Old 10-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeenut View Post
Kevin,
Thanks, that helps a lot.
Hey, I'm interested that you are pulling the 23IKSS around with a 1/2 ton truck. How is that? I thought we were probably close to edge with the Roo 19 and our Sierra 1500 4wd.
Jeff
Well, we started out looking for something a little lighter, but couldn't pass up the 23IKSS floorplan. My truck has a 5.4L V-8, which is plenty of power. Going from a popup, the big difference in towing was the tall, square front. Bought it in Feb and brought it home from the dealer in April. Turns out it was 38 degrees, flurries, and 30 mph wind gusts. After that inititiation, I have really gotten to like the way it tows. We have a basic WDH with friction sway control. There is better stuff out there, but this setup works well for us.

Loaded, the trailer is about 6300 lbs, which is under the tow rating by 1000 lbs, but in going to the scales, I found I was only about 50# under the gvwr for the truck - the tongue weight uses up alot of the available payload. So I keep the gear in the bed to a minimum. It tows great. We went 2700 miles to MN and back in August - no issues.

I worry a little about the strain on the transmission and the rest of the drive train but we aren't exceeding the factory ratings. The engine works a little more when towing, but no big deal.

I like that folded up its only 23 feet. It is less affected by cross-winds than a bigger unit, and we can get into a lot of places a bigger trailer can't. With 2 bunk ends and 2 slideouts make it much bigger open, but still pretty compact on the road.

It is a learning curve, but the dealer gave us a good overview, and I have found a lot of good tips and info here.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

any decent 1/2 ton truck, with a v-8, can handle any hybrid on the market.
i've been towing my 23SS, one of the heaviest/biggest hybrids made, with my 1/2 ton Avalanche and it's a perfect combo in my opinion.
especially for all the mountain ranges we have to get over out here.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #13

We have a 2014 Roo 19 that we picked up in May and we love it. I think the primary difference between ours and a 2012 is the attached bunk end and LED lighting. LED lighting is nice for boondoggling but the bulbs can be added to a 2012. The price for a 2104 is in line with what we paid for ours. Does the 2012 have electric awnings which come on the 2014?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #14

Quote:
2013's got a major re-design on the canvas to where it is permanently attached.
skeenut: My 2012 Roo 19 has attached bunk ends. Therefore, I think the only difference you'd have going to a 2014 would be the LED's.

Quote:
any decent 1/2 ton truck, with a v-8, can handle any hybrid on the market.
I don't buy this statement. My 2009 Silverado manual lists 99 (NINTEY NINE!!) different towing capacities ranging from 4,400 lbs to 13,000 lbs, depending on cab, engine, rear end gearing, transmission, cooling packages, towing packages, etc. Check out your setup carefully. There's almost a 9,900 lb spread between 4,400 and 13,000 lbs!!! You're probably OK, as the Roo19's GVWR is around 4700 lbs, and chances are probably good that your Silverado's tow ratinng is better, but YOU DON'T KNOW UNTIL YOU CHECK.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
the-the-the- The GRINCH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I don't buy this statement. My 2009 Silverado manual lists 99 (NINTEY NINE!!) different towing capacities ranging from 4,400 lbs to 13,000 lbs, depending on cab, engine, rear end gearing, transmission, cooling packages, towing packages, etc. Check out your setup carefully. There's almost a 9,900 lb spread between 4,400 and 13,000 lbs!!! You're probably OK, as the Roo19's GVWR is around 4700 lbs, and chances are probably good that your Silverado's tow ratinng is better, but YOU DON'T KNOW UNTIL YOU CHECK.
I towed a 2008 Roo 23SS with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.7L H.O. engine, for 5 years. I live in Western MD with our portion of the Appalachian Mtns and never had an issue. We took a couple trips to Myrtle Beach, also with no issues.
So, unless your Silverado is very sickly, I would think you would have no trouble with a a Roo 19.
As far as any issues, bunkends or otherwise, we had none. The ONLY reasons we stepped up was strictly for the convenience of power (awning, stabilizers & tongue jack) and not having to deal with closing the ends. Other than that, it would still be sitting in my driveway and not in someone else's.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #16

skeenut - if you keep reading on this forum, you'll find many people overloading their tow vehicles and saying "it's fine." Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. DaGrinch didn't say what his Jeeps tow rating really was, or what his trailer's GVWR was, so no one can really determine if he's an "overloader" or not. And tow rating is also related to braking power, not just engine power. I caution you again, check your owners manual.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
the-the-the- The GRINCH!

