Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #1

Mattress Heaters on 23SS

Tried out the mattress heaters on our new 23SS and they don't appear to do much of anything. Is there some trick to getting them to work? The dials light up, and we had them both turned up to max. The only got slightly warm a couple of inches from the connectors. Beyond that there was nothing.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #2

We've used ours several during spring break this year as the night time temps dropped to the mid to upper 20's.

What I found is that it isn't like an electric blanket - feeling warmth throughout. I did feel warm as I was sleeping (perhaps pressure on the mattress assists) - so much in fact that I turned mine down.

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #3

I have never tried ours. We put a 1" memory foam topper over the mattress and I don't know if the heat would radiate through it or not. I'm interested to know how they work.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #4

You need to turn them on a few hours before calling it a night since they take forever to get warm. It also helps to keep thick covers on top for insulation. I've never put anything under the mattress, but depending on how cold it is at night, it might help them stay warmer. Seems to work for us even with a 2" memory foam topper.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #5

Quote:
What I found is that it isn't like an electric blanket - feeling warmth throughout. I did feel warm as I was sleeping (perhaps pressure on the mattress assists) - so much in fact that I turned mine down.
Same here. I thought it wasn't working. The plug doesn't seem to really plug in very far, so I cut down the outside of the plug, thinking I could get it to go in farther. Turns out it was in far enough, it just doesn't get very hot. It's only about 100-150 watts (about the same as a bright light bulb) spread out over the entire bunk. Just turn it on full and get in. You'll probably be turning it down before the night is over.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Site Team

yes, they are more warmers than heaters and need time to heat up.
once you sleep on them, you should be happy.
just touching the top of the mattress won't do it. it needs body weight on them to really be effective.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #7

Thank you all so much. Your replies all make perfect sense. Now to convince the DW we need to try it out one night soon!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #8

On a side note, I went to our local Walmart and found a small, low power heater on season ending clearence sale for a whopping $9. My daughter has the same heater so I trust it. I can run it and not have to use the propane on mildly chilly nights when I have an AC hookup. I just thought I'd share.
Greg
Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
Site Team

many of us use a ceramic heater or a oil-filled radiator heater to supplement the trailer's furnace.
you can set the thermostat lower so that the furnace only kicks in when it gets below what the ceramic/radiator can maintain, therefore using less propane.

unfortunately, we rarely get to use ours or the heated mattresses since we dry camp almost all the time.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #10

We really like an electric blanket, about 15 minutes warm-up and it is really comfortable on cold nights. Also use a small electric heater (and sometime the fireplace if it gets in the low 30's) and seldom have to use the furnace and then only in the morning to warm up the living room.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #11

Fireplace?? How sweet is that!

We camped in our side yard yesterday and the heated mattresses were actually pretty warm once you're in bed. I would have run a space heater or the TT heater as well, but the Mrs didn't want to. Not sure why?