Old 05-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #1

My Turn to be angry again....

Okay,

So, we have had our 2012 Roo for less than a month... big rains happened here the last couple of days. Went out to just "check" that all was well inside the camper. What do I find? WATER coming in the front bunk end!

Yep, mine does it too...

So, I opened the end up, put it up like it is supposed to be put up. Then removed the soaked mattress and dried up all the water on the wood area by the bed and on the bunk. The mattress is in the house (hopefully it will dry properly and NOT be moldy and gross).

Any suggestions to better seal the top of the front bunk when it is closed? Just so you know, there was no material between the seals when we closed it... was VERY careful about that after reading about it on here.

The bunk door is not warped like I have seen in other pics on here. Should I do the PVC pipe idea I saw? Should I put more backing on the lever to make it seal tighter? I don't want to send it back to FR to have them replace the seals since they will only put the same seals back on....

Any help appreciated.

James

Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #2

Take it back to the dealer, calmly explain the situation and let them at least attempt to remedy the situation. That is the reason you bought a new RV for the warranty, right?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #3

I have found the only way to keep the seals (front usually) from leaking is don't give them the chance to. Don't forget to remove ALL screws (including latches) from the door and fill all screw holes with caulk then put all the screws back. I found that water was following the screw threads into the door in several locations. Look at the outside of almost any Roo (new 2012 design also) near the hinge at the bottom of the door and it will be puckered out from water damage. Mine isn't...

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m.../Camper%20Fix/
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSN46 View Post
Okay,

So, we have had our 2012 Roo for less than a month... big rains happened here the last couple of days. Went out to just "check" that all was well inside the camper. What do I find? WATER coming in the front bunk end!

James
Is yours a 2012 with the new attached bunkends or the bungee style? Our 2012 which we purchased earlier in the year came with the bungee attachments. The front bunk had water leaking through the seals. We had it returned to FR and they replaced with the new attached bunkends and new seals and have had no problems yet after several heavy rains (knock on wood!) If you have the old style, you may want to look into having the bunks replaced while in warranty. If you already have the new design, that makes me a little woried about our fix!
Cincy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy6 View Post
Is yours a 2012 with the new attached bunkends or the bungee style? Our 2012 which we purchased earlier in the year came with the bungee attachments. The front bunk had water leaking through the seals. We had it returned to FR and they replaced with the new attached bunkends and new seals and have had no problems yet after several heavy rains (knock on wood!) If you have the old style, you may want to look into having the bunks replaced while in warranty. If you already have the new design, that makes me a little woried about our fix!
Thank you for the reply. Ours still had the bungee style... maybe an "early" 2012 model? We are not happy about the prospect of dragging this 8 hours back to the dealer and then have them ship it to FR for months. Not sure what we are going to do at this point.

I know... most will say, "FR will take care of it". And that is all good and everything, but is there not one person who has thought "I shouldn't have to be doing anything at all to this new camper!" ??

Sigh.... we shall see.

Thank you again.

James
Old 05-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixleys View Post
I have found the only way to keep the seals (front usually) from leaking is don't give them the chance to. Don't forget to remove ALL screws (including latches) from the door and fill all screw holes with caulk then put all the screws back. I found that water was following the screw threads into the door in several locations. Look at the outside of almost any Roo (new 2012 design also) near the hinge at the bottom of the door and it will be puckered out from water damage. Mine isn't...

Camper Fix pictures by pixleys - Photobucket
Thank you for the reply.. and the PM! Question: how did you go about caulking all the screws? Did you just unscrew one at a time, fill the hole with silicone and screw back? Did you do ALL the screws around the door (meaning even the hinge screws)? I know you said all screws... Im just trying to get specifics...

Thank you!
James
Old 05-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #7

Just the screws in the door. Even the ones that hold the snaps in near the top edge. I did wipe caulk into the phillips screw heads that are on the door frame (part attched to camper body). Those oute seals are nothing better than dust blocks. Water pours right through them. Screw heads under a seal contact point? Were they really thinking?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant

you could take it to any FR dealer, instead of driving 8 hours.
FR found me local dealers that were happy to do the warranty work, since the dealer i had bought from was 2000 miles away.
contact Gregg Rollins to see if he can find you someone closer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you could take it to any FR dealer, instead of driving 8 hours.
FR found me local dealers that were happy to do the warranty work, since the dealer i had bought from was 2000 miles away.
contact Gregg Rollins to see if he can find you someone closer.
Thanks! I will look into it... I think contact info for Gregg has been posted on this forum.. I will search for it.

James