Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

Lowering & raising bunk ends

I would love to camp with my friend. But, she is "height challenged" and I am afraid she would have problems lowering and raising the beds. Does anyone have any suggestions to help a short person? Or, does anyone know if only one person can do the job alone? I been afraid to try, but guess I should.

I guess we could invite my DH, but that's not in the cards for now. I still need to learn how to hook up and unhitch before going without him. I do all the driving so that part is taken care of.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm 6' and I have no problems doing by myself.
A small step stool or step ladder will help your friend if you need her help.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #3

I am afraid she could fall off the stool if she wiggled a little. Guess we should try it. I'm 5'8" but worry more about the weight of those beds. My DH and I usually do it together! The beds that is!
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Old 07-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #4

It only takes one person to let them down if you are strong enough. Not that you need to be that strong but if you haven't done it you may want to try it first. Because they are rigid you can be on one side to lift or lower.

I find it a bit more challenging when putting them up and trying to make sure the "canvas" is all tucked in. I find I need to move from one side to the other a couple of times and sometimes the "tuck in" is a bit higher than I can reach.

For this I have a great half-height step stool (2 steps) that I keep in the front storage area - the one that goes all the way through. The stool (short ladder) is light weight and a good size not to mention that when turned at an angle the bottom of the legs will fit through the door of that compartment. (Pic below)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	84218  
drhroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #5

When we put the beds in, I'm outside and dw is inside. I'm 5'7" so I understand vertically challenged. As I push the beds up, she makes sure the tenting is where it should be. We haven't tried the system where you close the windows and turn on the overhead fans since this works for us but it could be a possibility for you.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #6

You must try using the exhaust fans, they work wonderfully. We couldn't believe how easy the job is now. In fact the suction is so great that one day I was showing my friend how we lowered the bed and my DH and I couldn't figure out why they weren't coming down. Turns out the fans were on because it was so hot and they were causing the problem.

By using the fans we only have to flip the side pieces towards the center and that is it.

I'll have my friend practice using a step ladder or something similar and see how comfortable she is. I'll also practice trying it by myself.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Old 07-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #7
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleydoo View Post
You must try using the exhaust fans, they work wonderfully. We couldn't believe how easy the job is now. In fact the suction is so great that one day I was showing my friend how we lowered the bed and my DH and I couldn't figure out why they weren't coming down. Turns out the fans were on because it was so hot and they were causing the problem.

By using the fans we only have to flip the side pieces towards the center and that is it.

I'll have my friend practice using a step ladder or something similar and see how comfortable she is. I'll also practice trying it by myself.

Thanks for the suggestions.
This method really works well. Close all the windows and doors and make sure the vent fans are on. I have two so they both are on. When you go to close the beds, the canvas practically sucks itself in. Very little or no tucking needed when closing and latching the bunks.
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #8

Ditto on the exhaust fans. They really add boost when closing.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #9

Cane or walking stick with a rubber tip might help?
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #10

I have closed up ours by myself with the use of the exhaust fans. Give it a try and see if you can close them yourself. I am 5'6"
Towing with 2007 Ford F150
Camping in Colorado
cropper127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #11

I am able to raise and lower the back bed by myself. The front one presents a challenge because of tanks, battery and towing stuff. I now think my friend can just support it a bit and we should be okay. We may need something to loosen the front bed in order to lower as it was a little sticky today, could be the heat.

Now I need to learn how to hitch it up. I'm okay driving. We may just go camping and not unhitch and enjoy the campground.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Old 07-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #12

hitching with a partner giving signals as they watch the ball approach the coupler works great...

tell them to point in the direction (left or right) that the ball needs to go in order to line up, then when you are backing to the coupler the helper can use both hands to indicate how far you need to go to back up, while continuing to point direction if something changes while backing... just keep backing slowly...

Your hubby will have to show you how to do the WDH hitch hookup as they are all different. Starting level helps, even if you have to use the electric lift to bring the rear of the TV higher AFTER you are hitched to the ball.

I used a permanent label maker to list things to do so I don't forget and fastened it to the hitch area... 1. chains hooked 2. trailer electric plug 3. hitch closed and pin in 4. lift mechanism up all the way 5. walk around trailer (safety check)

I use my backup camera mounted on my license plate to help if I am hitching alone for left/right alignment, but much easier with a helper... only in and out of the driver seat once instead of several times alone.

Pickup the aluminum 2 step stool with handle across the top from HDepot or others to help with bunk ends. The front bunk is the hardest with my side and rear bunk on my 183 very easy using the fan ON method.

good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #13

The fan method really works great. Just remember to release the pole holding up the tent ends before closing the door. I had our trailer fans going, closed the door while my DH was outside to close up the beds and the suction was so great I couldn't release the pole until I opened to door.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #14

I use a 6' tent pole to hold the bunk up at an angle while I tuck the canvas. It makes it easy to do by yourself.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:31 PM   #15
Engineer of Crazy Train

My DGF is Fun Sized (as she puts it) and she can raise and lower the side and rear of our 183. The front is a challenge for her.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #16

I'm 5'3" and I can open and close both bunks by myself, without any problems.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #17

Went to the storage place this afternoon to do some arranging in the trailer. I tried to open the front bed on our new 23IKSS. It was "stuck" to the point that I had to go inside and force the darn thing open. It seems the seals were simply "sticky" or something. The trailer was level. The slides were out. Everything was unlocked and released. I just couldn't pull it open. Is this normal?
drhroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:32 AM   #18

I know you can't count on it but I would sure be happy to help and I can't imagine many campers that wouldn't. Don't be afraid to ask a fellow camper if you find you are struggling. I really enjoy the setup/takedown and if you have fun with it you might find figuring out the hitching and everything becomes a memorable part of the adventure.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:55 AM   #19

RooVader, it's nice to know you would help others and I am sure there are others like you out there.

I now know I can raise and lower the ends alone, with the help of the exhaust fans, but just didn't try it sooner. Learning about using the exhaust fans was sure a big help even for two of us doing the job.

drhoo, sometimes our bunkends seem a little sticky but not where someone has to go in and push. Was the unit sitting for a long time in a warm place? How do they work after using again?
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Old 07-31-2015, 06:56 AM   #20

Haven't had any stickiness issue on the ends. Before closing up our bunk ends, I always wipe the sealing surfaces off, especially after a rain. It's amazing how much stuff accumulates on those bunk edges. I think alot of it is off the trees.
I also use the slide out rubber seal treatment spray on the bunk end seals. I'll use it every month or so during the summer, more often if we're camping a lot.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote