Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #1
Use the Force Roo

Looking for some Brake Controller Insight...

Hello all...

Just got back from our maiden outing with our new to us (used) 2013 233s. Still under the 30 day warranty with Albany RV and have to get some minor things looked at. One problem I need some help with from the forum is the the brake controller... When I brought the tailer home from the store, it worked. I have a Draw Tite that is more than 12 years old. After hooking up the trailer and doing my pre-departure checks, the brake controller seemed to be working... but then showed 0.0 and would not activate the brakes. I used the button and the numbers dimmed, and went to the selected activation, but the brakes did not work.

Is this as simple as buying a new brake controller, or should I be worried about something else? When the trailer is not hooked up, the period show up and when you slide the manual switch, it activates the brake lights. Any and all insight would be helpful...
BGlickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Not sure on which model you have, but if it's 12yrs old, there are newer models out there that do a much better job. Double check your wiring. If you you can, get someone that has a known working controller to eliminate wiring in the camper. This should isolate the problem to truck or camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:15 AM   #3

Actuate the controller and see if you've got 12VDC at the hitch connector pin. (It's the pin at the 5 o'clock position looking into the tow vehicle plug.) If so, it's not your controller but something on the trailer. The numbers dimming sounds like there's a short somewhere.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:44 AM   #4

I'd recommend the $100 bucks to get a newer version as they have improved greatly in technology. I use a prodigy and it works great

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
DD (3 year)
DS (6 months)
ficksters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #5

i would check the output for sure, from the controller.

but i will say, i have a basic drawtite in my my truck, and we are planning on taking my wifes suv on vacation, pulling our tt. i picked her up a prodigy3 based on reviews in this forum. i will say, it is the cadillac of brake controllers. you don't even know the tt is behind you when braking. i'm so impressed with it, i'm using the other harness to put in my truck, and ditching the drawtite.
under_boost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller, brakes