Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #1

Man's Best Friend-His BBQ

So we recently went out and bought our family a new Roo 183. Our kids and us, are so pumped to get out and do some camping. Our world revolves around kids hockey in the winter and mountain biking in the summer, that we thought an RV would really be usefull in the summer months to get us out to places we haven't seen on our bikes at a resonable price, doing the family thing, because as you know after hockey season is over we have no money left.
One of the joys of buying the RV is the fact that dad gets to buy a new BBQ to go with it. I declined the BBQ that came as an option simply because I'm leary of things with a flame that close to the trailer. (I know it's got to be safe or the bean counters wouldn't have allowed it in the first place)

So I went out and bought a baby Webber. A Q220 to be exact. Not too small, as sometimes it's neccessary to throw a dozen burgers on when friends are present. This BBQ comes with the foldable trays on either side, ignitor button, and I bought a cast iron griddle to go with. Better to keep the bacon and fish smells on the outside of the trailer.

I have the connection on the side of the RV to quick connect a grill, and i wanted to make use of this. However at the same time i did not want to lose the portablility of using a little disposable bottle at parks/picnics etc. So here's what i did. First, i removed the regulator from the Webber Q. In the regulators place i installed a male quick connect fitting. There is a 1/8" fpt x 1/4" fpt coupling between the Male Quick connect and the male 1/8" of the BBQ.
Next, I had two hoses made. Both hoses have 1/4" MPT fittings on both ends. One hose is 15" long and the other is 120" long. On the 120" hose I installed a male quick disonnect fitting and a female disconnect fitting on either end of the hose. This will fasilitate the connect of the BBQ to the quick disconnect on the side of the trailer and allow me to put the BBQ on the picnic table.

The second hose that is 15" long, I installed a female quick disconnect on one end to connect to the BBQ male, and on the other end I reduced down from the 1/4" MPT to 1/8" MPT to connect to the original regulator that came with the Webber Q. This allows me to still picnic with the Q and utilize the small disposable bottles.

I bought all fittings at Fairview fittings, as well as the hose. If you would like the catologue numbers for the fittings etc, give me a shout. Or if you would like me to make a hose for you...just send me all the numbers of the fitting that is on the retractable hose on the side of your RV, along with a couple of hundred bucks (case of local IPA beer, will assure you of priority seqence) and length of hose you want and I'll git 'er done.

I have pictures of the above, but I can't figure out how to post them.
Roopert21bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #2

Pictures, Everyone Likes Pictures

[img]pb201317[/img]
[img]pb201318[/img]
[img]pb201319[/img]
Old 11-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #3

Pictures, Everyone Likes Pictures

Here's some of the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB201317.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	9314   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB201318.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	9315   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB201319.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	9316  
Old 11-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #4

Luv my Q

I've got the Baby Q, that I added the "wings" on later. Here it is in Estes Park Colorado, cooking up the evening meal. These along with a semi sweet red wine we got at a Estes Park vineyard, made for a very nice meal.

I've also got a Q200 I use for my home grilling. I'm going to have to look into your set up for my Baby Q.

JR

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #5

Estes Park

Wow, that brings back memories. When I was 16 or 17 I went to a School called Ravencrest Chalet in Estes Park. Did you know the Stanley Hotel is the one they used in the Shining with J Nicholson. No maze though. We did some of the best skiing at a national park just the other side of Estes. I think it was called Rocky Mountain National Park. All it had was T-Bars, no chair lifts, and a bus to get you from the lower section to the bowls up above. Looks like a great meal on the Baby Q, my mouth is watering from here.

For all the money i spent on the hose set up, i could have bought a bundle of disposable propane bottles. LOL
Old 11-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #6

Yep, never stayed at the Stanley, but did a drive through the grounds once. This was our first trip up there with the camper back the last weekend in September. The elk were rutting and in town.

I've looked at the pre-made kits at Sportsman's Warehouse and thought about modding one of those to be the go between the low pressure in the camper directly to the grill, bypassing the regulator on the Q. Maybe something to look into this winter, but those little bottles are cheap.....

JR

The Q200 has a bit more space. Here it is at home.

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Anacortesians

I just got a Q-220 from daughter and son jointly as a 70th birthday gift. They got it from Overstock.com, who sent a Q-200 first. Got a return authorised and the 220 arrived two weeks ago, with both folding tables busted off! Weber came through with no-charge replacements, even though I think it was Overtock's fault. It looked like it was a returned unit and the returner had packed it differently than the factory packaging. Couple of minor scuff marks that I can deal with, so I'm not going to start WW3.

I'm thinking of doing the same as you did so I can run the grill off the RV big bottle, but get far enough away. I will have to put a QD into the line from the RV source. I was originally thinking of getting one of those doughnut style tie-downs for a 20-lb. bottle so I could carry one in a storage bay.

I'll be interested to know how the performance of the grill is with 16' of hose between it and the regulator. I've seen posts from people who tied into their RV gas system downstream of the rig's regulator and didn't use the Weber regulator at all. One post waid that even at the minimum setting, the grill temp was off-scale high on the lid thermometer!

Won't be using it until spring "peeps over the windowsill", so there's time to make up my mind.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #8

I am already hungry just by the look of these steaks!
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #9

Q120

Yea ... im pretty interested in the preformace of the weber Q with about 15 or so ft. of line out ....you have sparked my interest.
im a big bbqer up here in canada ... so much that i insulated my smoker so i can do ribs and brisket in the cold canadian winter ...
anywhooo ..any more info on this subject is very welcome ...

d-mo
Old 11-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #10

Roopert, You're my hero! We just got back from four nights with the new Roo and I brought along our original Weber-Q since we were camping with friends. When I was setting up, I had to pull a bottle off of the camper and made a note to try and figure out how to connect the Q to the QD when we got home.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, pass on the part numbers so I can get this done. We're camping with friends and family for eight nights in January and I'd love to have this done by then.

THanks and great job!

Drew
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #11

Fittings

Here it is in a nut shell.

I am a gas fitter in Ontario, BC, and Yukon, so I always try to utilize as big a pipe (hose) as possible. So all the hose's you see are 3/8" ID hose with 3/8"MPT fittings on the ends. You might decide you need smaller or bigger and that would change the Fairview Fittings catalogue numbers.

Off the Q
After you remove the regulator you are left with a 1/8'MPT that is on the turn valve you use to modulate your flame.

You need a fitting #119-BA 1/4"FPT x 1/8"FPT reducing coupling to connect to your QD-GMRVC4-4M male quick disconnect.

Hose #1 15" hose to connect to a disposable bottle.

From the Female quick disconnect #QD-GMRV-4F you will need a fitting #120-CB 3/8"FPT x 1/4"MPT. On the other end of the hose you will need a fitting #120-CA 3/8"FPT x 1/8"MPT, this fitting will allow you to connect to the original Q regulator. This is the hose that will connect to the Q and a small disposable bottle.

Hose #2 10' x 3/8"ID Type 1 rubber with 3/8"MPT fittings both ends.

On one end of this hose you will need a male quick disconnect to plug into the female located on your trailer. The male part number is QD-GMRVC4-4M with fitting #119-CB between said male QD and hose. On the other end of this hose you will need a female quick disconnect #QD-GMRVC4-4F, in between the female disconnect and the hose you will need fitting #120-CB.

All fittings must be threaded using a pipe dope, like Masters Metalic or Masters Metalic Teflon.

There you go.

I highly recommend an India Pale Ale to compliment the above work. One that I am very fond of right now is called Hoptical Illusion by Flying Monkey, a small micro brewery in Barrie Ontario.

Enjoy
Kevin

Tags
bbq