Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #1

Mice in the roof

We have 2016 Roo 23IKSS. Went camping this past weekend and woke up Saturday morning to what sounded like mice scratching at the styrofoam insulation in the roof.

How do they get there?
3 kids and a big yellow lab and piti/lab cross
jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #2

Are you sure that wasn't a squirrel? Or did you have too many beverages Friday night?

I guess one ( a mouse) could possibly crawl into the rooftop AC housing and find its way into the duct that is formed in the roof foam for the ducted air if an opening was left somewhere. It doesn't take much of a hole.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #3

Checked the rooftop ac unit. No evidence inside or out of any disturbance. The noise seemed to be away from any of the a/c roof ducts in the trailer ceiling.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #4

This may sound dumb but could it have been a tree branch rubbing the roof? If not get after it quick before what ever it is does more damage
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #5

No overhead trees. And not enough beers to be hearing things.

From inside, would it be possible for mice to access the roof interior by climbing the plumbing stack?
Old 06-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #6

Climbing the stack is definitely possible. You need to look at the floor of your trailer and identify any openings. This includes vent stacks, water lines, propane and electrical. Seal these holes with wood and caulk with steel wool and construction adhesive. Mice in your roof for a prolonged period could destroy the value of your unit. Once it's all sealed up I would call an exterminator to ensure that there are no mice left.

Just my two cents!
Hoser2eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferson View Post
No overhead trees. And not enough beers to be hearing things.

From inside, would it be possible for mice to access the roof interior by climbing the plumbing stack?

Other than the AC duct and a couple areas where they routered out foam for wiring, the roof on a Roo is solid laminated bead foam with some aluminum supports buried inside also. I doubt a mouse could tunnel through it like a ground mole.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

I kept my Roo covered in my backyard over winter. When I took the cover off, I found a lot of mouse droppings on the roof. They had apparently been living between the cover and the roof. There was no evidence that they had been inside the trailer or that they found a way into the roof (and no damage to the cover).

I'm interested to hear what you determine to be the issue.
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #9

you are lucky it was mice. had a fifth wheel in storage and when we uncovered it in the spring we found piles of Racoon droppings on the roof next to the A/C. Seems the cover formed a nice tent and the sun beating down on it kept them fairly warm. We could see where they climbed up the inside of the cover. As far as mice I have only seen two trailers in 40 years that mice or ground squirrels have entered the roof. both were through the A/C unit. Plenty of damage to the foam A/C ducts and the light wires.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
nosaint3

My brother brought a few mice with him from Colorado in his motor home. They ended up in my pool skimmers quite dead. I have birds that play around in the water on my slide covers and lately squirrels that jump from one tree to my camper to the tree on the other side. The birds pecked holes in my old campers toppers. I'm going to try that mint
smelling stuff on the roof. Birds sound like scratching also.
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #11

I had the same issue but found it early on. I cleaned the camper real good and put the cover on for the first time. Lucky I was checking it one day and when I pulled back the night shade over the bed vent I found a mouse nest on top of the screen under the vent hood. I unzipped the cover and found a lot of mouse dropping on the roof. I cleaned it all up and two days later it was all back. I still don't know how they got under the vent cover. The cover gave them a way to climb up to the roof. They did chew a couple of the straps off the cover to help in the nest building. I removed the cover and solved the problem. I will never use the cover again.
Tomgky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #12

If you can find where they are entering, you might try a combination of TTO (Tea Tree Oil) and peppermint oil. It works as a rodent repellent.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:40 AM   #13

3 or 4 years back we had some critter climb out TT cover,,, and it eat very large holes in the cover ??? Have no Idea what it was,,, coon maybe ???
We have never seen a Squeal in our yard !!! Only have Pine Trees !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof