Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #1

Question Looking for help once we join the family again...

Forgive the wordy post... Longtime reader, first time poster...

We once had a Rockwood Rhino and loved it. Received it from my mo after Dad passed away. It was just too much for her to haul around. And, she was happy enough to come camping with us a couple times a year with our kids. We were very happy with the quality and began to look for a Hybrid to replace it. Loved the Roos/Shamrocks. But, unfortunately, we fell in love with a dealership that didn't sell them. So, we got a Brand "J" 19' two-bunk without a slide. Can't say I am too happy with the quality. It works well enough. Just miss the feel that the FR gave us. So, now we're looking to get a new 233S here in the next few months.

Anyway, here's where the help comes in. I'm looking for ideas on mods. I've been scouring the forum looking for ideas. What are your best mods? What are the essentials? Really need ideas on traveling with 4 bikes.

Towing with a '16 Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab, 5.3L Auto with 3.42 gears and a tow package (9100# capacity) using a WDH. Got a trip to the Outer Banks scheduled for June.

Can't wait to be a member of the family again!
Old 01-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrlewis73 View Post

We once had a Rockwood Rhino and loved it. Received it from my mo after Dad passed away. It was just too much for her to haul around. And, she was happy enough to come camping with us a couple times a year with our kids. We were very happy with the quality and began to look for a Hybrid to replace it. Loved the Roos/Shamrocks. But, unfortunately, we fell in love with a dealership that didn't sell them. So, we got a Brand "J" 19' two-bunk without a slide. Can't say I am too happy with the quality. It works well enough. Just miss the feel that the FR gave us. So, now we're looking to get a new 233S here in the next few months.

Anyway, here's where the help comes in. I'm looking for ideas on mods. I've been scouring the forum looking for ideas. What are your best mods? What are the essentials? Really need ideas on traveling with 4 bikes.

Towing with a '16 Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab, 5.3L Auto with 3.42 gears and a tow package (9100# capacity) using a WDH. Got a trip to the Outer Banks scheduled for June.

Welcome!!! I have the same truck, except the double cab. Without kids wejust don’t need the crew and can use the longer box more. It’s a great vehicle, and will pull the Roo nicely.

As far as mods, what are you looking to do besides carrying bikes? We bought a 24ws last spring, love it and honestly haven’t done much other than filling it with our camping needs.

A number of people carry their bikes inside the camper or in the truck bed. Both options work fine but I wanted to carry other stuff in the truck bed and don’t want dirty bikes inside mucking things up. What we had done to haul our bikes, at the recommendation of our dealer, was have a hitch welded to the frame that is strong enough to carry my Thule XT bike rack which is expandable to 4 bikes. It does invalidate the warranty on the frame, provided Rockwood or Lippert can prove the bike rack caused the issue, but for me I wasn’t worried about as the dealer said they’ve yet to have an issue and this was the most permanent solution.

Otherwise you’ll need to bolt/weld bumper supports on the bumper because it’s not strong enough to support a hitch as it comes from the factory.

Enjoy!!!
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:

Hello, "first time poster". Here's your first post from 2015. You now have 11 posts. Welcome back.
Quote:
I have a 2006 Rockwood Rhino HW256G that I just returned from our first trip with. My issue is that the fridge only operates on AC or propane. The DC circuit seems to not operate as it's supposed to. The battery is charged. The tow vehicle connection is good. I've checked all of the fuses and they're all OK, too. I plan on contacting Dometic when I get a chance. Any ideas?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Hello, "first time poster". Here's your first post from 2015. You now have 11 posts. Welcome back.
Lol. I thought I had posted before. But, I looked around and couldn't find anything. So, I just figured I was on a different site. I think I suffer from "Halfheimers". I always forget about half of everything I do. Lol 🤣 Thanks for the re-welcome!
Old 01-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Welcome!!! I have the same truck, except the double cab. Without kids wejust don’t need the crew and can use the longer box more. It’s a great vehicle, and will pull the Roo nicely.

As far as mods, what are you looking to do besides carrying bikes? We bought a 24ws last spring, love it and honestly haven’t done much other than filling it with our camping needs.

