Old 08-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Resident Masshole
Originally Posted by Changes_In_Latitudes View Post
I've heard good things about [Moose Hillock Campground]. You'll have to let me know how it was. It's on our list of places to visit sometime.
Ditto, stayed there back in our tenting days, nothing bad to say about it in a tent (kids loved the pool), less sure about the trailer area though. It's a good launch point for some local attractions at least (Polar Caves, Clark's Trading Post, etc).

That was some tough luck on the tire, but quick thinking on the propane situation. I too am curious as to root cause. Keep us posted!

Tom F.
2013 GMC 2500HD SLT Crew Cab
2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
The service tech came today. He inspected everything related to propane and checked for leaks from the tanks and regulator, lines under the chassis, to the appliances themselves. And came up with nothing. He asked if the stove top was on, even a little, and I told him I checked it and it wasn't. So assuming that the stove top wasn't on slightly, his theory is that the fridge pilot would get blown out while under way. It would go through the ignition sequence, and always light in at least enough time to not trigger the "3 failed attempts" condition where the fridge just shuts down with the Check error light. Several iterations of this while driving down the road, combined with the fact that the inside of the camper is lower pressure and sucks the gas inside, could be enough over time to fill the camper with propane (and even then, it may not have been as much propane as we thought - they make the stuff stink for a reason). But then again.... other cars could smell it. He said the condition could be aggravated by the fact that the fridge vent for my model is also on the side of the camper (and higher up where there is potentially more air turbulence), instead of through the roof like many other campers. Having the vent on the side of the slide could be allowing more air to flow down to the flame. He had no other explanation. He said that while traveling with propane is not uncommon (many do it as I was), he recommended that if I'm only traveling 4-5 hours to just get her real cold and packed before the trip and just turn it off until we get there. And he also recommended that I leave one of my vents covered by MaxAir to be open to allow ventilation while traveling. He told me that they take propane leaks very seriously, but he had to give my camper a clean bill of health.

So it makes me a little nervous not being 100% positive, and I guess we'll be traveling with her off from now on. After this, I would be constantly nervous while driving if I left it on. We'll be camping again for Labor day so we'll have another test.

Anti-climatic... but at least we live to camp another day.

It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

2011 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 6.2L (for towin')
2014 Roo 23IKSS (for campin')
2005 Monterey 180FS (for boatin')
Changes_In_Latitudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
I think re-creating the exact conditions would be a good plan before a trip. If issue occurs, straight to the dealer lot. DW would not sleep in the trailer if she thought there could be a leak.

2011 PrimeTime Tracer 2600rls
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 6.0L 4.10:1 axle ratio
Nights camping 2014 - 17
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote