Old 11-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
More thoughts on the 2012 23SS

Some more thoughts on the 2012 23SS after a second camping season.

This is a follow-up to my post earlier this year after my first camping season with the 23SS.
The fancy folding table broke again, this time at the top.
The 90 degree opening door still annoys me, and with no positive stop in the open position the wind blows it back and forward against the spring loaded stay-open device and in our case eventually pulled the screws holding it out of the door. I can still see no reason why the door cannot open the other way, and clip flat against the side of the trailer.
More annoying is that I cannot put on a screen room because of the location of the awning arm with respect to the door. I'll be spending a couple of months in Florida this winter and the extra room would have been very useful.
I don't know why trailer manufacturers still connect the TV antenna with a wire running through a hole in the roof sealed with goop. How much extra would a proper bulkhead type screwed fitting cost? We had a small leak during a very heavy downpour but I had some sealant in my toolbox which fixed it until we got back to the dealer. (I lost thousands on the trade-in value of my old Shamrock 19 because of an undetected water leak through the antenna wire hole into the ceiling and side wall. I have noticed that the new Forest River trailers in my dealer's lot all carry stickers saying that “All exterior seals should be inspected every 90 days”, funny nobody advised me about this, I thought having the roof inspected every year was sufficient.
Almost forgot to mention that none of my three 4-way wheel nut wrenches would fit in the recessed holes in the aluminum wheels – I was lucky to find an unusual telescopic L-shaped wrench at my local auto parts shop with a socket head that fit.
Despite these (mostly) minor problems we like the 23SS and used it for 73 days this year. (see my next post – Road Trip 2012).

47leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
More thoughts on the 2012 23SS

We purchased ours a year ago and have enjoyed one season so far.

Overall a great floorplan , lots of storage and no real issues . I agree - the dinette table set up is a PITA.
Dave, Southern,ON

2009 GMC K1500 4x4 Crew Cab
2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote

23ss, expandable, hybrid, shamrock