Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
Sorry, I thought you were asking about the fresh water tank. I don't think we've run out of hot water yet, though.

Kristina & Family
2015 Sunseeker 3170ds
'13 Honda Pilot -Kar Kaddy 3

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 29
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

How do you know what the condition of your anode is if you don't drain the water out? If the anode material is gone, the drain plug and the pipe attachment connections will corrode together and you won't be able to get them out.
well, i do do that every 2-3 years but not to drain the water. just to check the anode.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
We just spent two nights in our new roo and used water for all but showering. Our fresh tank is almost empty. My best suggestion is to go to a decent campground (full hookups) and close to a WM. This way as you use and discover things, you are in a good place to add/subtract what you need. After one or two outings you should be comfy enough to take on more adventurous outings.

Also, I'm a bit compulsive ;-) but I always have at least 2-3 gallons of water stowed away.
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #24
Site Team
I don't drain the water either but do have the anode checked by the service department each year.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #25
My wife, son, and I can easily go 2 days with the fresh water supply including conservative showers. If we had to we could stretch it to 3, maybe 4 days with really strict water usage.

Regarding WH draining... I empty mine after every trip. When we had our popup, I once left water in the WH for about 5 weeks after a trip. When I did drain it, the water had a rotten egg smell so from then on I just made it part of the post trip routine to drain and flush the WH. The water sources of most of our camping destinations are relatively hard so I don't want that water just sitting in any of my tanks. I have seen the effects on my home's plumbing including massive mineral buildup in old WHs I have replaced. If I was able to camp as frequently as I would like then I probably would not worry about draining it as much, but if it is going to be more than 2 weeks I take the time to drain it. Besides it only takes 5 minutes to drain and flush it.

Michael, Cristina, Anthony, Cocoa Puff, Cookie, Blossom, Tosca, & Heidi
2012 Rockwood Roo 21SS
newtsx3 is offline   Reply With Quote