Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #1

Mother's Day SoCal Roo Trip

In case you're thinking that SoCal camping is all warmth and sunshine, here is a shot of us last weekend in the mountains near Idyllwild, CA (Riverside County).
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3451s.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	76832

The forecast said low 50's and a good chance of rain for the first night - then it was supposed to be warming and partly cloudy. Instead we got 35 degree nights and 45 degree days - and 20 hours of alternating rain, snow, hail and sleet - and lots and lots of wind. Day one and two we huddled inside the 23IKSS and were very thankful for all the extra space.

We hosted meals for our camp mates (total of 5 adults and 4 kids) and it was a madhouse full of fun!

But it sure was nice when the storm passed through and we were able to get everyone outside to play.

And this is what makes it all worthwhile!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3462s.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	76833

The Roo did great, but I must say that the this trip reinforced my thoughts on the silly furnace vent set up in the 23IKSS. We ended up removing the cover from the bathroom vent so the air would blow straight out into the kitchen area with the door open, and then we ran the rear bunk fan to help push warm air across the trailer.

We had on PUGS but not reflectix (left it at home!) and the heater capability was pretty marginal in these conditions. It took 2.5 hours of running the furnace full blast to get the trailer from 47 to 65 degrees one morning.

We ran down two full batteries (even charged them for a couple of hours on a friend's eu2000) and went through more than a full tank of propane over three days/nights.

Our 200w solar set up did us no good as we didn't see the sun much until it was time to pack up.

All and all, it was a fantastic trip - in spite of the weather! And now we know what preparations to make when we head out for fall/winter camping later this year.

Lovin the new Roo 23IKSS!
Martingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #2

Sounds like a real adventure! This is why we camp! I see you have PUGS. How do you like them? I have the same Roo. How do they fasten to the top of the bunk? Before I place the order, I just don't know what to get.
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by syogerst View Post
Sounds like a real adventure! This is why we camp! I see you have PUGS. How do you like them? I have the same Roo. How do they fasten to the top of the bunk? Before I place the order, I just don't know what to get.
Well, we're using the PUGS from our popup, so they're too long, but I fold them back about or so a foot to fit better. I have the trailer-side end of the PUG attached via velcro to a section of J-track (actually it is aluminum framing that is used to mount a mirror - found at Home Depot). I slip the J-track onto the rain gutter behind the bunk seal. Then use the clips to attach the edges of the PUGS to the bunk seams. Makes it very fast and easy to install.

For storage and transport, I roll the PUGS up (with the J-track attached), secure the rolls with velcro loops and slide them into the rear bumper.

This works well but I'm not totally pleased with how the J-track lays against the bunk seal. I think I might trim it back some. I don't want anything pressing and possibly distorting the bunk seal over time.

I do like how easy it is to put on/take off the PUGS when they are attached to something semi-rigid like the J-track.

If I didn't already have this set of PUGS, I would order a new set of high-wind PUGS and have them sew in velcro as part of the order. Then I would stick velcro to the top/underside of the bunk cavity as many others do. In fact, I may end up dong exactly that when these PUGS get worn out.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

Thanks for all of the info. I'm placing my order with added Velcro!
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #5

That's a trip memories are made from....
Thanks for the PUG info, have material on the way to make a set. need to pick up reflectix yet.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #6

This is what camping is all about, looks like a nice site and sounds like a fun weekend, I would have camped without the bunk beds out Brrr...lol

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #7
rbq

Bet you won't leave the Reflectix home next time. This really does help with temp control whether to keep it warmer or cooler when it's hot outside.

Tags
roo