A number of people carry their bikes inside the camper or in the truck bed. Both options work fine but I wanted to carry other stuff in the truck bed and don’t want dirty bikes inside mucking things up. What we had done to haul our bikes, at the recommendation of our dealer, was have a hitch welded to the frame that is strong enough to carry my Thule XT bike rack which is expandable to 4 bikes. It does invalidate the warranty on the frame, provided Rockwood or Lippert can prove the bike rack caused the issue, but for me I wasn’t worried about as the dealer said they’ve yet to have an issue and this was the most permanent solution.

Otherwise you’ll need to bolt/weld bumper supports on the bumper because it’s not strong enough to support a hitch as it comes from the factory.

Enjoy!!!
Thanks for the info. I've thought about a rear receiver on the camper. Also thought about a receiver on the front of the truck. Just tossing around everything to see which one I like best. I guess I'm just trying to see what everyone else is doing. I've also seen a couple of mods where the bikes are mounted on top of the dinette. I like the security aspect of those. I guess once we take possession of the new one, that's when I'll have to make a few decisions.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:35 AM   #6

Howdy and Welcome back...

I suggest you try the search function, then Advanced search tool, then try keywords like bike rack mods and finally search the Hybrid forum near the bottom...

Bike rack mods are one of the more frequently discussed topics on this forum. There are many creative ways to accomplish.

I personally would not want four bikes hanging off the rear end... maybe one or two, but four is allot with all the bounding that goes on at the rear of the trailer.

there are racks that mount to the A-frame and hold your bikes above the propane... there are interior mounting options also...

Do your homework now and you will have a leg up when you take delivery.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #7

We're just my wife and I......so this is the rack I bought and bolted in the truck bed. Works perfect for us !

Name:   ProStor+2+Bike+Stand+Freestanding+Bike+Rack.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  14.3 KB

I did quite a few mods on my 23ws that might be of interest:

Installed an Oxygenic shower head:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...bd361753bf.jpg

Installed a TV bracket in the rear private room:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...823ecbd5bf.jpg

Brought the Antenna/Cable to the front cabinet by the door:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...b56e634137.jpg

Where to put the garbage can inside the 23ws............ Built one on a slider shelf in the front cabinet by the door.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...cdf0818878.jpg

http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...0f1ec496cd.jpg

Where to install the toiler paper roll.......
http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...5a8fb240aa.jpg

Installed a mirror in the rear private room on the wall in front of the wardrobe
http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...20cfbafe8d.jpg

I also installed a backsplash in the kitchen :area:Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0525.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	195001
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #8

For the front of the truck Etrailer had a bolt on class two receiver for my 2016 F150. Not the easiest bolt on but NO DRILLING
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #9

I've had a beefed up receiver welded to my Roo 19 and my Mini Lite 2503S. See post #2 for the Roo and post #12 for the Mini Lite.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oo-107358.html

Other ideas also in this thread.

A number of people have used Mount and Lock Safety Struts and are happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-n-Lock-.../dp/B071WK9CD3

Good luck.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #10

Go for welding on a strong receiver hitch. Have a certified welder do it. So far our experiences with Forest River warranties has been a loser. We feel the warranties they place on these coaches are pretty much worthless, there is always an excuse why they will not cover it. I'll get off my soap box. We welded a very strong receiver on our 5th wheel and it works great. We had a friend who is a certified welder held me with it. It looks like it came from the factory that way. I have done numerous mods on our rig and would be happy to share them with you. PM me.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe1840 View Post
We welded a very strong receiver on our 5th wheel and it works great. We had a friend who is a certified welder held me with it. It looks like it came from the factory that way. I have done numerous mods on our rig and would be happy to share them with you. PM me.
The OP has an ultralight Hybrid travel trailer, not a large 5th Wheel.
The frame and bumper are not as robust as your 5th wheel's frame.
Also some of your mods may not be possible in a hybrid TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The OP has an ultralight Hybrid travel trailer, not a large 5th Wheel.
The frame and bumper are not as robust as your 5th wheel's frame.
Also some of your mods may not be possible in a hybrid TT.
I'm sorry bikendan but you beyond anyone should no better then to pass judgement on this site. You have know idea what mods I have done on my 5th wheel or for that fact any other travel trailer I have owned that could possibly assist the OP. The OP has every right to ask a certified welder what he might think he could help him with. Have a great day.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #13

I purchased our 2019 233S last spring and love it. For carrying bikes we put our kids 3 bikes on the kitchen table on their sides and stack them. We put things around it so they wont move and put a heavy piece of cardboard below so it wont scratch anything. For our 2 bikes we put it in the back hall between the bathroom and the beds. I would NEVER carry anything on the back bumper even if it was beefed up. It is a PITA to have them inside but we felt that is the safest way to travel with them. Last summer I did see the same camper with 5 bikes dragging on the ground because he broke the bumper.

