Old 10-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #31
kpm

here is a really cool detailed video of a guy winterizing a Rockwood 2304. Might help. It did for me. Thanks for staring this thread. This process is becoming clearer for me!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #32
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8re View Post
Background:

-I chose to not use the antifreeze inlet this time. I poured the antifreeze into the fresh water tank to pump it through the lines. You'll want a funnel to get the antifreeze in.
-If you don't have a funnel, a turkey baster (with the rubber end removed) will serve as a reasonable funnel.

-t
the8re.
Thanks for starting this thread. Why did you choose to pour the antifreeze in the fresh water tank when introducing it into the system versus using the antifreeze inlet? I'm guessing you use a regular water hose when using the inlet? Is pouring it into the tank easier, but do you use more antifreeze?

Thanks for the info!!!!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:11 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post
the8re.
Thanks for starting this thread. Why did you choose to pour the antifreeze in the fresh water tank when introducing it into the system versus using the antifreeze inlet? I'm guessing you use a regular water hose when using the inlet? Is pouring it into the tank easier, but do you use more antifreeze?

Thanks for the info!!!!
kpm,

I had not fashioned a hose for the inlet, and I felt more comfortable doing the freshwater tank method. But from what I can tell, using the inlet uses less antifreeze, it requires just the hose from the inlet to the jugs (and someone to swap them out, and flipping one valve to bypass the freshwater tank.

Next year I will likely use the inlet.

-t
Old 10-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #34

I used the antifreeze inlet on my trailer this year and it worked great. Then my father in-law asked me "What about the hose from the fresh water tank to the 3 way valve at the pump?"

I ended up pouring antifreeze into the fresh water tank and pumping it through the system to make sure that section was protected...
Pulling with 2011 Silverado 1500
Equilizer Hitch
liquidicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #35
kpm

thanks so much!
I had the chance to dive into the plumbing config and trace the pipes and hoses etc... to get a better understanding of all of this. I'm so ready and excited to do this! I'll save money and also get a better understanding of the trailer.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #36

Is winterizing necessary when you live in a location that rarely gets that cold? I live in the Central Valley, CA, where temps *might* get below freezing for a few days, maybe a week or two at most I'd wager.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s GVWR
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #37

Once the water is completely frozen, it's done it's damage. If you're just talking below 32 overnight, then back up, I'd say you're OK, but if it stays below 32 for 24 hrs or so, then I'd be winterizing.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
Is winterizing necessary when you live in a location that rarely gets that cold? I live in the Central Valley, CA, where temps *might* get below freezing for a few days, maybe a week or two at most I'd wager.

I live in mid Mo and for 20 years never put RV antifreeze in any of my units. I just drained the Water Heater, drained all water tanks, opened all faucets, removed shower hose, and drained all water out of the low water drain valves. Never had any problems with months of below freezing weather. But..... I always had in the back of my mind that I may have to repair some busted line or connection and was prepared to do so.

When we bought our new Forest River, I did not know how 'fair' over the winter it would be, and would it 'drain' enough out to cause not issues? We had a very harsh winter here in Mid Mo last year and I was glad I winterized it with the RV antifreeze. It turned out to be very easy to do and used only one gallon.

The very least drain everything and open the faucets. You may be able to get by with out winterizing it 1,2 or 20 years with no problems. But.... can you fix a problem or do you want to pay for it if something does bust. An hour or two of your time and a gallon of RV antifreeze will let you sleep a lot better on those few cold days and night.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #39

Why take the chance. You would just need one cold day/night, and you have more than a 5 minute repair job.
It REALLY IS SO EASY to do. 5 minutes and your done.

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #40

Good information, I think the dealer will be doing it for me....He charge $60, but I can't find one way that everyone agrees on....And I just can't take the chance..

Jim

Tags
winter, winterize