Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #1

Mod on our dinette

We have a 2015 23IKSS and we just LOVE it!! I have one complaint though. I don't feel like our benches are very comfortable around our dinette table. We went to our local RV show a few months ago and looked at several layouts of trailers. There were several of them that had a regular table and chairs set up. I REALLY liked them. It is just my husband and myself so we don't need the extra bed area for children so losing the extra bed space would not be a problem for us at all. My question is this, have any of you all taken out the benches in your trailers and if you have was it hard to do? TIA
kellieh04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #2

I am not totally familiar with your layout but in my Roo I have the furnace under one bench and the water heater under the other. Take a look at what is in the benches and decide if you can reclaim the space. We also like the table and chair layout and are looking for this in our next unit.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #3

there is nothing under the 23Ikss benches. Some have done it, I'm not sure what camper it was, though. I remember seeing pics of the finished project. If you're not worrying about resale value (most like the additional bed option) then go for it!

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
Site Team

such a mod would probably impact its sellability, as sewingcybermom said.

but if that's not a concern and there's nothing important inside the dinette cabinets, then you could do it. but you'd had to find a way to secure the table and chairs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #5

If you can remove them in such a way that you can re-install before selling it, you'll have the best of both worlds.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Took ours out of our 08Flagstaff 831RLSS and put in a small kitchen table with 2 chairs. 2 yrs after we got our 12flagstaff 8528RKWS, we finally scrapped the framework of the old bench. Kept the bottom cushions to take to races, etc.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
Traveling along

My hubby with my sons help, took ours out as the seat hurt his back. Replaced them with 2 recliners. Saved the seats and table for when we sell the trailer, can replace easily. More comfortable for us.
2019 Silverado 2500
2019 Primetime Crusader 29rsle
Bill and Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #8

There is just storage under each bench. We still have plenty of storage. One bench has the storage that is accessed to the outside. I've thought about maybe keeping that bench but then take out the other bench so have one side and chairs on the other side. What do you all think? We would keep the bench and if we ever decided to sell it (which I never see ourselves doing that!!) we could just put it back into place.
kellieh04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellieh04 View Post
There is just storage under each bench. We still have plenty of storage. One bench has the storage that is accessed to the outside. I've thought about maybe keeping that bench but then take out the other bench so have one side and chairs on the other side. What do you all think? We would keep the bench and if we ever decided to sell it (which I never see ourselves doing that!!) we could just put it back into place.
If it were me, I'd take it out and find a pc of matching paneling and cover the door opening.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #10

replacing bench and table

we have a new unit with just the table and 4 chairs, the table is screwed down so it won't move in travel. it is just my hubby and I but our adult kids and grandchildren occasionally camp, but we have a blow up air mattresses for grand kids and the couch folds out for the kids. we've had the dinette and benches in all of our other campers but I didn't like storing anything in them, because we always had to take the cushions of and then pull the top off and some of them the table would be in the way so we just never stored anything there. since there is under storage in one maybe you can modify that one to have a gliding storage unit, but put chairs on the other side.
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications