Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #21

frameless windows

I added the frameless windows to my coachmen apex when ordered. I hope I don't have the same problem with mine. I will follow up on here later. Thanks for the repair info I'll keep that handy in case I need it.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #22

I made a thread almost two years ago that this was happening to my 2016 233S and at the time no one else had this problem - I'm sad and happy to see this post.......Hoping that maybe I can get mine fixed or fix it myself because mine's still broke and the window was replaced and on the way home with this new window 25 miles or so it happened again - flipping in the wind, it's sad because we LOVE the trailer but man every time I walk past the window and see it taped closed is sad for a 20,000 dollar trailer!!!!!

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #23

This issue also occurs in the 23IKSS. I have been taping the knob so it will not turn while driving. If you crank down the window it just breaks the crank.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #24

Thought Id post a follow up - Left for Minnesota Wednesday afternoon after pulling the boy out of school. We never made any stops along the way. It was just under 2.5 hour drive, but I did keep an eye on the window through the mirror. I checked the window first thing when we arrived. It had loosened a little bit. Not enough to let it flap in the wind, but enough to give it a little wiggle when I pulled on the glass from the outside. Gave the crank a 1/8 turn and that tightened it down. We camped through the weekend, having most of the windows open and not running the air. That particular window we never open because it will contact the door when open so we prefer to leave it shut. Im paranoid that the wind will catch the door, or a certain careless 10 year old will push the door open too hard and break the window if open. Drove home without a stop. Checked the window after I parked the camper. Window was still shut tight. I'll just have to keep an eye on it during future trips.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #25

Yeah....gonna have to add that on the list of things to check when I depart or stop for fuel
metalmike57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT233S View Post
I made a thread almost two years ago that this was happening to my 2016 233S and at the time no one else had this problem - I'm sad and happy to see this post.......Hoping that maybe I can get mine fixed or fix it myself because mine's still broke and the window was replaced and on the way home with this new window 25 miles or so it happened again - flipping in the wind, it's sad because we LOVE the trailer but man every time I walk past the window and see it taped closed is sad for a 20,000 dollar trailer!!!!!
Just a thought..... Have you tried to tighten the screw from the inside? I have a 23ikss and had read this post awhile ago, so I checked mine to see if I would have the same problem. Mine seems to be secure, but I would tighten that screw 1st
Rooikss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #27

For those that are interested, I did come across this part today. It appears to be the same crank mechanism but the arms are shorter. But those can probably be drilled out and replaced with the arms from the current crank. I cant speak to the fit, I haven't ordered one. Just thought id share, as I still haven't found the "correct" part.

RV Vent Operator Twin Arm Assembly 3.937" Window Trailer Deco Series 706261 * | eBay
Old 06-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #28

maybe something like this would help...

Rockwood Door Stops
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #29

Our brand new 233s also have the exact same issue. The crank handle broke within the first 3 days. It actually probably came from the factory that way but we just didn't notice it. Fortunately it was covered under warranty.Click image for larger version

Name:	1496624277992.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	140131
skydive121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
The dealership I bought the camper from must assume all its costumers are morons and will not order and ship anything that would allow me to do the work myself. At least not with warranty claims.
Warranty work now has to be approved by FR and they want documentation, including pics.

I dont know any business that would allow warranty work to be done by a consumer. I used to work in construction, we repaired/replaced a lot of our customers work that their expert maintenance employees botched.

When we had a bunk end fail I contacted FR directly. Great customer service, they got back immediately and we had the new bunk end shipped directly to us. I then took it to my local FR dealer and they installed it, FR paid for everything.

Your repair BTW looks great. FR ought to pay you to make a repair guide and do a little training for their trainers if it solves this problem.
2 in a Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Can't help you with that one, I haven't come across it yet. Every forum uses their own lingo. I'm also on a beer brewing forum, they don't use the term DW. In stead they use SWMBO. it stands for "she who must be obeyed". Took a while to figure that one out.
XYZ was the first DW acronym I learned about as a kid.
2 in a Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in a Roo View Post
Warranty work now has to be approved by FR and they want documentation, including pics.

I dont know any business that would allow warranty work to be done by a consumer. I used to work in construction, we repaired/replaced a lot of our customers work that their expert maintenance employees botched.

When we had a bunk end fail I contacted FR directly. Great customer service, they got back immediately and we had the new bunk end shipped directly to us. I then took it to my local FR dealer and they installed it, FR paid for everything.

Your repair BTW looks great. FR ought to pay you to make a repair guide and do a little training for their trainers if it solves this problem.

Ive gone directly through Forest River for my first warranty claim regarding my bunk seals. They were all installed incorrectly from factory and leaked. FR sent me the seals directly to install. Its a win/win for them. They settle the claim without having to pay for labor.
The work I was referring to was nothing as involved as repairing that window crank. I did have my camper in to have warranty work done over the winter. Dropped it off in November and didn't get it back until after the holidays. Every week on Friday I got a call saying they were short techs and did not get to my camper that week, they would get it in the following. I wasn't all that concerned because it would otherwise be sitting in storage. The items I took it in to have repaired were:

-A chip in the finish of one of the knobs on the cabinet above the dinette.
This chip has been there since I picked it up but did not notice it until after the PDI and I had it home.

-The black plastic pole mount on the rear bunk horseshoe had a crack in it. We suspect it was there from the start but again did not notice it. The tech that did the PDI had it set up before we arrived and did most of the work of taking it back down. I made a note of it when I saw it the first time I set it up. It was still usable, but I still wanted it fixed.

-Also wanted them to look at the metal frame under the fresh water tank as it fell out when I was filling it before our last trip last year. The angle bent out and allowed the tank to fall to the ground. The wiring for 2 of the level sensors were pulled out of the tank but the plumbing was not damaged. I managed to get it mostly straight and back in with a mini sledge and a vice, but I wanted them to see if there was anything they could do to repair it, otherwise I would tackle that project in the spring. I also wanted the wiring hooked back up.

-Had a water leak to look at near the pump that I found when I was winterizing.

-Lastly was a tire that blew out about 10 minutes after leaving the dealership after our PDI. The dealership had closed by the time I got the spare on. So I drove it home and contacted Forrest River. They advised me to replace it and take the old tire into the dealership. If they could find a manufacturer defect, they would reimburse me $75.

They finally called me and said it was ready to be picked up. I made the 2 hr drive there on a Saturday to get it. They had it waiting outside their service center. The guy I spoke to explained quickly the work that was done and tried to send me on my way. He said they looked at the fresh water tank and there was nothing they could do other than what I had already done. The only thing they found with the tire is the gash put in it from the rim when it went flat. FR denied that claim. They repaired the water leak and did not see any damage to the floor. When he mentioned the knob for the cupboard, he said it was on order and they would call me back when it arrived to arrange a time for me to bring it back in. I stopped him right there and said I was not wasting that much time and fuel for them to install 1 screw in a knob. The only way I was leaving with the camper is if they agreed to mail it to me. They refused. They gave me some story about FR policy that they had to install it blah, blah. I called BS on that as I had a previous warranty claim involving the bunk seals. I contacted Jake Carter in the Flagstaff warranty dept. and he sent me out enough seal to replace all three bunks. I never even went through the dealership with that one. I was on my way back out to the truck, without the camper, when they reluctantly agreed to mail me the knob. So I hitched it up and was on my way. He never mentioned the pole bracket for the rear bunk, and I honestly forgot about it after arguing with them about the dumb knob. I did not inspect any of the other work done as most of it was inaccessible without folding down the bunks and running the slide. Im not a fan of breaking seals and messing with the canvas when its that cold out. It was about 10º when I picked it up and the overnight lows have been below zero all that week.
Come April I began to dewinterize. Installed the knob they mailed me. Found the shepherds hook bracket had not been replaced. Looked over the other items. The wiring for the fresh water tank had also not been repaired. I was starting to think they just wanted my camper out of the way so they sent it out without doing any of the work. Called them up, kind of annoyed. Said I would fix the wiring, as I probably have to drop the tank to repair the support angle for the tank anyway. I wanted them to mail me the part for the bunk. They again refused. After going round with them for 20 minutes or so they asked me to send them a pic of the part and they would get one out. I emailed the pic. Did not get a response. Waited a week and called back. The chick I talked to before was not in but they took a message. Never got a call back. Tried emailing again, never got a response. I have no doubt they will not do anything unless I actually bring the trailer back to them. I eventually bought the bracket out of pocket. I found a set of 2 for $9 online. I bought 4, one for the broken bunk and a spare for every bunk for a cost of $18+tax and shipping. Hardly worth the time and fuel costs to make the 2 hr trip. That's more what I was referring to. If they cant trust me with a screw driver enough to replace 2 screws in a horseshoe bracket, theyre not going to trust me to drill rivets out of the window crank mechanism so I never bothered to contact them. I just wanted to find the part on my own and buy it out of pocket as it would be less expensive than a warranty claim. I don't blame FR at all for any of that, Its mostly on the dealership with myself taking some responsibility for not proofing their work.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #33
Senior Camper

Talking Window Crank Source for Shamrock

After trying to find window crank mechanism at Camping World (basically 'Are you insane') we found a source for the mechanism. We contacted Pelland Enterprises (www.Pellandent.com) and had the part in three days. It was installed in thirty minutes. The Pelland Part # in h008-229. Description is Hehr 10 1/2" Torque Operator Large.
thehendersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehendersons View Post
After trying to find window crank mechanism at Camping World (basically 'Are you insane') we found a source for the mechanism. We contacted Pelland Enterprises (www.Pellandent.com) and had the part in three days. It was installed in thirty minutes. The Pelland Part # in h008-229. Description is Hehr 10 1/2" Torque Operator Large.
Pelland Enterprises Motor Home Products - RV Windows

That actually looks like the part exactly. I had a heck of a time trying to find that one, but I kind of gave up after I repaired mine. I will save that for future reference. Thanks for the link.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #35

Quote:
I eventually bought the bracket out of pocket. I found a set of 2 for $9 online. I bought 4, one for the broken bunk and a spare for every bunk for a cost of $18+tax and shipping.
Hi Finster,
Can you share where you found the bracket? I accidentally broke one and would like to pick up a few for "backup."
AustinChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:28 PM   #36

Forest River 10-B-18 Pop-Up Camper Bed Pole Connector Base - 2 Pack | Hanna Trailer Supply Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Old 12-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehendersons View Post
How was the installation? Can you provide any tips? I have the same issue on the same window and do not wish to make the 3 hr trip to the dealer for it.
wardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #38

UPDATE to my post titled "Frameless Window fixed- Rockwood Mini-Lite 1809S" from 9/16

Original thread too old to reply - The same frame-less window mechanism which was repaired under warranty in 9/2016 has again failed. The window started flapping in the wind 4 hours into a 9 day, 1800 mile trip. Luckily, I had the spring clamps in my tool kit that had been suggested in other frame-less window failure threads. I am going to order 2 mechanisms and keep one in my tool kit for future use and replace the broken one myself drilling out rivets and replace with bolt and nylon insert nuts. The mechanism housing actually failed at the bottom of the housing with a semi circular piece of metal breaking off. I am thinking that the plastic handle is contacting the housing before actually tightening the window down which would keep the air flow from getting under front edge of the window and lifting it away from seal. before and after repairs that knob just never felt like it was tightening down all the way. I was wondering if a thin rubber or composite washer of some sort between the handle and housing would give handle more friction to keep window from opening.
Equalizer E4 - 600 TW, 6000 GTW
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandS View Post
Original thread too old to reply - The same frame-less window mechanism which was repaired under warranty in 9/2016 has again failed. The window started flapping in the wind 4 hours into a 9 day, 1800 mile trip. Luckily, I had the spring clamps in my tool kit that had been suggested in other frame-less window failure threads. I am going to order 2 mechanisms and keep one in my tool kit for future use and replace the broken one myself drilling out rivets and replace with bolt and nylon insert nuts. The mechanism housing actually failed at the bottom of the housing with a semi circular piece of metal breaking off. I am thinking that the plastic handle is contacting the housing before actually tightening the window down which would keep the air flow from getting under front edge of the window and lifting it away from seal. before and after repairs that knob just never felt like it was tightening down all the way. I was wondering if a thin rubber or composite washer of some sort between the handle and housing would give handle more friction to keep window from opening.
Bummer! I keep a small spring clamp on mine when we're traveling. Hoping you're able to come up with a better solution.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChad View Post
Bummer! I keep a small spring clamp on mine when we're traveling. Hoping you're able to come up with a better solution.
I have mine wrapped in duct tape.

Tags
1809s, frame, led, lite, rockwood, window