As for mods we have not done much because Rockwood comes pretty well equiped. I would opt for the 15k BTU AC. I am also going to try adding in some jacks near the axles to cut down on some of the bounce. With the slide and the 3 bunks there is some bounce there even though we use X-chalks and block up the stabilizers so they are not extended too much.

Great camper!!!
2019 Rockwood ROO 233S, 1998 Dutchman 747SL, 1988 Jayco 1006, 2001 Skyline Nomad 3710BH,1997 Coachman Catalina lite 249 QB, 2001 Palomino Mustang SC
Wisconsin-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe1840 View Post
I'm sorry bikendan but you beyond anyone should no better then to pass judgement on this site. You have know idea what mods I have done on my 5th wheel or for that fact any other travel trailer I have owned that could possibly assist the OP. The OP has every right to ask a certified welder what he might think he could help him with. Have a great day.
Ouch !!!!!

Actually, Dan said SOME of the mods may not be possible.
As for welding something on the bumper or frame......I wouldn't recommend putting a bicycle hitch on the back bumper of an hybrid and one of the reason is the extra weight.
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
As for welding something on the bumper or frame......I wouldn't recommend putting a bicycle hitch on the back bumper of an hybrid and one of the reason is the extra weight.
Thats why a lot of us have a receiver hitch welded to the frame, the bumper isn’t strong enough, especially for four bikes, even if it’s reinforced.

A properly welded hitch, however, will be just fine. Think if it this way: rack is 50 lbs, even if each bike is 50 lbs you’re looking at 250lbs total. No problem handling that.
Past:
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Old 01-21-2019, 06:27 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
Ouch !!!!!

Actually, Dan said SOME of the mods may not be possible.
Correct. I thought that statement was self explanatory. Especially since this thread is in the Hybrids/Expandables section.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Thats why a lot of us have a receiver hitch welded to the frame, the bumper isn’t strong enough, especially for four bikes, even if it’s reinforced.

A properly welded hitch, however, will be just fine. Think if it this way: rack is 50 lbs, even if each bike is 50 lbs you’re looking at 250lbs total. No problem handling that.
It isn't the weight but more the bounce and movement the bikes do that cause the issues.
2019 Rockwood ROO 233S, 1998 Dutchman 747SL, 1988 Jayco 1006, 2001 Skyline Nomad 3710BH,1997 Coachman Catalina lite 249 QB, 2001 Palomino Mustang SC
Wisconsin-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #18

Quote:
But, unfortunately, we fell in love with a dealership that didn't sell them.
I've seen evidence that car and RV dealers make money in their service departments! Go figure that one out!

Joking aside my "favorite" dealer in Cleveland sold Jayco hybrids. I bought my Roo on the other side of the state in Lakeview at RV Wholesalers and haven't been back since purchase. The local Jayco dealer was more than happy to service my Roo every spring. And they don't hide it around the back while it's in their yard. They did the refrigerator recall at no cost to me several years ago.

I get independent contractors for my home repairs too, not the builder. I've not seen the Ford dealer where I bought my Expedition either.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin-1 View Post
It isn't the weight but more the bounce and movement the bikes do that cause the issues.
Again, a properly beefy, welded to the frame hitch, shouldn’t have a problem with the load bouncing. I have a camera on our Roo I leave on all the time when we travel, the bikes barely move back there.

Now if you attach something to the flimsy bumper...........
Past:
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Old 01-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #20

Metal fatigue by bending some back and forth many times is real and road vibration will to this to many bumper mounted items including the spare tire. My spare tire mount was cracked in two places due to this vibration. No problems with my spare mount where it was bolted to the square box frame. All the damage was where the tire was clamped to the mount. Lots of wobble. Keep lengths short.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote