Old 09-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #1

Looking at a 2014 Roo 23ikss -

Coming from the Pop-Up world, I have a few questions. -
Anyone have any problems with these we should be aware of?
Do the LED awning lights run on battery?
Does the stove run when you are on battery?
How is the heating and air conditioning for the rear bunk?

Camper is in good shape, and we are probably going to pull the trigger, but had a few questions.

Thanks!

Jason \

cousin_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin_eddie View Post
Coming from the Pop-Up world, I have a few questions. -

Camper is in good shape, and we are probably going to pull the trigger, but had a few questions.

Thanks!

Jason \
LED lighting is 12v DC.
Stove is propane, not 12v nor 110v electric. I'm wondering what you think the battery would run on a stove. My popup stove were just propane, like the Roo's.
a/c will be from ceiling ducts, heat from ducts at floor level.

You need to get Popup Gizmos and Reflectix for the tent ends for maintaining temperatures.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:48 PM   #3

some have problems with the tent ends not sealing against the trailer and letting in rain water when closed for storage... there are threads on how to adjust the locks for a better seal, or you can replace the rubber gasket if necessary

inside and outside lights all run on battery, and the stove only needs a propane tank.

The best thing about the hybrid is the electric (120VAC only) heated mattresses. No such thing as crawling into a cold bed with it plugged into power. Air movement in the tent ends is important to help combat condensation and cool air movement, but you should have a light/fan combo for each bunk that runs off 12V that helps with that. I almost always have a 20 inch fan running in the trailer with the air directed usually straight up or to the rear to provide better air circulation in the trailer and the bunks with the AC on or off.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:17 AM   #4

These are highly versatile trailers. Unlike many travel trailers that now depend on "residential" type refrigerators and other appliances.

The range and oven are LP and need no power. The water heater and furnace are also LP but they need 12vDC to light and in the case of the furnace run the blower. The refrigerator is LP but needs 12vDC for the logic board. All can get their 12vDC via the converter when on shorepower or directly from the battery. Water heater and refrigerator will also run on straight 120vAC on shorepower.

-- Chuck
Old 09-12-2019, 06:36 AM   #5

I came out of a pop us as well and the difference is night and day... You'll be very happy come set up and tear down time and the extra room and creature comforts will be appreciated as well...

The bunk ends are the where you want to pay the most attention when shopping. There are seals around them that you need to watch after so when closed you don't get any leaks... If there are any signs of delamination where the fiberglass is separating from the core, soft spots on the floor etc this would indicate a leak and these sorts of repairs are costly.
Equalizer WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
LED lighting is 12v DC.
Stove is propane, not 12v nor 110v electric. I'm wondering what you think the battery would run on a stove.

Stove? Nothing I guess. Oven? Electronic ignition, timers, safeties, just off the top of my head. I guess Im sorry for using the wrong technical word, but I meant oven....
Old 09-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ive had pop ups almost my entire life, but never a travel trailer. Wife would like a bathroom, so that will take some getting used to as well. Our current pop up has two batteries on it, as we both have CPAP masks, this one only has one. With all the 12 loads, Im thinking a second battery will be coming next spring. Although now with all the 120 volt creature comforts, maybe I can talk her into staying at places with hook ups. :-)
Old 09-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #8

The 23ikss has a total of 2 heat vents, both at the back and one of these is in the bathroom (with 2 slides there's no room to run floor ducting to the front) so it takes awhile for the heat to get distributed. As mentioned, fans help a lot. There are no A/C ducts, of course, in the bunks, but ducts are nearby. As a pop-up person you may already be familiar with PUGS. These help quite a bit.
About half our camping is non electric so I carry 2 Group 24 true deep cycle batteries that I top off daily on the genset. DW uses a CPAP and one daughter who often visits also wears one. These are AC units. I carry a separate battery and inverter in the camper to power these (also topped off daily by the genset).
One nice thing about the 23ikss is you get almost instant hot water in the shower. If the hot water tank were located any closer, it would be in the shower with you.
What took me some time to get used to is the fridge in the slide. As there is no chimney to exhaust hot air through the roof, it exits along the upper side and needs help from a computer type fan stuck back in the coils. The fridge works fine, just has that periodic whirring sound.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping 2015, 45 in 2016, 42 in 2017, 37 in 2018
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #9

CNYCamper - Never really thought of the fridge exhaust in the bump out, thats a good point.

Both of our CPAP units have the option of a 12 volt power supply, so all I need for them is a cigarette lighter style plug. In the pop up, we made a corded power supply that I an through the canvas directly to the battery. Because the draw on these things is so low (without the heated water running), Im thinking I should be able to install power outlets in the front and back and just run them through the camper wiring.

With the pop up, we could make it 5 days plus with both CPAP machines running, water pump, lighting, water heater, etc, but minimal use of the furnace. With all the extra stuff running off the battery, I agree Im going to need a second, but Ill fool around with that next spring. Id like to do a shake down run with the new unit yet this fall, but it would likely be late enough Id have power.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin_eddie View Post
Stove? Nothing I guess. Oven? Electronic ignition, timers, safeties, just off the top of my head. I guess Im sorry for using the wrong technical word, but I meant oven....
Some newer stoves come with a knob striker burner lighter. Some higher end ovens have the same thing.
Neither need any electric power.
I would guess that that 2014 would have the burner lighters but you'll probably have to hand light the oven.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, roo

« Which amp service? | - »