needed to clean my glasses anyway.
lol...So seeing is believing!! :-)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize