Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Look in your owner's "bag" (where all the manuals are). You will probably find a think that looks like this:

That is your water filter wrench you need to use this to make sure your filter housing is snug and secure...

I got $5 that sez the PDI Tech did NOT use this when your unit was prepped (I say this because our PDI tech made us use the wrench to put the filter in so we would know how to do it )

Now, assuming the above is true, I would march back to my dealer and have them take care of all the potential damages to your unit. Take photos now if you haven't already!

If your carpet was soaked almost 100% positive you will have mold. If it soaked your linoleum, almost 100% positive you will have underfloor rot.

Sorry this happened to you - it was a pi$$-poor PDI that caused this
Wonder if the bowl gasket was lubricated? If original it will be dry don't believe that bowl can turn under internal water pressure. The friction will prevent it when tightened.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Yep, you're not alone. Others have posted here that there seems to be a gremlin in their RV unscrewing those filters. IIRC one guy said he sat and *watched* it unscrew itself.
That would be me. My water pressure/flow rate has been subpar from day one. Of course, I installed the filter in the housing soon as I got it home.

I had a really hard time getting it to lock in, but I did.

Then freezing weather came through. I took the filter bowl off and carried it in the house. A few days later, I reinstalled it, no issues.

Fast forward, I'm camping and wasn't happy with my shower. So I tried eliminating issues in the system. Removed the regulator, that improved things, but no dice, I reinstalled the regulator. I then pulled the filter out and put the bowl back on empty, it improved it.

I put the filter back in and reinstalled the bowl. It screwed back to the same point.

I turned the water back on and watched it unscrew and blow off. I tried again, same thing. No filter, same thing. Tried to figure out why, the toothed ratchet part seemed to be working.

I put it back on, left the wrench on the bowl and let it unscrew against the wall. It stayed there.

I went to Home Depot and got a GE Watersmart filter, installed it in the same place. Vastly increased water flow rate, filters are $11 a two pack for a sub 5 micron filter.

I like my Sierra, but FR screwed the pooch on the water filter.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:44 AM   #23

That very same thing happen to us. I had just closed the hatch door and walked about 30 feet when my neighbor yelled to come back. The canister literally backed out of the housing and water began flowing. Got the shop vac and sucked up the water on the interior carpet until it was completely dry. Turned the hose around and used the exhaust heat to dry up everything. Bought some blue PEX pipe and connectors and deleted the entire water filter.

I posted on the 27RLWS thread with pictures. I use a hose bib filter now "outside" the TT.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #24

So it sounds like I shouldn't continue to blame my husband? ;-)
hockeyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
No! No A/C! Heat draws out the moisture and the DampRid will soak up the moisture.
A/C is an oversized dehumidifier. That's why your A/C has water draining out of it constantly.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfam View Post
So it sounds like I shouldn't continue to blame my husband? ;-)
LOL

I just never liked where the water filter was located in my trailer, and how hard it was to access, so I did as others, and just removed it entirely....then tied the lines together. Mine was located behind a cabinet door that you had to unscrew to access. It just looked like a potential problem from day one, and bothered me. I made that mod the first weekend I had it.

Use an outside filter now, and all is good.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #27
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
A/C is an oversized dehumidifier. That's why your A/C has water draining out of it constantly.

X2 - the evaporator coils will attract the moisture from the air and the condensate will be deposited outside. Now if you can reheat the air while the A/C is on, you'll have a dry camper in no time.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #28

What has worked for us! We can SEE what is going in,we can Dictate what Level of (Filtration) is going into the R/V,Potential Leaks are outside. We could not see thru those (Blue Inline) filters! Your water your choice! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4107.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	55824  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #29
NELA

Quote:

Thank you OC. I had suggested running the A/C on another wet situation thread, as A/Cs *are* dehumidifiers. Air conditioner.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #30
NELA

Our filter is also located behind a secure/screwed shut door. DH and I have considered removing it entirely, or putting a normal latch on that cabinet door.

When we first got the 5er the filter dripped a single drop every few seconds. DH put some sort of gasket lube on the o ring and the dripping stopped. (don't remember what kind) But I do not like that it's in a location that we can easily monitor it often. With the sizeable hole where the plumbing comes thru directly beneath the filter bowl we likely wouldn't know there's a problem until it's pouring out of the underbelly.

WHY does FR put these filters on 5ers/TTs in such a difficult place to access with the access door screwed shut? And surely they know that with multiple screwing/unscrewing that door eventually the screw holes will wallow out.

On ours, there's nothing else in that cabinet, no electrical.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #31

Just take it off and put one outside...save you a lot of headaches and frustration. Ask me how I know...

CampingDixieDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #32

Quote:
No! No A/C! Heat draws out the moisture and the DampRid will soak up the moisture.
Airconditioners, are nothing more then big dehumidifiers. If you want to dry something out, then button it up, and turn the air down. As the air moves across the evaporator, the moisture condenses, and drains off. The AC and a couple of fans, will dry it out quicker then anything else. It works in a house, and it'll work in a trailer.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #33
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
What has worked for us! We can SEE what is going in,we can Dictate what Level of (Filtration) is going into the R/V,Potential Leaks are outside. We could not see thru those (Blue Inline) filters! Your water your choice! Youroo!!
Can you advise how you mounted the filter or provide a close up picture? I plan on eliminating the factory installed pos as soon as I get our new TT hopefully next week. I have used a couple of these when we were pumping creek water at our property in NC and they worked great but I just set them on the ground.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #34

Yes,mounted a tube on the frame area where the (Under belly) is secured.Then another undersize tube that is mounted to the filter assy (Slides into the mounted tube). Keeps the filter off the ground,I have seen buckets,pushin brackets,and all kind of Other devices,but We like ours! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #35

So should I bother calling the dealer when we get home? Or just rig our own contraption?
hockeyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #36

Rig your own or follow the previous posts but what ever you do, get rid of the water filter inside the TT.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #37

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ign-53927.html

2015 Sunseeker 3010ds
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Wonder if the bowl gasket was lubricated? If original it will be dry don't believe that bowl can turn under internal water pressure. The friction will prevent it when tightened.
X2! Dawn Dish soap is good for that BTW
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
X2 - the evaporator coils will attract the moisture from the air and the condensate will be deposited outside. Now if you can reheat the air while the A/C is on, you'll have a dry camper in no time.
Quote:
Soooo I am wondering...if you have a 50AMP unit (Dual A/C), seems like you COULD run both your furnace and your A/C (but they would be competing wouldn't they?) Still say DampRid is a better dehumidifier
Old 06-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Ben Franklin
Urban Legend BTW...
(Vanity) Source needed for Benjamin Franklin quote

De-Hijacking thread back to catastrophes

Tags
cat