Old 06-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
My Leaking ROO

Im kinda new here but always looking to help other ppl and get help my self

any way we Purchase our 2008 17 Roo last year at the end of the season and never look at the roof and never did any research on it ( ok we didnt think )
it does looks very nice inside tho.
So we only used it one time. we notice when we used it, it rain during the night and found out our mattress got wet on the bottem side
so the way we see it, the rain gets between canvas and rubber seal and makes it way down to where the hinge is, and water fellows the canvas inside
what are we doing wrong? and we dont use the heated mattress

so today after checking the roof I notice that the bathroom vent seal was in very poor shape and lifting on one side. I removed the vent and notice around the vent the wood was in poor shape. I try to reinstall the vent but the screws didnt hold. (so i removed the vent) to I scrape some foam out underneath and used some 3/4 plywood (2" thick) as a bracket to screw into. used some new putty to seal it up with new self leveling sealant on the out side . when I scrape out the foam I notice that screws where in the roof joint so thats why they never hold in the first place.
heres a pic to check out

so Im hoping the fix holds
the next fix is those tail lights above the bunk ends (going to reseal them)

so any info on preventing the mattress from getting wet would be great thanks

hotrod306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant
our hinge is covered by a 5" rubber flap and no water gets on the mattress from the hinge area.
is there a rain gutter over bunk door?

could be a number of things causing it. could be condensation, could be canvas holes, could be canvas not attached well underneath, could be something missing.

fabric-bottomed mattresses get condensation underneath quite often, depending on outside temps and humidity.
comes from the warm bodies on the mattress with outside cool/damp temps.
quite common. i use a wool blanket under mine to provide insulation and to create some air space.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
I have a 2008 Roo 19 and it leaks around the bed near the hitch, but only while folded up and only while we're driving. It doesn't leak if the bed is expanded. Weird. This only started in the last year. Any suggestions?
HappyCamperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Originally Posted by HappyCamperRoo View Post
I have a 2008 Roo 19 and it leaks around the bed near the hitch, but only while folded up and only while we're driving. It doesn't leak if the bed is expanded. Weird. This only started in the last year. Any suggestions?

Check to see if the bed/foldout is warp, use a straight Edge. At the top it might not making proper seal
hotrod306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
I can so relate to your problems. Our roo was built in 2008 but sold to us as a 2009. 2 out of 3 bunk ends leaked and caused so much internal water damage and then mould damage it was a mess. Still dealing with issues a year later.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Are Roo is a 3 panel. The front one over the hitch leaks during travel when there it is raining or even if the roads are wet. In the habit now of duct taping the bottom and vertical edges during travel. Has never leaked when just parked and closed in the rain.
Forest River sent me new hinges and the metal strip that fits between the panel and the hinges. Has anyone replaced these? What kind of success have you had? Is it pretty straight forward?

Also a small leak from the joint between panel and hard ceiling in rear bunk - only leaks when parked and bed is out. Doesn't happen consistently so its hard to figure out where the water is coming from.
billsask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
I have to agree with Bikendan's comments. I have a 2009 23SS Rockwood Roo which we picked up in early October of 2009 and when camping in the late fall. Weather was quite cold, near freezing at night. HTT's, being different than TT's react different in cold weather. Warm air inside and cold air outside creates considerable condensation. Our first night it nearly rained on the bunk end.

We now leave the ceiling vent open regardless of temperature and experience no condensation or moisture in the bunk ends.

Also had the bunk end door seals replaced with any upgrade kit that was available at that time and have no problem with water leakage.

gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote