Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #1

Making the bathroom larger?

Okay, here is the question I pose to others. After taking out the Camper on it's maiden trip and having to utilize the commode ( and snugly, I might add ) I am contemplating doing a redo on the bathroom.

The shower / tub combo serves no real purpose to us. We could make room for shelving / storage instead.

The sink would stay, and of course, the commode. Was thinking that we could increase our real estate and make it more "enjoyable", for a lack of better wording.

The bathroom has the typical small camper layout. You can sit and take a load off while washing your hands to your left and soak your feet straight in front of you. I guess it IS the perfect relaxing room!

Anyways, my thoughts were to take out the shower, relocate the sink to the shower wall hook-ups and drain, and most likely have to rework the water line to the commode. Would be / could be the PERFECT setup and allow more room to move.

I'm not new to installing water lines. Moved many in my day.

Has anyone taken on this project, or similar bathroom one, and if so how did it fare? Would love your input on this before I even attempt to even take out a single screw. Thanks in advance.
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #2

Here is a picture of the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10356179_698360246938142_4625156959647737513_n.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	77522  
Old 05-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #3

Sounds great. Let us know how it goes. I could use either some counter space, as there is none, or a place you could put your pants on in private!
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #4

The only downside I would see is resale with no tub or shower.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #5

I completely understand where your coming from. I had a trailer you had to step out of the bathroom to turn around and if you bent over the door would fly open. You have some great ideas. But you might want consider something before removing your shower. If you ever decide to go to another trailer the absence of a shower might be a deal killer. Folks seem to want the shower. You might severely cut the number of people who would otherwise be interested in your unit. I try to consider that before I remove anything from a trailer. I'm on my 4th now. Good luck.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
The only downside I would see is resale with no tub or shower.
x2!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #7

I agree on the resale issues. Prospective buyers are very closed minded when you change the floor plan, even if it is better than OEM. Of course, if you intend to keep it forever, the sky is the limit on what you choose to do.
Hope this helps.
Al
Al Fiallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #8

Resale without shower I believe would be a hard sell. The bathroom in our new camper is what sold us. Room to actually use it.Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	77530

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #9

We bought our newest trailer, 2015 28RKX Wildcat Maxx specifically with bathroom fit and access without opening any slideouts as the priority. When we bought the 2009 trailer we 'thought' a little design flaw wouldn't be an issue, WRONG! We had contemplated a similar refit with our 2009 trailer because when traveling we had to open the slide about 2 feet and I couldn't sit on the toilet with the door closed unless you sat kinda sideways.
In researching we decided it was just more of a job than we wanted to tackle plus we were going to have take out that stupid mini-tub that was a waste of space!
As another commenter said, good luck and post pictures of the job!
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #10

I wouldn't do it unless I was going to run it into the ground without any intention to sell it or trade. Same issue as additions in a home that detract from resale. May not work for you but is a deal breaker for a buyer, unless you found someone that thinks just like you do. Good luck and consider trading for one you like before you move on this project.
3.5L EcoBoost (12,200 Towing Capacity)

mcmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #11

Thanks all, for the input and suggestions. My next venture out to the camper I am going to take a look under the shower /tub unit and see what is lurking there. Under the sink is pretty straight forward as to wanting to relocate. I even thought of installing an outside shower opposite of the existing sink wall, using those hookups. I feel we would benefit more from that than an actual indoor shower. I don't foresee us getting rid of the camper, as we love the layout and its options as they are, except the bathroom. Although, I am taking into consideration your "resale" thoughts.

From what I gather from a little bit of looking, the tub / showers sitting ledge area is atop the wheel well, as is the bathroom sink vanity. Having a bit more elbow and leg room would surely be welcoming.

Once it stops raining here I can get out and get a better look at what I would "like to" do. Will go from there, then.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartinez View Post
I wouldn't do it unless I was going to run it into the ground without any intention to sell it or trade. .....Good luck and consider trading for one you like before you move on this project.

Keeping it till it collapses may be the case if I consider the remodel. The reason we bought this older model was because the newer ones sat higher off the ground and I don't like the extra steps having to get in and out. Looked for quite awhile to find this model. Reason being is I have an artificial leg and every step up and down matters. I like the look of the low riding campers opposed to the higher riding ones. All personal preference of course.
Now, if I could find a newer "low riding" camper, that may just change my mind!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #13

Honestly that model bathroom is huge by camper standards. Like another poster said, it was a big part of why we bought it.

I am all for mods and making it your own, you should do what helps you enjoy it. That said, I am one of those that would not buy it if the tub was gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
Honestly that model bathroom is huge by camper standards.

To this I have to agree. I have definitely seen some that were even smaller. Especially those that are combined with a "step-in" combo unit. What were they thinking? I have been in bigger out houses! LOL
Old 05-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #15

I've had hybrids for 12 years and have never used the shower or tub. Big waste of water, always use the public shower. My shower is dirty clothes and shoe storage. That being said, I'd do whatever works for you!
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #16

I certainly think when they design "RVs they work on everything except the commode area. When they get to a point of "what are we going to put in this little place," that's where the commode goes. I feel if I enter into the commode room, I will have to back out in case I change my mind. No room in there to change your mind. Some of the new ones make better use of the "bathroom", but I can't afford to pay that much from what is already paidfor. In my case I could do away with about 8 inches of entertainment center, however, I'm reluctant to mess with something I am not sure of the outcome.

_________________________________________-
2002 SD 250 Ford 7.3
2008 Cherokee 5er 31 ft
Lee G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #17

resale is gone and moving the toilet will be a challenge. The toilet is set to the black water inlet and I don't see any way to divert the drain and make it work properly. maybe Im wrong if so I will admit it but I just don't see how.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #18

can be done!

I had a 96 22' aljo by skyline with side bathroom. I am 6'4 and I had to leave door open to use bathroom. When I was single it was fine, when I started taking my now wife. No way it was going to work. So I removed tub/shower and moved sink where the shower was and cut hole in floor and plumbed drain into grey water. I bought waterproof wall panels at lowes and lined everything including door and just used entire bathroom as shower. No pics, but worked great for us. When I put it on Craig's, it was bought by first person who looked at it, and for price I asked for. And only spent about $100 for the remodel
EHeki81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by syogerst View Post
I've had hybrids for 12 years and have never used the shower or tub. Big waste of water, always use the public shower. My shower is dirty clothes and shoe storage. That being said, I'd do whatever works for you!

Same thoughts here on the water usage too. And even in the newer Campers, with myself being 6'2" I could pretty much stand in the shower and have my head touch the roof vent.

We are pretty much minimalists. Our tub has become an overflow for "other" things too. At least their behind the curtain. LOL
Old 05-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
resale is gone and moving the toilet will be a challenge. The toilet is set to the black water inlet and I don't see any way to divert the drain and make it work properly. maybe Im wrong if so I will admit it but I just don't see how.

Not really worried about the resale as it is paid for, and older. Moving the toilet was not going to be a part of the remodel. It is sitting in a good spot. Just was thinking of removing the tub / shower and moving the sink to another location.

Tags
roo