Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #41

Great looking Mods JB!

Couple of questions:

1. The nice curved arc of the shower curtain track was attained by ? (did you do that curve by hand or use an object to roll it out)

2. Looking at the website they sell the bendable track in a 6ft kit. Did you use a longer piece of track and buy all the mounting and rollers seperatly, or just the 6ft kit?

3. Any issues with the ceiling mounted light being with-in the shower curtain area from water? Did you seal off the light to keep the moisture out?

4. The clear plexi-glass piece that you put between the shower and cabinet, is it angled or secured flat against the cabinet?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #42
jbdbsb

And the mods keep coming!

My new shower head & secondary mount for people over five feet tall! The shower head does not have a shut off, so I simply added an inline one from the hardware store. It's nice to have your hands free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	16945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	16946  

Old 07-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #43

What kind of shower head, and where did you get it? Great modification !
2012 Roo 21SS
bowtang2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #44
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtang2001 View Post
What kind of shower head, and where did you get it? Great modification !
that's the famous Oxygenics showerhead that is the top choice for RV'ers. available everywhere.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #45
Alleged curmudgeon

Well done. Terrific mods. I do have a few questions.

First, with respect to the Magic Screen, what did you have to do to conform it to the curve of the RV doors? Does it really just attach with velcro? How is it performing? Is it staying pretty tight and functional?

Second, the LED lighting is something I'd like to explore. I still have factory lights, with which I'm not unhappy, but am interested in seeing what the fuss is about. Is there any concern that those bulbs hot or unsafe in any way for an RV application? For example, they don't burn the lens of the RV fixtures? And does that same bulb fit both the overhead standard 12V/AC RV-style fixtures and the ceiling fixtures in your slide? I assume a guy could buy just one and give it a try to see what difference it makes in the various fixtures, right?

Thanks.

Lee
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Vern,
There are detailed threads on LED lighting if you want to search and read through them. But to answer your question about the heat, you will find one of the benefits compared to incandescent bulbs is that LEDs are not as hot.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #47
jbdbsb

That's an "Oxygenics" shower head! Less than $30.00 (for plain white), and with no other mod it feels like at least double the water pressure. Like I mentioned I just added a little $2.00 shuoff valve at the hose outlet on the wall. Being six foot tall the extra "holder" above is a nice touch for hands free bathing!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #48
jbdbsb

people asked about securing the shower curtain, so here's a picture of the snaps. You can get these snap kits at the hardware store.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	16970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	16971   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	16972  
Old 07-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #49
jbdbsb

Magic Mesh

Hey there.
The "Magic Mesh" screen was worth way more than the $10.00 I paid!! Go to ww.buymagicmesh.com for best deal. Buy one get one free, two for $20.00, so I have a spare. Yes, mine works perfectly. Yes you have to trim to fit. But, everyone who see's it loves it! It's stupid simple, but there are a few caveats. These are $10.00 screens so I couldn't whine about the issues I had. Just modify them! Normally the screen closes from top to bottom along it's magnets.

1) It does not work well in breezy/windy conditions. When you pass through, each panel acts like a wind sail and may not close, though once closed, they tend to stay closed. The magnets are decent, but have their own issue.
2) The (cheap) velcro included, at least for me would not stay put on the door frame or screen itself, it just fell away. Industrial velcro might be better, but I went one better. Like my shower curtain, I used "snaps" to secure the screen along the door frame which is aluminum. Once in place I trimmed the access. But the screen material is fragile when cut. The screen would pull away from the snap, so I used heavy vinyl tape (awning tape) around the snap to strength it.
3) The magnets are good and strong, and are encased in plastic housings, which would pop open and dump the magnet. So, I glued them shut.
For installation I used the included velcro and some "blue painters tape" for a basic/loose mount and operations check, then I maked the screen and frame for snaps and installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	16975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	16976  
Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #50
jbdbsb

LED is another interesting subject of debate. They're relatively new technology, and most folks no little to nothing about them. The nay sayers are simply under informed of the advantages.
As an RV'er, a 95% dry camper (boondocker), I am a huge proponent of LED lighting technology! They use minimal power, about 1/10 the power of incandescent. That's about ten LED's to one regular bulb. That in itself is significant, but when you also factor in their cool running temp. The benefits are undeniable. But they themselves have their own pros & cons. I have a bag full of my attempts to go cheap with LED. A bag full of useless low quality LED garbage. I'll keep them for emergencies. Lesson learned and take it from me, spend the money on quality. I upgraded mine over a couple of months.
1) Pro: They use minimal power. 1/10th. Kids leave the lights on? yeah so what!! The wife wants it like high noon at midnight, so what!!
2) Con: As with everything, not all LED's are the same. Yes, you can buy cheap $1.00 ea. LED bulb's online, but I wouldn't use them if you gave them to me, or paid me to use them! They are cheap with cheap mounts and a flimsy build quality. They have inconsistent color, some white ones will actually turn bluish when warmed up. Or they are a harsh ugly white.
3) Pro: Heat. There isn't any, or very little. Melted lense cover? Never happen. They produce very little heat. Try touching that regular bulb after a couple minutes. Bigger multi-element LED's like mine do produce some heat, not even close to regular.
4) Con: Cost. They aint given 'em away! Mine were about $20.00 each! Those regular bulbs are what, $2.00 a pair? I'm spending nearly $200.00 to do my rig. But, quality LED's last for years.
If your a dry camper, you have little choice but to either be a light monitor with the family (turn off that light!!), use lanterns, or go LED!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	16977  

Tags
233, 233s