Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 03:27 AM   #1

Missing power awning on 2019 Shamrock 21SS

Just purchased a 2019 Shamrock 21SS. Web site at LazyDays listed power awning as an included amenity. Forest River also lists it as standard on their web site. Picked up the unit and the guy doing the orientation noticed the awning was manual. They said we could sort it out later and proceeded with the orientation. Paid cash and took the rig home and called back the next day to discuss getting the awning swapped. Now I'm getting the runaround. Said I have to work with Forest River on it. Meanwhile the bottom bracket holding one of the awning supports has already come loose with only a single use of the awning. Lag screws are stripped out! If an amenity is listed on the spec sheet and sales person includes it in the overview of what's provided, shouldn't the unit have it? I apparently paid for it. Anybody else have this happen?

Is power awning standard on a 2019 21SS?
Troutd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:30 AM   #2
"On the road again"

I would go well beyond the salesman or repair guy that's giving you the runaround. Go to the General Manager...involve Forest River...and if you still get no response my next stop would be the BBB to file a complaint, as well as any local "Consumer Reporter" you may have on TV in your area.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #3

According to Forest Rivers own web site, the power awning is listed in the standard package G. Im pretty sure this package is mandatory when ordering so Im not real sure how a manual awning made its way out of the factory to begin with. If they only offer power awnings, you would think that power awnings would be the only ones the factory would have to install unless it was swapped out by the dealer. Its not all that uncommon for them to rob parts off of unsold trailers to resolve warranty claims.

Flagstaff Shamrock Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

Does the control panel in the trailer have a switch installed to run the power awning? Id also check the invoice and see what is listed for options. If it lists "power awning", or "standard package G" which includes the power awning then it most certainly is the dealers problem. They sold it to you, you paid for it, they didn't deliver it. If you get nowhere with the dealer I wouldn't hesitate to contact the Forest River Flagstaff Service Dept. Ive had prior issues and went through Jake Carter. He could sometimes be difficult to get a hold of, but he was excellent to work with. Unfortunately, I see he's no longer listed as a contact for Flagstaff. Here is the new contact info for the new Flagstaff Service dept.

Forest River
RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc.

For future reference, you probably should have withheld payment and not accepted delivery until the correct awning was installed.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:47 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice I went to the dealer GM and he was very eager to help sort this out. He actually called Forest River while I was there and they are looking into the matter.

Meanwhile the lower bracket that attaches the left side awning support arm has already come loose. It is secured with short lag screws into the side wall of the trailer. Apparently no backer plate so there's little holding power. What a terrible design. Have only pulled the awning out twice and already it's coming loose.

I will post a separate question regarding this to see how people have fixed it.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutd0g View Post
They said we could sort it out later and proceeded with the orientation.
That's dealerspeak meaning you're about to get the "Bum's Rush".

My guess is that it came with a power awning, but the dealer swapped it out with a manual, and then over-tightened the lag bolts. I wouldn't have closed the deal unless the awning matter was settled first. Now, they've got your money, but you don't have a power awning.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
Site Team

It is not uncommon for dealers to swap out parts from inventory units to make a repair for someone who says "I am not signing anything until it is right". I would ask for the fix in writing. Tell them to order the correct awning and once it arrives call you to set up an swap out date. I would not take it back until they can actually do the repair.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #7

I agree with rjshiflet I dont know how the dealer ship can do that to a customer.I blackball there name all over these sites
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Just purchased a 2019 Shamrock 21SS. Web site at LazyDays listed power awning as an included amenity. Forest River also lists it as standard on their web site. Picked up the unit and the guy doing the orientation noticed the awning was manual. They said we could sort it out later and proceeded with the orientation. Paid cash and took the rig home and called back the next day to discuss getting the awning swapped. Now I'm getting the runaround. Said I have to work with Forest River on it. Meanwhile the bottom bracket holding one of the awning supports has already come loose with only a single use of the awning. Lag screws are stripped out! If an amenity is listed on the spec sheet and sales person includes it in the overview of what's provided, shouldn't the unit have it? I apparently paid for it. Anybody else have this happen?

Is power awning standard on a 2019 21SS?
If I were you I would feel lucky to have the Manual Awning !!!
They are much stronger and made to use even in a rain storm !!!
I would traid our Power Awning for a Manual in a minute !!!
Power awnings are made for shad only,,, and should put away if there is a breeze blowing or it is sprinkling !!!
Unless you make legs for your Power awning !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #9
Happy Keystone Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post

Power awnings are made for shad only,,, and should put away if there is a breeze blowing or it is sprinkling !!!

Me too! Never had a motor quit on a manual awning. [emoji16]

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #10
Site Team

Had a manual awning on my '07 HTT and now have a power awning on my 2016 TT.
Though the power awning is convenient, I would take the manual over the power.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #11

I am Not buying this "Switchout Power Awning for a Manual Crap" If this was performed by the Dealer there would be HOLES in the Sidewalls for the Linkage Arm brackets,where the Rivets go! Now that they ?? have Screwed up the Bottom wall area where the support arm goes if you have a "Power Awning installed these Holes will have to be dealt with also! Really the "Entire Wall should be Replaced,"At the Factory"! Youroo!! PS You should have NEVER taken this unit!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #12

As Youroo said this unit should have never been taken from the lot !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #13

Question to the OP,are there a series of "Holes located Vertical on the outside entrance wall in 2 different locations"? If NOT there was NEVER a Power Awning! There was NO removal made by the Dealer! Youroo!!
Old 07-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #14

It's possible just the "head" was switched. There are identical awnings that come in either a power and a manual crank version. You can replace the powered head with a manual crank head. From what I see the power head costs about $100 more than a manual crank.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
It's possible just the "head" was switched. There are identical awnings that come in either a power and a manual crank version. You can replace the powered head with a manual crank head. From what I see the power head costs about $100 more than a manual crank.

How can this be true if a couple of post before say power not as good as manual - were you say their the same?

I've own both and both work worked the same for me...…..I'm confused by this post below!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Who is the MFG of this Awning you speak of? The Dometic A/E or Lippert have no Hybrid awning! Youroo!!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #17
Happy Keystone Owner

My build sheet lists every component model number and serial number installed.
If your build sheet says they installed a manual awning, you bought a manual awning.

Read the small print:

All information contained on this website is believed to be accurate at the time of publication. However, during the model year, it may be necessary to make revisions and Forest River, Inc. reserves the right to make changes without notice, including prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications as well as the addition of new models and the discontinuance of models shown on this website. Therefore, please consult with your Forest River, Inc. dealer and confirm the existence of any material, design or specifications that are material to your purchase decision.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #18

Well a picture of what the awing looks like could clear up a bunch.
Here is a replacement head for a awning with a manual crank.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../LC300031.html
and here is one for an identical awning but with a powered head.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../LC266146.html
powered or manual they both look exactly like this installed.

it's not hybrid, it's either one or the other but I believe the heads can be interchanged making a power a manual or vice versa.

PS, yes, here is a conversion kit https://www.campingworld.com/manual-...rade-kit-black
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:34 AM   #19

A call to Forest River indicated that the unit was built with a manual awning. So the mistake was the dealership posting incorrect feature list on their web site. My opinion is that they owe something for this deception. I agree that replacing the manual with a power awning will leave unused holes that must be dealt with and that won't be easy or inexpensive. Also I have read so many posts about trouble with power awnings that I wonder whether I am better off with the manual one I have. I have to repair the stripped out lag screws holding one of the arms - the dealer said they would put larger screws there but that will only hold for awhile and it'll fail I predict. I'm thinking of filly NSG the holes with epoxy like JB weld or gorilla glue and then install the lag screws.

We'll see if the dealership does anything about the erroneous feature list.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:30 AM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
A call to Forest River indicated that the unit was built with a manual awning. So the mistake was the dealership posting incorrect feature list on their web site. My opinion is that they owe something for this deception. I agree that replacing the manual with a power awning will leave unused holes that must be dealt with and that won't be easy or inexpensive. Also I have read so many posts about trouble with power awnings that I wonder whether I am better off with the manual one I have. I have to repair the stripped out lag screws holding one of the arms - the dealer said they would put larger screws there but that will only hold for awhile and it'll fail I predict. I'm thinking of filly NSG the holes with epoxy like JB weld or gorilla glue and then install the lag screws.

We'll see if the dealership does anything about the erroneous feature list.
Just buy a power awning motor on ebay and housing and replace the manual head and you'll have the best of both worlds.

I have a power awning and carry 2 spare motors. 1 white and 1 black JIC.

https://www.ebay.com/p/A-E-Dometic-R...b5ac11fff6943c

Tags
awning, power, shamrock