Old 05-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
More questions (water heater/gray water)

1. 1. I noticed this weekend our hot water seems to be on even when we haven't turned on the switch inside the camper.
    The wall panel has a switch for the hot water heater and when I push it up a blue light comes on. So I assume the light would me it is on. But our switch is down and the water coming out of the hot water facet is so hot it's steaming. (while camping the camper is always plugged into power)
    Is there a switch I'm missing? Also is there a way to turn the heat down? Our popup had a high/med/low on the hot water heater. I didn't see this on ours.

2. On the second day our camper smelled like a rotten egg. I'm thinking this was from our gray water. The tank was 2/3 filled. I empty the tank but the next day it smelled again. I ended up pouring a little bit of our toilet deodorizer down the sink and ran water down with it. This made a huge difference. Do you see any problems with this?? Or what should we do to help w/ this? I did plug all drains when not using. But kids forget to plug re-plug the sink when they run to wash hands.

3. The front bed top rubber gasket is starting to pull away from the camper. Not a lot maybe 1/4 inch but it's on both sides. I know this is huge concern for water intrusion. It did rain heavily today while closed up. I checked and didn't see any leaks. I'll take a picture tomorrow to show it better. We always wipe all rubber gaskets clean and the metal door frame before closing up. That way it has a clean seal.

4. The caulk has come apart where the dinette is sitting against slide-out wall. Should we be concerned or just recaulk it back? I don't see any bulge outside on the slide.

As always thanks for your help!!!

2014 Rockwood Roo 233S
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.8L V8 Crewmax
2 girls and 2 dogs
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
1. Check and see if you have a gas/ electric water heater. If you do it should have a second switch on the water heater itself usually on the lower right when you open the outside door.
2. your supposed to put chemicals in the the grey tank I use one that is for both grey and black. If the traps dry out you will get a sewer smell if you don't use something.
3. not sure if your talking about a slide seal or something else.
4.I would recaulk before you do get water in.

Think about things before you do them make life easier not harder.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
For # 1 - It does sound like your electric element is on. The swithc for that is a toggle switch like the one on the panel, but its located on the heater itself. Open the metal door and you should see it. Keep this turned off unless you are using it. If that is on and there is no water in the water heater, it will fry the element immediately. I always run the HW first to purge any air before turning it on. The blue lighted switch is the on/off for the propane heat to the water heater. When you don't have an electric hookup, you use that. When you do have electric, you can use either one - or some people will run both for faster recovery if you are using a lot of HW, like for showers.

As for the grey tank, any rv chem that you would use in the black tank is fine for the grey. We found out pretty quick that dish water can get pretty stinky. Since we starting adding some liquid tank treatment chemical to the grey tank we haven't any more odors.

If you get a chancce, post a pic of the bunk door gasket. Sounds like a concern if it is pulling away from the frame.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is online now   Reply With Quote

heater, water, water heater