Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #1

Need new mattress

Hi all
We did our first trip with our roo 23SS. Well everything worked well except a few things. The mattress was not liked by members of the family. I need to order new ones, but I need the measurement for the mattress with the fold, the next part of the trip is why I do not have the rig nearby. After 35 of RVing, I had the awning blow out on the freeway, well the roo is in the shop for a new awning. So if any one have the measurements, I would appreciated, the family wants new mattress before the next trip.
Bluemax542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemax542 View Post
Hi all
We did our first trip with our roo 23SS. Well everything worked well except a few things. The mattress was not liked by members of the family. I need to order new ones, but I need the measurement for the mattress with the fold, the next part of the trip is why I do not have the rig nearby. After 35 of RVing, I had the awning blow out on the freeway, well the roo is in the shop for a new awning. So if any one have the measurements, I would appreciated, the family wants new mattress before the next trip.
Something we did back in our PUP might work for you (and be a tad less pricey )

Amazon sells a 2" thick memory foam mattress topper - here is a link for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Elast...oam+bed+topper

Good Luck!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Site Team

All Roo/Shamrock mattresses have been the same dimensions for years.
Do you want to have non-factory mattresses?
If so, you'll lose the heated feature.
You'd have to get separate heating pads.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #4

We bought a 3" mattress topper for our matress and it works very well. Might want to consider that route.
MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCamper6 View Post
We bought a 3" mattress topper for our matress and it works very well. Might want to consider that route.
I agree.
Nearly all hybrid owners use foam toppers on the mattresses.
Probably close to 90%.

Have you tried them yet, before going the expensive route you're considering?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #6

Like most folks we had a 2" topper. But we had to add a couple of thick (1/2") exercise pads underneath to keep my big butt from bottoming out.

Eventually we just scrapped the whole thing and went with a nice air mattress with a 1" topper. No regrets.

Only used the mattress heater one time. (Not much point with a topper.) If DW gets cold we just whip out the electric blanket. It prewarms the bed and adds whatever warmth (on or off) that we might need during the night.
2006 Fleetwood Bayside / 2006 4Runner
1999 Coleman SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #7

more thoughts...

We did the mattress topper also, but my biggest problem was about where to keep it during travel. We would normally keep it on the dinette, but that was always a pain and limited space for other things.

Last year, we ditched the original mattress and went with an air bed with a built in pump. It is great, I leave it plugged in. Just turn the switch inflate it and done. When we are ready to go, it has a deflate setting that I use, and then because it is flat, I can put a lot of extra blankets and other things like that in my front bunk end for travel.

We have only been out a few times since changing to the air mattress, but we are happy with it. I might take someone else's suggestion and even add a topper on that, and since it deflates, the topper can stay in the bunk end for travel.

Have fun....
VaTechMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #8

We used a memory foam mattress for 2 years and still was not soft enough,then one day i came across a new never used serta sofa bed mattress at a garage sale for $5!! It works perfect! We put it under the heated mattress. its a little cumbersome but we fold it in half and put strap on it. It has springs inside for your sleeping comfort.
paddywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:47 PM   #9

Hi all

Thanks for all the ideas. We decided to order two custom mattress from mattress insiders. We have done a few trips and everyone is extremely happy. I had them put a cries in the middle, it folds perfectly. Another benefit is that the bunk folds easier. So far I have a few nights of complete sleep, all night. One note, budget was not the deciding factor.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #10

Thanks for posting back Bluemax. Do you have a few additional details on what you ordered? I have never seen the Mattress Insiders site. There seems to be a wide variety of materials, firmness, sizes, etc.

Thanks

Stu
2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #11

Hi

We ordered the Sedona 5.5 inch. They have the correct measurements for the roo (60x 80). I had them put a fold in the middle. It actually folks nicely into the area before the bunk starts. I will try to add pictures
Old 07-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #12

Thanks Bluemax

Stu
2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechMan View Post
We did the mattress topper also, but my biggest problem was about where to keep it during travel. We would normally keep it on the dinette, but that was always a pain and limited space for other things.

Last year, we ditched the original mattress and went with an air bed with a built in pump. It is great, I leave it plugged in. Just turn the switch inflate it and done. When we are ready to go, it has a deflate setting that I use, and then because it is flat, I can put a lot of extra blankets and other things like that in my front bunk end for travel.

We have only been out a few times since changing to the air mattress, but we are happy with it. I might take someone else's suggestion and even add a topper on that, and since it deflates, the topper can stay in the bunk end for travel.

Have fun....
We also went with air beds from WallyWorld and have had several. The ones we like the best are with batteries and pump built into the bed instead of 110V but I could not find them the last time I looked. The only downside is during cold weather camping your bottom will freeze unless you use a thick comforter between the pop out end and the mattress. In the past 6 years, we have only had 1 out of 3 that has had a slow leak.
MentallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #14
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechMan View Post

Have fun....

Just a FYI if you ever plan on camping when it is cold outside the mattress will act like a chiller and you will be cold. I have used a air mattress before to go hunting in my old pop up and about froze my butt off. No amount of heat or blanket kept me warm. I am in Wisconsin and was is the northern part and it was prob 15-20 degrees out. So just a heads up on this.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #15
Crookedread

My mattress was so bad in our trailer when we first got it, it felt like someone had filled it with baseballs. We have a Stealth 2312 so we took it to Costco, opened up the back and put a queen sized mattress in. A little too wide but it works just fine when crammed in. When camping we are often the last ones up because we are so comfortable.
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedread View Post
My mattress was so bad in our trailer when we first got it, it felt like someone had filled it with baseballs. We have a Stealth 2312 so we took it to Costco, opened up the back and put a queen sized mattress in. A little too wide but it works just fine when crammed in. When camping we are often the last ones up because we are so comfortable.
There's a BIG difference between the traditional mattress that you and most RVs have, and mattresses that hybrids and popups have.