Quote:
skeenut - if you keep reading on this forum, you'll find many people overloading their tow vehicles and saying "it's fine." Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. DaGrinch didn't say what his Jeeps tow rating really was, or what his trailer's GVWR was, so no one can really determine if he's an "overloader" or not. And tow rating is also related to braking power, not just engine power. I caution you again, check your owners manual.
Jeep was rated for 6500#, Roo was somewhere in the 4800# area dry. Loaded, I'd say it was around 5200#. So, I figure I was well within my TV capacity. I used an Equal-I-zer WDH (10,000# bars) and had a brake controller, although I can't remember what brand it was. Brakes (4 wheel disc) on the Jeep were checked every year and serviced when needed. Trailer brakes were checked, along with bearings and such, almost every year - depending on where we went and how much we traveled. I no longer own the Jeep; youngest son bought it - '04 with 80K miles on it - transmission serviced every-other year.
I wouldn't have wanted a smaller engine in the Jeep, nor would I have wanted a heavier trailer than the Roo 23SS. For my comfort zone, I was at the edge.
I did things a bit differently this time around with the Flagstaff. I talked to more people and looked a bit more at capacities in a TV. I had to stay with an SUV - it fits our life style where a pick-up doesn't. So far, after our shakedown cruise last weekend, I am MUCH more comfortable and confident with my current choices. The Armada has more than enough power and pulls with ease. Being on a Titan platform makes a big difference. I brought my Equal-I-zer WDH over and now use a Prodigy P2 brake controller.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #18

Thanks to all for the thoughtful and detailed input. It makes the decision making...richer.
Although it takes some effort and time I've been amassing the info required to use the Travel Trailer Weight Calculator and so far I've come up with a loaded TT weight of 6000#. Still have to mess with it a bit, make sure I'm accounting for the world of crap I hope to take with me: 1. 200# kayak/sailboat on the roof of the truck with the, 2. analagous gear in duffels in the bed under a, 3. Fiberglass cap. Also in the truck, 4.
Two bikes, and their gear in a duffel in the bed of the truck, 5. Generator and gas, and 6. Small propane grill. Oh, and some, 7. Camp chairs and folding table, 8. Proper ground cover for under the awning and, 9. Add-a-room sides for the awning and a separate aero-wing two pole tarp for additional weather cover. Don't forget some 10. PUG's. And my mini-poodle, 11. Ace, and his road bed. My 12. Backseat geek bag holding various weather related radios, hand held GPS's and windspeed/direction gear and binoculars, (three pair) with a tripod and monopod. Of course, 13. Our 'puter bag, with laptops, chargers and verizon hot-spot for where there's no wi-fi. And maybe... a small refracting telescope with three or so EP's and a tripod and head.
'Nother question. The potential PO of hopefully MY soon to be Roo19 pulled it with a Jeep something or other, probably a Cherokee, and is including his "towing stabilization package." Is that package something that can be moved from TV to TV, like from his Jeep to my GMC 1500? Both our vehicles have 2" receivers and 7 pin set-ups. Or, I'm thinking, are there other considerations...? Like tongue height vs. receiver height differences between the two TV's that would require a new hitch.
And I'm suddenly on the fence now between a ROO19 and a 23SS; wife isn't, she's firmly in the ROO19....
For me it'll all come down to capacity of my TV. And I haven't even fully considered specifically yet how I can jam the TT full(er).
Yours in obsessive consideration and planning,
Jeff
Old 10-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
Canadian Member

Skeenut, regarding your truck, your situation is very typical. As is the case with most 1/2 tons with a towing package, the payload rating is the weakest link.

With everything you listed that you intend to put on the truck's roof and in it's bed, plus the cap, you'll need to consider what you have left for your trailer's tongue weight. I recommend that you use the Roo's GVWR, and assume a 12% tongue weight for your calculations. Don't believe the numbers quoted in the brochures.

We are all different in how close to the TV's GVWR we're going to be comfortable with, so you'll have to decide that on your own. Personally, I had a 2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD that I used to pull my 2010 23SS. With 2 of us in the truck, I was within 20# of the Tacoma's GVWR and I wasn't comfortable with that. With the whole family in the truck, I was way overloaded. So I upgraded my truck. You may or may not be comfortable being that close to your GMC's GVWR.

Regarding the 2 Roo models you mentioned, there's a huge difference in the room inside the 19 and the 23SS. The 23SS has much more storage and good counter space - more than some much larger TTs. That's what sold us on the 23SS.
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
rockfordroo, i did say "decent" 1/2 ton truck. nearly all 1/2 ton trucks with v-8 engines will have the payload/towing capacity for any hybrid made.
that's why i said "decent".

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo