Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 05:24 AM   #1

Need your advice

We just got our Roo and it was delivered to us already winterized. We were planning on camping in it between now and possibly Dec. We have it all set up in our driveway and we've been staying in it but we haven't been using the water or the propane. Would you de-winterize it and camp in it between now and maybe Dec? Since it's so close to the end of the season I'm not sure what to do. Or would you just shut things down and wait until next season to start camping? We have never done the winterizing process before and that kind of makes me a bit nervous. What would you all do?
kellieh04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 AM   #2

In NS the temperatures are getting close to the freezing mark. I would not want to de-winterize with that risk and essentially draining systems every day. Also campgrounds in our area are closed. Enjoy driveway camping.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:52 AM   #3

I know you have the itch to take her out, but I would wait til spring myself. You would have to dewinterize then sterilize the system with bleach to be safe, then have to rewinterize again. Oklahoma gets pretty cold at least in the Northern part. I know here in Virginia all the COE and State Parks close Nov 1st. Only a few private one's stay open. They do leave 3 or 4 spaces open in all the parks but no services at all with the spaces. By the way Congratulations on the new trailer. forgot you could use the propane if you want to make sure your furnace works, stove and refer.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:34 AM   #4

Thank you! I was wondering gljurczyk if we could run the propane or not. The thing I was wondering about is if that would burn up my hot water heater if it doesn't have any water in it. Can I turn off the propane from my hot water heater?
Old 10-31-2014, 07:06 AM   #5

Just make sure the switch for the water heater is off. Including the electric swith on the water heater itself.
Marines0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Did you not have a pdi to show you all the systems and how they work?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellieh04 View Post
Thank you! I was wondering gljurczyk if we could run the propane or not. The thing I was wondering about is if that would burn up my hot water heater if it doesn't have any water in it. Can I turn off the propane from my hot water heater?
Your very welcome and the post #5 is correct. You should have a switch with a little red bulb next to it "Should say DSI" on the panel inside, that is your propane switch for it. DO NOT TURN IT ON, on the outside of the unit where the W/H is located drop the white panel and in the lower left hand corner there should be a black switch, might still have a cotterpin through it make sure that is off, that is for your electrical element. LEAVE THAT OFF. Then you are set to go my friend try the rest out......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #8

We bought our Roo from a wholesale dealer in MI. We couldn't pass up the deal because we saved a few thousand dollars by going through that company. The downside of this is that we don't have the luxury of having a local dealer to show us the ropes. I do have the owners manual but it is a little vague and doesn't explain everything in detail. I am going to be calling the dealer today to get some answers but I thought in the mean time I would ask a few questions from this fine group of experienced people.
I do really appreciate your help!
Old 10-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #9

You are the best gljurczyk! Thank you very much! I'm going to be one happy camper today!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Heck, go ahead and use it! it isn't a big deal to rewinterize it. There are folks that use their campers all year and go out for winter camping and dewinterize and rewinterize them all the time.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:04 AM   #11

What is the name of the wholesale dealer in Mi . I might want to check them out

2014 roo 233S. 2008 saab 97x
dado39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #12

The dealership was Terry Town. We really liked working with them. We had no problems working with them and like I said they saved us a few thousands of dollars. I contacted a local dealer and they couldn't get me this trailer that we wanted and they said they couldn't touch the price we got ours for. Hope you have the same experience should you decide to go through them. Cory Landstra is the sales person we worked with.