Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

Missing rain skirt on hybrids?

Can anyone tell me why the forest river hybrids do not have a rain skirt around the bunk-ends? Their pop ups have it incorporated in the tent ends to keep water off the actual bunk surface, one of the features i appreciate, having had 2 off them. I notice that many other mfgs have this built into their bunk-ends. Gotta say this bothers me in the planning to buy stage.
Any feedback, pros,cons ...
optiquest50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

Could you explain what a rain skirt is? Perhaps a picture would help. I've had 2 pop ups and now a Shamrock hybrid but I'm drawing a blank on this one.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #3

They are no longer needed with the permanent seal of fabric to bunk-end, looks better, and fold up better.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
Site Team

optiquest is referring to a skirt around the bottom of the canvas tent ends.
They had them on the older snap and bungee tent ends but disappeared when they went to the pre-attatched tent ends.

From what I've seen, the newer tent ends are almost a one piece enclosure and don't seem to need the skirts.
I'm sure some will clarify it better, since mine has snap and bungee tent ends.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #5

Ok, perhaps my bad terminology. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1473901751.120062.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	120240
In the photo notice how the tent fabric extends down past the actual bed tray.Rainwater never touches it but sheds off below.
Not so on the hybrids.
Hope this helps
Old 09-14-2016, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
They are no longer needed with the permanent seal of fabric to bunk-end, looks better, and fold up better.
X2

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:13 AM   #7

Ok..now I see. Just didn't know the terminology. My pop ups had these skirts, and as the other replies have said, they aren't needed on the newer hybrids with the permanently attached fabric. No worries.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:11 AM   #8

I wish our 23WS had the skirts. No leaks on ours but it just doesnt seem right after having two other hybrids with the LCI doors and tents that had the skirts, and were also permanently attached. The Forest River arrangement is not ideal and problems have been reported with tents coming loose and leaking. Search here and you'll find them.

I was told by a Rockwood rep a couple of years ago they eliminated them as people were closing the bunks and letting the skirts defeat the seals.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:28 AM   #9

Thats exactly what i mean.
Any opinions good or bad would be appreciated. I see other hybrids with the extra fabric around the bottom.
As far as appearance, i think seeing the metal surround with the fabric tucked in looks unfinished. Like an oversize shirt tucked in your pants.
Thanks everyone.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #10

I think the current design is ok and can work well.
We already got some serious rain and no water inside but I have a concern about the longevity of it for I see that where the metal part that holds the tend ends it's somewhat sharp and when deployed those ends keep pushing the tent material.
I'm thinking in add a protection to the tents on those locations but could not think of a good solution yet.
Anyway, I see the permanent fix as a good solution.

My 2c.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #11

Take a look at what jaco australia is doing with their hybrids. See link...
Seems to be an ideal solution to what many have complaints and or problems with. This system would not only assist with rainfall water deflection but also protect bunk end with tree falling debris, uv sun protection and when closed, added protection with wind driven water from driving in rain, and well as help to keep internal temps down on sunny days.

http://www.jayco.com.au/range/expanda/

Perhaps forest river should look at a design of their own. Could only help with the longevity of their product.
Thoughts?
Old 09-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiquest50 View Post
Take a look at what jaco australia is doing with their hybrids. See link...
Seems to be an ideal solution to what many have complaints and or problems with. This system would not only assist with rainfall water deflection but also protect bunk end with tree falling debris, uv sun protection and when closed, added protection with wind driven water from driving in rain, and well as help to keep internal temps down on sunny days.

http://www.jayco.com.au/range/expanda/

Perhaps forest river should look at a design of their own. Could only help with the longevity of their product.
Thoughts?
That design has been around since at least 2006.
Yet no American hybrid manufacturer has adopted this design, not even Jayco of America.
I think that the added manufacturing costs would put the prices way up, out of the range of most hybrid buyers.
And not sure if added longevity is a positive for RV manufacturers.
Most hybrid owners move on to TTS or 5th wheels in a few years.
We're the rare owner whose had ours for 10 years. But we'll probably be moving on soon also.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 09-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
X2

Although, I had to fix the canvas so it no longer pulls out of the plastic channel (do a search for canvas bunk end fix).

I've never had any leaks.
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
Canadian Member

The Jayco Australia design looks like it is only different in that it has the extra door hinged at the top of the opening, plus a couple of gas struts, on each door.

Based on the price of replacement bunk doors, if Rockwood/Flagstaff were to adopt that type of bunk door design it would probably add around $1,000 to the price of a unit. Since the Roo/Shamrock models are priced at the higher end of the hybrid market (because of their higher quality), the extra cost may be seen as a deal breaker. But having an extra seal at the top of the bunk door would be great.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #15

My 2c:
at least to me, adding complexity and rigid surfaces to the tent ends is moving against the "spirit" of the thing for the idea, at least to me, is to have the comfort of a trailer and still enjoy the "feeling" of tent camping.

What I think producers needs to do it to make the seams and or the sealing of the seams more robust and that doesn't cost too much.
They can also produce seamless tent ends, which I think would be ideal.

As a long time tent camper I was able to seal all my tents to the point of no leaking at all and that didn't cost much to do it.
Last year we sent to the dumpster a tent we used for 14 years and we did it because the canvas on top ripped by itself so thin it was, but just a couple of days before that happened, we got really heavy rain and no leaking...

So it can be done...

Old 09-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
My 2c:
at least to me, adding complexity and rigid surfaces to the tent ends is moving against the "spirit" of the thing for the idea, at least to me, is to have the comfort of a trailer and still enjoy the "feeling" of tent camping.

What I think producers needs to do it to make the seams and or the sealing of the seams more robust and that doesn't cost too much.
They can also produce seamless tent ends, which I think would be ideal.

As a long time tent camper I was able to seal all my tents to the point of no leaking at all and that didn't cost much to do it.
Last year we sent to the dumpster a tent we used for 14 years and we did it because the canvas on top ripped by itself so thin it was, but just a couple of days before that happened, we got really heavy rain and no leaking...

So it can be done...
The biggest issue with hybrids isn't the tents leaking.
It's water intrusion into the surrounding materials (luan, veneer, wood)causing delam or bubbling.
Only a few have tent leak problems in comparison.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
It's water intrusion into the surrounding materials (luan, veneer, wood)causing delam or bubbling.
+10
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #18

If they could come up with some kind of sort "rain shield" that comes out, kind of like those wind deflectors that pop up on sun roofs, that seems like it could be a relatively cheap fix for leaks with the tents out.

A decent gutter at the top would solve most of the leak issues with the bunks closed.

Seems if FR thinks they're at the higher end of the market due to their "higher quality," it would seem like these are a couple of relatively cheap fixes that would support that "higher quality."

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
So water coming in through the join tent/trailer, am I correct?
If that is the case, Manufacturers could use sealing material like Sikaflex 295UV to "join" the tent material to the trailer...
This stuff is so good I think they would be able to eliminate the screws.
This is what is used in boat sealing and the tent material would rip before this stuff give...
3M should have a double sided tape that does the same.....
Eliminate the screws and glue it.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
So water coming in through the join tent/trailer, am I correct?
If that is the case, Manufacturers could use sealing material like Sikaflex 295UV to "join" the tent material to the trailer...
This stuff is so good I think they would be able to eliminate the screws.
This is what is used in boat sealing and the tent material would rip before this stuff give...
3M should have a double sided tape that does the same.....
Eliminate the screws and glue it.
No, it's water getting through the bunk door seals, due to a variety of possible causes.

Bad door seals, leaky marker lights, bad sealing around bunk door edges, trapped canvas in door seals, warped bunk door core to name some.

Rarely is there leaking where you mentioned.

Tags
hybrid