Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #21

My TT has a CO detector. Doesn't yours?

Maybe you'd prefer this instead?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...y-heater/19334

Here's the owners manual.

Same catalytic type heater as Mr Buddy, but I don't see that it has an O2 sensor. Lots of folks have these in their RVs. Still needs venting.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 10-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #22

Thanks for all the replies, although I was not expecting to start such a discussion on the safety of the product in RV's. I was just looking for people's experiences with the heater and get an idea of the appropriate model/size to use for my camper. As for the safety of such heaters, as someone posted it seems as these heaters are made for indoor use as long as the proper precautions are taken. There are propane/natural gas ventless heaters made for houses, so a portable one for smaller spaces seems logical. For my situation, we have two canvas ends, two roof vents, windows we can open slightly, CO detector, smoke alarm, propane detector, and a low O2 sensor in the heater. Another option to reduce risk would be to use the heater to warm the camper and turn off the unit before going to sleep. I think everyone can make their own decision on what the risk may be and whether they are willing to take that risk. Yes people die every year from CO poisoning, but I am sure the main % of them are from using heat sources not designed for indoor use (grills, kerosene, etc). Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:57 AM   #23

We use a Mr Buddy all the time. Especially when boondocking or at overnight stops with no shore power. You MUST mitigate several hazards in order to use it safely.

1) Install a Carbon Dioxide (CO) and an LP alarm These are available at any big box store. I recommend the type that have a digital readout that displays in Parts per Million.

2) The Mr Buddy consumes Oxygen. Open a couple roof vents an inch, this will allow fumes to exit, and draw in fresh air (If you have a air tight MH, you may need to crack a window.

3) Fire hazard - place and operate the heater so nothing can fall on top of it. i.e. cloths, trash, towels, blankets, etc, etc.

4) Ttest the Mr Buddy to make sure it will shut off if tipped over or bumped.

5) If you are not 100% comfortable doing all this, then do not use a Mr Buddy.

We modified our Mr Buddy so we can plug it into our coach LP system.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
My TT has a CO detector. Doesn't yours?

Maybe you'd prefer this instead?

Olympian Wave 8 Catalytic Safety Heater - Camco 57351 - Portable Heaters - Camping World

Here's the owners manual.

Same catalytic type heater as Mr Buddy, but I don't see that it has an O2 sensor. Lots of folks have these in their RVs. Still needs venting.
Forgot to put in the link to the owners manual:

http://vagabonders-supreme.net/Wave_...User_Guide.pdf

Old 10-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #25

If you have canvas tent ends, no worries as air will have extra entries and exit. My HTT we just crack a window and has not set off the roof mounted co detector yet.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
Old 10-29-2016, 12:47 AM   #26

Teaman here.

Just an added note: I took the Lil Buddy heater apart to see if I could clean out the 'gunk[ (oil residue) from the innards. Wasn't able to get it cleaned where the pilot light would stay lit, so I discarded the unit. What I noticed with the pilot setup, was that a low pilot flame will shut off the main gas supply. Also a high 'yellow' flame (lack of proper mixture , ie. Lack or enough Oxygen) will also shut off the main gas supply. I think there was a little capillary tube or something (heat sensor) that during a high yellow pilot flame would shut off the main gas thru a regulator relay or something.

So my guess is the 'Low Oxygen' sensor is actually only a sensor that detects a high yellow flame on the pilot light. That high flame then directly impinges on a thermal relay sensor tube that trips a gas regulator relay or something inside the controller. Just my guess from playing with it while to figure out why my unit quit working. Which turned out to have been caused by using 'Unfiltered' Propane from a 'bulk' tank. Those little # cans of propane are already filtered I think.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaman View Post
Teaman here.

Just an added note: I took the Lil Buddy heater apart to see if I could clean out the 'gunk[ (oil residue) from the innards. Wasn't able to get it cleaned where the pilot light would stay lit, so I discarded the unit. What I noticed with the pilot setup, was that a low pilot flame will shut off the main gas supply. Also a high 'yellow' flame (lack of proper mixture , ie. Lack or enough Oxygen) will also shut off the main gas supply. I think there was a little capillary tube or something (heat sensor) that during a high yellow pilot flame would shut off the main gas thru a regulator relay or something.

So my guess is the 'Low Oxygen' sensor is actually only a sensor that detects a high yellow flame on the pilot light. That high flame then directly impinges on a thermal relay sensor tube that trips a gas regulator relay or something inside the controller. Just my guess from playing with it while to figure out why my unit quit working. Which turned out to have been caused by using 'Unfiltered' Propane from a 'bulk' tank. Those little # cans of propane are already filtered I think.
So it sounds like people using one of these to fill their 1 lb tanks from their 20 lb tanks should not then use the 1 lb tanks on their Mr Buddy's.

Good to know.

Anybody know of a filter to install so we could still do this?

Old 10-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #28

3Teaman here.

Good point Roo. I had purchased one of those adapters but lost track of it during my move to the apartment. Had considered using # cans of propane with my new Lil Buddy heater this Winter until I can get another adapter hose for the 20# tank. After I figured out what ruined my other Lil Buddy heater, I ordered a filter adapter maybe from Amazon. Have lost track of it too. Got to reorder one.

I plan to use this Lil Buddy heater full time during the deep Winter in my 23 foot Sunseeker. I have seen video of a man in a 24 foot class C MH using a Lil Buddy heater. He sets the 20# tank outside by the passenger's door and runs the propane hose thru a slightly opened door window. Maybe I'll do that too until I figure out something better. Got to get a filter and a hose first.

My first heater ran inside my other 31 foot TT for a full Winter season and half of the next Winter season before experiencing worsening pilot light problems. Eventually the pilot got so low the main gas would not come on. I read somewhere on an online forum (maybe Mr. Buddy Heater forum) that sometimes bulk propane is contaminated with oil. And after awhile a tar like residue clogs up the works inside the heater.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #29

the filters sold for the Mr. Heater Buddy heaters are to filter out the oil that leaches out of certain hoses(not all do that),....the 1st. link below is the filter and if you read, it mentions the two hoses it's needed for, F273701 and F273702..... the 2nd link is a 10' hose they sell which states that it DOES NOT leach oil and DOES NOT need a filter, F273704......

1) https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Por...TXXV5SF2VGBHDX

2) https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Bud...words=mr+buddy

Old 10-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Forgot to put in the link to the owners manual:

http://vagabonders-supreme.net/Wave_...User_Guide.pdf
used my wave 6 for the first time camping last night, had the bedroom vent open about 3 inches and the front slide window open about 2" It was nice to not hear the furnace start. I ran it on low all night it kept the rig warm, but not toasty. I installed the wave 6 based on all the positive reviews by the RV community.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
Old 10-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #31

Quick, close this thread before anyone catches their breath!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
Old 10-29-2016, 08:00 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Quick, close this thread before anyone catches their breath!
i agree.
This thread is closed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Closed Thread

Tags
heater