Old 08-25-2015, 10:31 PM   #1

Maiden Voyage With Our New 23IKSS

Thanks again to everyone for being patient with my numerous newbie posts! It has been great.

This past weekend my wife and I did our first real trip with our new 23IKSS. (Previous trips had simply been 1-nighters at a nearby state park to try and figure out how things work.) We went to Estes Park, CO right outside Rocky Mountain National Park. We stayed at a great RV park with full hookups and a site that backed up to a small river (most of you in other states might call it a stream.)

What we loved:
- Heated mattresses (the outside temp went down to 36 at night)
- Warm showers and always available hot water (after I learned from you all that I could use electricity with the water heater
- Great flow through ventilation when the afternoon reached near 80
- Lots of good lighting (far better than most hotel rooms!)
- Open, airy feeling of a hybrid
- The island - my wife really likes the island
- Cable TV. OK, not expecting that very often and wasn't planning on it but it was sort of cool
- Plenty of storage and plenty of room. Maybe too much. We'll need to start folding up the bed end we're not using at night to help with heating.
- Easy of towing. Our Land Rover LR4 handled it with ease. Very cool.
- Discovering, and then rethinking, how we store things. Setting up house. Etc. Together. Since our 36th wedding anniversary was a couple of weeks ago we considered this our "anniversary outing" and it worked out great!
- The people you meet while camping.

What we learned: (some after we stopped at the dealer on the way home)
- When you battery strangely appears to not be working, check the circuit breaker and fused mounted on the inside of the left front of the frame.
- When you are using gas for heating water (first mistake) and you end up with a cold shower and you check the gas levels and they read all ready (empty) in only your first trip of more than a night don't assume you're out of gas. Rather, make sure the selector on your tank regulator is pointing to the tank you have open. (Yep, that was the problem.) Better yet, leave the selector in the middle (both tanks) and let it do its thing.
- When it gets down to 36 degrees at night, an auxiliary heater would be most welcome.
- Oh, when when it is that cold, flannel pillow cases are more comfortable than cotton.
- The shower curtain is too long and covers the drain hole (we'll need to fix that)
- Keep food in airtight containers when bears are around. (Images of a bear slicing through out bed end fabric to get at us kept dancing through my head the first night. After that it was a non-issue. After all, there were plenty of PUPs up at the campground which would be much easier targets.)
- When you leave the trailer to run errands for 3 hours and your DW is still in it, don't lock the front door without telling her lest she walk out of the trailer without her keys and close the door behind her. Oops.
- Shore power is great. Use it for everything you can so that you don't spend money on propane!
- Don't drop the soap in the shower unless you are a yoga master
- Don't put coffee grounds down the sink or toilet. (We didn't)
- Pull the propane cover off before you lower the front bed end or modify it with a little window to check the propane level.
- Check your stabilizers after a few hours of moving around in the trailer. Mine were tight initially but were a bit loose later.
- Use the stove light when you have to get up in the middle of the night so as not to wake others in the trailer - those LED lights are bright!

We look forward to many new adventures and discovering how to use our new trailer and adapting it to our needs - making it a second home!

Pic 1 - Stop off in Lyons, CO on our way to Estes Park
Pic 2 - The view out our "bedroom window"
Pic 3 - If you are ever in the area, you are always welcome. Unless you are a bear!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0938.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	86921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0939.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	86922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	86923  

Old 08-25-2015, 10:47 PM   #2

LOL! Too funny, I enjoyed reading your post but especially enjoyed the 'what we learned' section So nice that you're enjoying the experience Happy camping!

2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:04 PM   #3

Great post, and I'm glad your first trip was a success. The whole process gets easier each time you setup and pack up and you will learn the most efficient order in which to do things. You are right about planning how to use the storage. We've had ours for a year and we are still tweaking where we keep things.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #4

Quote:
We'll need to start folding up the bed end we're not using at night to help with heating.
We had our Roo 19 for 3 years and the only time we ever opened the back bunk was once, when we first got it, to season the tent.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post
LOL! Too funny, I enjoyed reading your post but especially enjoyed the 'what we learned' section So nice that you're enjoying the experience Happy camping!

X2
Old 08-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #6

Very enjoyable post - also loved the "what we learned" section. Care to share the name of the campground? Thx!
Old 08-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
We had our Roo 19 for 3 years and the only time we ever opened the back bunk was once, when we first got it, to season the tent.

X2. Ours was already seasoned by the first owner so all we did was take a peak and then close it back up. It's nice if you ever need it, but, I have to admit this is really a "nice perk" about not having to have both ends open, unlike a pup. We use ours mainly for storing the bed pillows snugged away on top of the bunk mattress. It's the perfect spot!

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is online now   Reply With Quote