Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #21

Dan, my TV setup is nearly identical to yours and my wife and I have had as many as three older teens with us.

Bikes for me have always gone into the bed. I take off the front wheels and use bicycle skewers to stabilize the bike. You can also use a truck rack and hang them upside Down if you wish. I use a TracRac and have had kayaks on top and suspended bikes below. (Thule evidently now owns TracRac, they cost nearly 2x what I paid for them.)

Getting a receiver welded onto the front of your truck may be a good idea too, I've seen bikes carried that way.

I'd keep them off the trailer though for the good reasons already posted. Chucks point about metal fatigue is valid.

We go to Hatteras Island every year and stay at Camp Hatteras. June is a great time to go. Where do you plan to stay?
2 in a Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in a Roo View Post
Dan, my TV setup is nearly identical to yours and my wife and I have had as many as three older teens with us.

Bikes for me have always gone into the bed. I take off the front wheels and use bicycle skewers to stabilize the bike. You can also use a truck rack and hang them upside Down if you wish. I use a TracRac and have had kayaks on top and suspended bikes below. (Thule evidently now owns TracRac, they cost nearly 2x what I paid for them.)

Getting a receiver welded onto the front of your truck may be a good idea too, I've seen bikes carried that way.

I'd keep them off the trailer though for the good reasons already posted. Chucks point about metal fatigue is valid.

We go to Hatteras Island every year and stay at Camp Hatteras. June is a great time to go. Where do you plan to stay?
Never thought about hanging them underneath the rack like that. [emoji848] I'd like to mount them on top of the bed, keeping the bed open for other stuff. But, I'm having trouble finding a system that will do what I want. I've got a soft, roll-up tonneau cover that I'd still like to use to keep the bed contents dry if we run into rain. The cover mounts to the inside of the bed rails. So, the top of the bed is still open for a rack of some kind to mount. I know all about metal fatigue. I've got a little background in Engineering. Just not wanting to design something that's already been done if I can get away with it. I think I'm down to two concepts. Either on top of the bed somehow (convenient but, more expensive) or inside the camper on the dinette (secure from theft and cheaper). But, I think I'll wait to have the camper in hand before deciding on a final once I can check clearances.

We're staying at the Cape Hatteras KOA. I believe that is right next to Camp Hatteras. [emoji846]
Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrlewis73 View Post

We're staying at the Cape Hatteras KOA. I believe that is right next to Camp Hatteras. [emoji846]

It is, our family went through a CAT 1 hurricane there in 1973. We were in a tent camper at the time.

You'll have a great time. If you've never been there I can send you some recommendations on things to see, places to eat. Good luck on your search.
2 in a Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:28 AM   #24

this is what I use
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	195972  
G37x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37x View Post
this is what I use
Do you have to disassemble the whole thing to be able to lower the front bunk? Not just remove the bike rack, but the whole thing? It looks too tall in this picture.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:48 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Do you have to disassemble the whole thing to be able to lower the front bunk? Not just remove the bike rack, but the whole thing? It looks too tall in this picture.
Here is a link to that rack system:

https://www.strombergcarlson.com/pro...-model-cc-275/
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #27

Quote:

Yes but it only takes 5-10 minutes
G37x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37x View Post
Yes but it only takes 5-10 minutes
Just use a fold-down rack with the Bike Bunk.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote