Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

Many stories from our 23ikss this past week

So we just got back from a wonderful week of camping in Maine. Couldn't have asked for better weather. This was our 5th trip out this summer (24 days camping in total), so we've put our 23 ikss to the test and she's been a great camper so far. We did discover a few things about our 2014 23ikss this time that we'll have to go back to the dealer to get fixed on warranty. Plus a minor incident when we arrived at the campsite and one MAJOR incident on the way home that I'm glad the family is safe.

First, somehow we popped a tire. As I was backing into our site, my wife guiding me in, she yelled to me that she heard hissing. Sure enough, there was a rock embedded in the tire. We quickly got her into her site before she ran flat. Luckily I purchased roadside insurance with the camper, and I had a service truck there within a couple hours changing out the tire with the spare. We brought the tire in but they couldn't repair it - the rock hole was too big. They said we must have hit the rock just right to get that to happen. I'm guessing the tire grinded on it as I pivoted the camper into the site.

Next, I noticed that the rightmost cabinet door above the couch was out of alignment - actually hanging low. The screws to the cabinet hinges were stripped and not gripping the "wood" behind it. Not sure if it was kids yanking on it on a previous trip or just a factory faux pas. But should be easy to fix.

Then, as setting out the slides, I noticed a piece of plastic hanging down under the dinette/couch slide. The piece of plastic that curves/bends when the slide is closed and holds the electrical wires running to the slide out up above the grond somehow snapped. Luckily it didn't hang very low and I could still drive back. But another warranty item nonetheless.

Then, the rear outdoor speaker started crackling this week. The distinct sound of a speaker starting to blow. We always play music very quietly, so I know it's not from misuse. Tempted to replace with better speakers altogether, but I may just use the warranty again on this one.

Finally, a very scary experience. We always keep the fridge on auto and run on propane when travelling. About halfway home of a 4 hour drive, everyone in the truck started to smell a REALLY strong smell of propane. Keep in mind we were driving 55 mph at the time. After waiting a few seconds to see if it would pass, and it didn't, we pulled off at a rest stop that was coming up just to see if we could see where it was coming from. Two other cars had pulled off as well, and followed up to me telling me that they could smell it in there cars as they approached me on the highway. I couldn't really smell it anymore now that I was stopped, but I quickly killed the propane and went to check out the camper. When I opened the camper door it smelled of propane very strongly. I got the kids out and away from the truck, and carefully opened everything I could to air out the camper. After 20 minutes the smell had completely dissipated. I'm stumped as to what could have leaked propane, why my fire alarm wasn't going off in the camper if it was a gas leak, if it was the fridge why it didn't kill the propane after failing to light, and how in the world we could smell it in our truck while driving. Going to call the dealer tomorrow, but any thoughts?

2011 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 6.2L (for towin')
2014 Roo 23IKSS (for campin')
2005 Monterey 180FS (for boatin')
Changes_In_Latitudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #2

Wow, I'm glad everyone is safe. Keep us posted on the propane issue. I'm heading out Thursday for our first trip with our Roo. Where did you camp in Maine?
5.7-liter Hemi V-8

2015 nights camped - 5
Tewksburyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Changes_In_Latitudes View Post
So we just got back from a wonderful week of camping in Maine. Couldn't have asked for better weather. This was our 5th trip out this summer (24 days camping in total), so we've put our 23 ikss to the test and she's been a great camper so far. We did discover a few things about our 2014 23ikss this time that we'll have to go back to the dealer to get fixed on warranty. Plus a minor incident when we arrived at the campsite and one MAJOR incident on the way home that I'm glad the family is safe.

First, somehow we popped a tire. As I was backing into our site, my wife guiding me in, she yelled to me that she heard hissing. Sure enough, there was a rock embedded in the tire. We quickly got her into her site before she ran flat. Luckily I purchased roadside insurance with the camper, and I had a service truck there within a couple hours changing out the tire with the spare. We brought the tire in but they couldn't repair it - the rock hole was too big. They said we must have hit the rock just right to get that to happen. I'm guessing the tire grinded on it as I pivoted the camper into the site.

Next, I noticed that the rightmost cabinet door above the couch was out of alignment - actually hanging low. The screws to the cabinet hinges were stripped and not gripping the "wood" behind it. Not sure if it was kids yanking on it on a previous trip or just a factory faux pas. But should be easy to fix.

Then, as setting out the slides, I noticed a piece of plastic hanging down under the dinette/couch slide. The piece of plastic that curves/bends when the slide is closed and holds the electrical wires running to the slide out up above the grond somehow snapped. Luckily it didn't hang very low and I could still drive back. But another warranty item nonetheless.

Then, the rear outdoor speaker started crackling this week. The distinct sound of a speaker starting to blow. We always play music very quietly, so I know it's not from misuse. Tempted to replace with better speakers altogether, but I may just use the warranty again on this one.

Finally, a very scary experience. We always keep the fridge on auto and run on propane when travelling. About halfway home of a 4 hour drive, everyone in the truck started to smell a REALLY strong smell of propane. Keep in mind we were driving 55 mph at the time. After waiting a few seconds to see if it would pass, and it didn't, we pulled off at a rest stop that was coming up just to see if we could see where it was coming from. Two other cars had pulled off as well, and followed up to me telling me that they could smell it in there cars as they approached me on the highway. I couldn't really smell it anymore now that I was stopped, but I quickly killed the propane and went to check out the camper. When I opened the camper door it smelled of propane very strongly. I got the kids out and away from the truck, and carefully opened everything I could to air out the camper. After 20 minutes the smell had completely dissipated. I'm stumped as to what could have leaked propane, why my fire alarm wasn't going off in the camper if it was a gas leak, if it was the fridge why it didn't kill the propane after failing to light, and how in the world we could smell it in our truck while driving. Going to call the dealer tomorrow, but any thoughts?
I would have your dealer look at the kitchen slide for a propane hose problem. The same thing might have happened to the accordian cable tray that holds the propane hose. To have that much smell of propane sounds like a broken line for sure or a overfilled tank that had a pressure relief valve go. One easy way to check all connection is a spray bottle used fro misting plants, ad some palmolive and water and spray looking for bubbles on all connections.

Dealer involvemnt is needed here and make sure they find something.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #4

Good job dealing with that emergency situation!

Gas can actually be drawn into the trailer by the lower air pressure created when moving, so check your tank connections. Beyond that, let the service department look for the issue.

Good luck with the situation.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewksburyduck View Post
Wow, I'm glad everyone is safe. Keep us posted on the propane issue. I'm heading out Thursday for our first trip with our Roo. Where did you camp in Maine?
Bayleys camping resort in OOB. Great place for kids.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #6

Heading to Moose Hillock in Warren NH this week.
5.7-liter Hemi V-8

2015 nights camped - 5
Tewksburyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewksburyduck View Post
Heading to Moose Hillock in Warren NH this week.
I've heard good things about that place. You'll have to let me know how it was. It's on our list of places to visit sometime.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #8

So the dealer is sending a service tech to my residence this Friday. They're going to address the propane since it's a safety hazard, and squeezed me in before the labor day holiday. The rest of my items will probably require a second visit after the holidays. But he'll assess my issues at least while here. Having them come to me is a definite perk of the extended warranty I purchased. I live an hour away from the dealer. I didn't want the extended warranty but my wife talked me into it. I'm still not sold that it will pay off in the long run, but I'm liking it today.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Bayleys camping resort in OOB. Great place for kids.
We were there Sunday,Monday and Tuesday last week. What was your Site #? We were in 32.

Paul
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTn_biKer65 View Post
We were there Sunday,Monday and Tuesday last week. What was your Site #? We were in 32.

Paul
What a coincidence. We were there Sunday to Sunday, site T5 abutting Gaelan Pond.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Resident Masshole

Quote:
I've heard good things about [Moose Hillock Campground]. You'll have to let me know how it was. It's on our list of places to visit sometime.
Ditto, stayed there back in our tenting days, nothing bad to say about it in a tent (kids loved the pool), less sure about the trailer area though. It's a good launch point for some local attractions at least (Polar Caves, Clark's Trading Post, etc).

That was some tough luck on the tire, but quick thinking on the propane situation. I too am curious as to root cause. Keep us posted!

-Tom
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #12

The service tech came today. He inspected everything related to propane and checked for leaks from the tanks and regulator, lines under the chassis, to the appliances themselves. And came up with nothing. He asked if the stove top was on, even a little, and I told him I checked it and it wasn't. So assuming that the stove top wasn't on slightly, his theory is that the fridge pilot would get blown out while under way. It would go through the ignition sequence, and always light in at least enough time to not trigger the "3 failed attempts" condition where the fridge just shuts down with the Check error light. Several iterations of this while driving down the road, combined with the fact that the inside of the camper is lower pressure and sucks the gas inside, could be enough over time to fill the camper with propane (and even then, it may not have been as much propane as we thought - they make the stuff stink for a reason). But then again.... other cars could smell it. He said the condition could be aggravated by the fact that the fridge vent for my model is also on the side of the camper (and higher up where there is potentially more air turbulence), instead of through the roof like many other campers. Having the vent on the side of the slide could be allowing more air to flow down to the flame. He had no other explanation. He said that while traveling with propane is not uncommon (many do it as I was), he recommended that if I'm only traveling 4-5 hours to just get her real cold and packed before the trip and just turn it off until we get there. And he also recommended that I leave one of my vents covered by MaxAir to be open to allow ventilation while traveling. He told me that they take propane leaks very seriously, but he had to give my camper a clean bill of health.

So it makes me a little nervous not being 100% positive, and I guess we'll be traveling with her off from now on. After this, I would be constantly nervous while driving if I left it on. We'll be camping again for Labor day so we'll have another test.

Anti-climatic... but at least we live to camp another day.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #13

I think re-creating the exact conditions would be a good plan before a trip. If issue occurs, straight to the dealer lot. DW would not sleep in the trailer if she thought there could be a leak.