Old 03-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
Engineer of Crazy Train

My Roo 21BH is home

I was finally able to pick up my slightly used Roo 21BH. Todays wasn't the best weather day with rain and snow showers and gusty winds. But I made the trip from SE Mass/RI to Albany NY.

The demo went quick. Not much to show me except how to do a bunk end. But when they unboxed the hitch, we had a problem. My salesman got me a free upgrade to a Reese SC 600 hitch from the regular WDH. Well, the billing and finance department left out the SC part, and I didn't want that hitch. I called my salesman (former coworker of mine on the railroad) after a few phone calls, they admit their mistake and offered me $100 store credit or a $125 friction sway control. I then asked the manager how much to upgrade to a dual cam. $100 he said. So I took it. Went for lunch as a they installed the DC system.

The drive home wasn't as pleasant as I liked. With the gusty winds, both hands were on the wheel. But, the DC did its job. And, after having a regular WDH on the rental last year, the trucks were not affecting me with the DC setup. I puckered up with the first few trucks thinking the combination of wind and trucks would be disastrous. I really am pleased with the DC.

The tractor pulled good. I am nursing a torque converter (know issue with the CRD, and Jeep has a beefier replacement), so I couldn't put all the power to it in 4th (1st OD). I do not dare to go into 5th (2nd OD).

One quick question. There is a receiver on the back of the Roo. I have to look closer, but did any Roos ever come with a receiver for bike racks? I will try and post a pic of it later.

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Congrats on getting it home safely. You sure did go through lots of weather conditions but sounds like you handled it well.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your new to you Roo!! And, nice write up.

AFAIK the Roos never came with a receiver on the bumper. Post that pick and include some pictures of the welds.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #4

Congrats on your new Roo. I had a Jeep that looked just like that, but it wasn't the CRD.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #5

Good to hear you and the Roo got home safely.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Engineer of Crazy Train

Thanks everyone. Can't wait to get camping.

@Triguy - I will get a pic soon. The weather outside is white and frightful today and probably until tomorrow. But, I do have to get to work today for 3, so, I could trudge out a little early and snap a few pics for you.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

No hurries. We just got 8" of the white stuff, too, so I know how it is.

I think its either a dealer modification (some do that) or a mod from the previous owner. FR generally stresses that the bumper on these units cannot support a bike rack. Also, there have been instances where people have damaged their lite-weight frame through a receiver they welded onto trailer.

So, just curious really.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #8

Happy camping with your new ROO. I just purchased a new ROO IKSS23 myself.
I'm from Albany also but now live in Sunny, warm and snow free Houston, TX. :-) Been out camping already twice with the new camper and going again on the 15th. Family is still in the Albany area and tell me what great weather you are having. LOL I'd send you a snow shovel but they don't sell them down here. Just teasing you... You will love the Roo, they are a lot of fun.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I was finally able to pick up my slightly used Roo 21BH. Todays wasn't the best weather day with rain and snow showers and gusty winds. But I made the trip from SE Mass/RI to Albany NY.

The demo went quick. Not much to show me except how to do a bunk end. But when they unboxed the hitch, we had a problem. My salesman got me a free upgrade to a Reese SC 600 hitch from the regular WDH. Well, the billing and finance department left out the SC part, and I didn't want that hitch. I called my salesman (former coworker of mine on the railroad) after a few phone calls, they admit their mistake and offered me $100 store credit or a $125 friction sway control. I then asked the manager how much to upgrade to a dual cam. $100 he said. So I took it. Went for lunch as a they installed the DC system.

The drive home wasn't as pleasant as I liked. With the gusty winds, both hands were on the wheel. But, the DC did its job. And, after having a regular WDH on the rental last year, the trucks were not affecting me with the DC setup. I puckered up with the first few trucks thinking the combination of wind and trucks would be disastrous. I really am pleased with the DC.

The tractor pulled good. I am nursing a torque converter (know issue with the CRD, and Jeep has a beefier replacement), so I couldn't put all the power to it in 4th (1st OD). I do not dare to go into 5th (2nd OD).

One quick question. There is a receiver on the back of the Roo. I have to look closer, but did any Roos ever come with a receiver for bike racks? I will try and post a pic of it later. That would be a (NO). Take it off,is the spare also on the bumper? Youroo!! Here is a ROO with (2) boxs and a 1/2 spare tire. Glad you got your Roo home.

Hope this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	25183  
Old 03-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Engineer of Crazy Train

Thanks guys. The receiver will not see any use while towing. It won't be coming off as it is welded fairly well. I took a quick picture when I left for work today.

Locomotive Engineer