Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfam View Post
There isn't a snow ball's chance in hell that I'm letting the husband attempt any of this. Is there any shame in having a guy who used to work for an rv dealer make some extra cash? It's worth any price in my mind rather than chance something going wrong!

Wow..... Who drives the truck and back the unit in and set up camp? Talk about slamming the DH. Every unit will have 'something go wrong' from time to time and every owner should know the basics on how to fix them or when to call a professional.
You do not need a professional to do this.....
__________________

__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
rsscully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 183
$10 for a fitting to blow the lines out, $18 for six gallons of antifreeze (only used 3), and $6 for a fitting to make up a hose to connect to the pump. Took me about twenty minutes and I have everything to do it next year so it should cost me nothing. Oh yeah, $10 for a bucket of damp rid. Very easy to do. Have faith in your husband.
__________________

__________________
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #23
Member
 
Carlosrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 80
TVs

Perhaps this is a dumb question to ask, .

Has anyone ever considered removing the flat panel TV's and bringing in the house for the winter? Do they withstand the winter?
__________________
Live, so that when your children hear the words Ethics, Trust, Integrity and Honor, they think of YOU!
2015 Shamrock 23 IKSS Pushing a 2015 Durango R/T. Yeah, it's a Hemi
Nights Camped - 2013/17 - 2014/24 - 2015/22 - 2016/Pending

USMC - Semper Fi
Carlosrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosrod View Post
Perhaps this is a dumb question to ask, .

Has anyone ever considered removing the flat panel TV's and bringing in the house for the winter? Do they withstand the winter?


Your tv will be fine.
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #25
Member
 
Carlosrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 80
Thank You, Brother Les.

As I was planning my winterizing strategy, my 12 year old son says to me "Dad, what about the TV?"

I said "No. That stays." In his infinite wisdom, he goes to me "But Dad, the TV is LCD, Liquid Crystal. Wont the liquid freeze?"

To which I said "Nah",
Began to think and left a bit of doubt.

Leave it to a 12 year old.
__________________
Live, so that when your children hear the words Ethics, Trust, Integrity and Honor, they think of YOU!
2015 Shamrock 23 IKSS Pushing a 2015 Durango R/T. Yeah, it's a Hemi
Nights Camped - 2013/17 - 2014/24 - 2015/22 - 2016/Pending

USMC - Semper Fi
Carlosrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #26
WFD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosrod View Post
Perhaps this is a dumb question to ask, .

Has anyone ever considered removing the flat panel TV's and bringing in the house for the winter? Do they withstand the winter?
Not a dumb question at all...you will get both yays and nays on this one...I remove ours...gets to below 0 here for long periods of time.I k ow they transport tv's in cargo trucks in winter...I know, I know, I know....but for that long a period of time I bring in the house...other thing is more than one dealer has told me trailers get broken in to fairly commonly for the tv's...takes me 2 minutes to unplug and remove the mounting screws, so I do it...I also take batteries out of the remotes, clocks, smoke detector etc, I dont leave any batteries in the trlr for the winter in case one leaks and makes a mess.
__________________
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
2016 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosrod View Post
Thank You, Brother Les.

As I was planning my winterizing strategy, my 12 year old son says to me "Dad, what about the TV?"

I said "No. That stays." In his infinite wisdom, he goes to me "But Dad, the TV is LCD, Liquid Crystal. Wont the liquid freeze?"

To which I said "Nah",
Began to think and left a bit of doubt.

Leave it to a 12 year old.
Hug your son and teach him as well as you can and give him the rope (freedom) to learn and grow. Time fly's so cherish every moment in all that you do.

Yesterday, my babies were in a 'home made' crib on the bed in the camper. Now they are in their mid twenties and caring for the old folks, instead of the other way around.

If you have the threat of vandalism and a place to store in house, that is an option. Nobody bothers my 'stuff', because my dog is mean, and I am mean and nobody will mess with the 'big she dog'.....
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Not a dumb question at all...you will get both yays and nays on this one...I remove ours...gets to below 0 here for long periods of time.I k ow they transport tv's in cargo trucks in winter...I know, I know, I know....but for that long a period of time I bring in the house...other thing is more than one dealer has told me trailers get broken in to fairly commonly for the tv's...takes me 2 minutes to unplug and remove the mounting screws, so I do it...I also take batteries out of the remotes, clocks, smoke detector etc, I dont leave any batteries in the trlr for the winter in case one leaks and makes a mess.
We had -20 degF here for about 3 weeks last winter. No problems with the TV this summer.

Many people keep their batteries in the freezer to keep them fresh, so I leave them in the camper, too. (Not the house battery, though, of course! That comes home and goes on the charger.)
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #29
Member
 
keep camping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 77
Quote:
For those with a water heater bypass valve make sure you open it. If not water sits on top, freezes and splits the valve.
I have never opened the water heater bypass valve back up after blowing out w compressor and pumping antifreeze in. Haven't had it freeze, and I'm in northern MN. Assuming because I've already blown all the water out before I close the bypass valve. My Dad (a plumber) always tells me to remove water from sink/shower drains with wet vac before pouring a/f down so as not to dilute it. I don't consider it overkill with our temps....an ounce of prevention. BTW I'm DW and I do the winterizing every year, DH never has time. So if I can do it, anybody can! 4 years without a problem!
__________________
2 Happy Campers & CoCoa the camping Yorkiepoo
2005 Salem LE 19FD
2009 Ford F150 Lariat
keep camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep camping View Post
I have never opened the water heater bypass valve back up after blowing out w compressor and pumping antifreeze in. Haven't had it freeze, and I'm in northern MN. Assuming because I've already blown all the water out before I close the bypass valve. My Dad (a plumber) always tells me to remove water from sink/shower drains with wet vac before pouring a/f down so as not to dilute it. I don't consider it overkill with our temps....an ounce of prevention. BTW I'm DW and I do the winterizing every year, DH never has time. So if I can do it, anybody can! 4 years without a problem!

The key here is the anti-freeze in the system. I don't use air on my lines, just let everything flow to the low point drains. Then use anti-freeze going through the water pump and into all the lines.
__________________

__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
winter, winterize

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.