Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

Low Pressure Propane Stove

I'm looking for a propane stove to hang on the side of the trailer (instead of the BBQ). Sometimes it will be handier than a BBQ. Dealer said it must be a low pressure unit. Any suggestions ???

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #2

I use this. I bought a quick connect hose so I can plug it into the camper and then I set it on a table. The quick connect hose does not have a regulator and the stove will run off the low pressure connection on the camper side. You could also make a stand to go on the side rail if you did not want to use a table.
Actually you can do this with any camp stove that has the regulator attached to the hose.
grubbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Site Team

the only retail stove i know, that will work right off, are the Camp Chef stoves.

unless you can find some of the low pressure stoves that popups come with.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #4

I plan to modify an old gas connector/regulator for my standard 2-burner Coleman propane camp stove using the approach described below. By having both a modified low-pressure quick connector a standard high-pressure regulator I can also use it normally with a disposable bottle or with a tree on a large propane bottle.

I may or may not add fittings to slide the Coleman stove onto the RVQ stand but, personally, find that a bit high for my comfort. I'm looking for an acceptable table to use for that purpose, today. I don't want a full-blown camp kitchen.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I plan to modify an old gas connector/regulator for my standard 2-burner Coleman propane camp stove using the approach described below. By having both a modified low-pressure quick connector a standard high-pressure regulator I can also use it normally with a disposable bottle or with a tree on a large propane bottle.

I may or may not add fittings to slide the Coleman stove onto the RVQ stand but, personally, find that a bit high for my comfort. I'm looking for an acceptable table to use for that purpose, today. I don't want a full-blown camp kitchen.

Good video! Informative.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWhiskey View Post
Good video! Informative.
The OP of the video describes the Coleman fittings as "proprietary". I can't refute that but think they're not. Instead, they may be "fine-threaded", reference to which I've seen in my search for quick-connect fittings. If so, you won't find those at a big-box home store or your corner hardware store but you might find them at a commercial plumbing supply shop.

I'm fortunate in that the old regulator for my Coleman stove is threaded at the regulator end, not welded as some appear to be. The aluminum pipe is fine-threaded into a brass fitting that has a standard 1/8" male brass thread (or however that's properly described.)

Home Depot had a 1/8"-to-1/4" female-to-female adapter that fit. The 1/8" end fits the regulator brass fitting; the 1/4" end will fit a Camco quick-connect fitting ordered online.

I bought a new Coleman high-pressure regulator to replace the one I hacked, while I was at it. Now I'll have both.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #7

I did the mod to my Coleman grill and love it. Got most fittings from a small hardware store. Had to get the quick connect online because the one they had was the wrong type.
grege is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #8

I rigged up gas connections/adapters for my outdoor stove from my last Coleman popup and for a Coleman green camp stove. Both would not create a large flame when turned on high due to stove design (Even with out a regulator connected). Thanks for the link to the Camp Chef stove. That will be my next addition.
Are we having fun yet??
tipakajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grege View Post
I did the mod to my Coleman grill and love it. Got most fittings from a small hardware store. Had to get the quick connect online because the one they had was the wrong type.
Grege, I did the same. However I had to file down the end of the quick connect nipple to get it to fit with the hose from the camper. Following that, I discovered that the connection isn't sealing, as evidenced from a soapy water test.

Where did you order the fitting from and do you have a part #?

-t
the8re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Site Team

The RVQII

RVQ II Grill Portable RV Grill $229 with FREE SHIPPING except HI, AK & Canada

Camco Olympian

Amazon.com: Camco 57305 Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel Portable Grill: Automotive

and Sidekick

Amazon.com: Outdoors Unlimited RVAD400 Black Finish Sidekick Grill: Automotive

are all grills made to utilize the RV's low pressure gas line that are downstream of the propane tanks regulator

My RV came with the sidekick grill. I had to buy the regulator/adapter that let's you also use it with high pressure 1lb propane bottles. I needed this, cause my sidekick does double duty and I use it on the pontoon boat as well. It appears from the Amazon link provided above, that their sidekick already comes with with this adapter (which you may or not ever need)

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post628875

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The RVQII

RVQ II Grill Portable RV Grill $229 with FREE SHIPPING except HI, AK & Canada

Camco Olympian

Amazon.com: Camco 57305 Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel Portable Grill: Automotive

and Sidekick

Amazon.com: Outdoors Unlimited RVAD400 Black Finish Sidekick Grill: Automotive

are all grills made to utilize the RV's low pressure gas line that are downstream of the propane tanks regulator

My RV came with the sidekick grill. I had to buy the regulator/adapter that let's you also use it with high pressure 1lb propane bottles. I needed this, cause my sidekick does double duty and I use it on the pontoon boat as well. It appears from the Amazon link provided above, that their sidekick already comes with with this adapter (which you may or not ever need)

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post628875

Good to know for BBQs. Have you come across any stoves?

Old 07-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWhiskey View Post
Good to know for BBQs. Have you come across any stoves?

Aaah, understand now. The eyes read it, but the brain didn't compute.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #13

Wmtire - no seriously the info was great. I will upgrade my BBQ with the first one you showed in your list. Didn't realize my options there. My challenge is sometimes the stove gets more use than the grill.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8re View Post
Grege, I did the same. However I had to file down the end of the quick connect nipple to get it to fit with the hose from the camper. Following that, I discovered that the connection isn't sealing, as evidenced from a soapy water test.

Where did you order the fitting from and do you have a part #?

-t
I got it from www.rvparts.com. Part number is QDGMRVN44M and mfg is Fairview Fittings.
grege is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #15

I just got my parts from Amazon. Unfortunately, the replacement Coleman regulator is slightly different from my old one. I can't use the new one with a disposable bottle on my stove. Searching Coleman.com for the correct replacement part shows a price of $40, if it's even available. Other sites show it back-ordered.

The alternative, now that I have the new regulator (and ripped it off the card to reveal my error), is to buy a new stove for $10 more than a new regulator for my old stove. Living in Florida during hurricane season, I need a backup kitchen to use at my house, so I guess I'll be doing that sooner or later.

I'll use the old one as my low-pressure stove on the trailer, until I get the new one. Then I'll convert my extra (new) regulator to work with the low-pressure quick connect and sell or donate the old stove. I don't need two.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #16

There's hope. Camco makes a 6' hose with a regulator on one end and a female quick connect on the other. It's half the price of a replacement regulator from Coleman and fits the propane distribution post I already have.

Having converted my 2-burner stove to quick connect for use with the trailer, now I can look like I planned it this way all along. ;^)

Of course, now I have a spare regulator that doesn't fit anything I own ...

Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #17

When I purchased our 2012 ROO 23SS, I substituted the grill for a stove. A Suburban 2 burner low pressure stove was provided.

You may wish to have your dealer source and price it.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #18

Quote:
I plan to modify an old gas connector/regulator for my standard 2-burner Coleman propane camp stove using the approach described below.
Okay, that didn't work. When connected to the standard disposable bottle with a regulator the flame is large and hot. When connected to the low pressure hose on the camper with no apparent regulator inline, the pressure is extremely low, as is the flame.

The stove end of the connector has what appears to be a Schrader valve. That makes sense as a safety device to prevent a bottle from being vented to atmosphere without being connected to the stove.

Perhaps there's a regulator inside? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #19

I gas up my Coleman like this.

I have a 3 and 5 foot hose for the grill and a camp stove.
Both feed off the gas tree.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #20

Quote:

Thanks for the info I've got a Coleman stove I wanted to hookup, I also want to make a tee so I can run 2 units , stove and a Grill.

Tags
pressure, propane