Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #1

Measuring for toolbox on tongue

I'd like to add a toolbox on the tongue of my 2016 23ss. The problem is my camper is in storage two and a half hours away. Would someone please measure the space between the camper and the propane cover? Also, how are the propane tanks secured to the frame? Can they be moved forward an inch or so?

Thanks in advance for the help!
ROCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:11 AM   #2

I'm looking at pictures of Roo 23ss online.........The battery is behind the propane tanks, do I don't think they can be moved forward.
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
I'm looking at pictures of Roo 23ss online.........The battery is behind the propane tanks, do I don't think they can be moved forward.

We can't say for sure about moving the tanks until someone looks at their camper to see how the tanks are attached. It doesn't need to be a 23ss, any roo will do.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:59 AM   #4

Adding a toolbox

I remember seeing this on the forum last year when we were talking about Pugs. Maybe this will help.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?p=896209

ROCAMPER- Hopefully this Michigan winter is behind us and we can all get the Roos out of storage.

Jim
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #5

I am currently at St Geo Island FL, so I just took this picture.

I purchased from Lowes big box store a box to put on the tongue of my 2014 Shamrock 183. I needed the narrow bottom to clear the brackets of my tow bar mounted on tongue. Yours may be different.

I had to move the propane tanks forward about an inch, more so to allow me to get my hand between the tank cover and the box to make the box unlatch. No big deal as the tank frame is only attached with several drill screws into the frame. I also used 6 large drill screws and washers to mount the box to the frame. Must mount box about an inch+ from wall to allow for top to swing open.

Enough room in the box to move the battery into and I have a big group 27 deep cycle.

I store wheel chocks, a few blocks of wood, and a few tools. I store my outdoor rug folded up on the box while traveling which is the reason for the D-rings on the lower sides that allow me to use a strap.

Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6746.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	101649  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
I remember seeing this on the forum last year when we were talking about Pugs. Maybe this will help.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?p=896209

ROCAMPER- Hopefully this Michigan winter is behind us and we can all get the Roos out of storage.

Jim

Thanks for the link.

I too hope winter is done. When do you think it will be safe to de winterize the camper?
Old 03-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I am currently at St Geo Island FL, so I just took this picture.

I purchased from Lowes big box store a box to put on the tongue of my 2014 Shamrock 183. I needed the narrow bottom to clear the brackets of my tow bar mounted on tongue. Yours may be different.

I had to move the propane tanks forward about an inch, more so to allow me to get my hand between the tank cover and the box to make the box unlatch. No big deal as the tank frame is only attached with several drill screws into the frame. I also used 6 large drill screws and washers to mount the box to the frame. Must mount box about an inch+ from wall to allow for top to swing open.

Enough room in the box to move the battery into and I have a big group 27 deep cycle.

I store wheel chocks, a few blocks of wood, and a few tools. I store my outdoor rug folded up on the box while traveling which is the reason for the D-rings on the lower sides that allow me to use a strap.

Works great.

Thanks! This is just what I needed. I hadn't thought about the brackets for the tow bar.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #8

a little more detail

should have said, t"railer slopes out from bottom to bunk hinge pushing box forward"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	101657  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCAMPER View Post
Thanks for the link.

I too hope winter is done. When do you think it will be safe to de winterize the camper?
I would think certainly by end of the month. We usually go get ours out of storage by April 1st (Grand Blanc) and I usually dewinterize right after. By then it doesn't stay below freezing very long. We're already "chomping at the bit" to start camping again.
It's cool to see quite a few more Michiganders with Roos here on the forum. Congrats on your 23ss. We still love ours and fortunately haven't had any issues with it.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:02 AM   #10

Tool storage

I have a similar rig and am in the process of building a storage box. Here is what I noted so far. No room to move the tanks forward but I'm going to build a double decker box so that the batteries will be in the bottom and the leveling ramps can be stored above them. I will let you know the final size that fits and if it works as planned.
Rob
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #11

I built the same box from plywood , built to take advantage of every 1/4 inch . Placed two six volts in center and leveling junk on the sides . Painted it same color as trailer , of course I have a woodworking shop and have made many for boats and yachts . As I did not want to drill hole in frame I fastened it to the welded cross members that previously held the batts .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #12

Myself I do not like the cheap plastic gas bottle covers I gained several inches by removing the cover . Easy to move bottle brackets forward .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #13

I bought this tongue box from Harbor Freight. changed the lock to match the replacements I had changed out on the TT. t was on sale when I bought it for about $50.

2-1/3 cu. ft. Steel Trailer Tongue Box

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #14

Here are photos.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1457801686988.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	101728   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457801715876.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	101729  
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #15

Great mod! I am also glad I am not the only one out there chomping at the bit to dewinterize and get camping!
Old 03-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #16

I also added the harbor fright! tool box on my Roo 19. I moved my LP tanks back though, after I put my batteries inside. The tool box sits on the platform that the LP tank holder was originally bolted onto.

Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lp-tank-location.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	101814  
dragon-roo is offline   Reply With Quote