Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #1

New 2012 Roo 19 Owner

I also posted this on the new member welcome thread, but it was recommended that I also post here for Roo owners.

Just purchased a 2012 Roo 19 this week from RVWholesalers! We have been looking at used hybrids for about a year and ended buying new for less than most were asking for used!
The family drove up yesterday from Cincinnati to take a look at it. They are storing it until March for us so we did not bring it home (stll have our 1996 Starcraft pop-up in the driveway to sell!) We can't wait to go back up and bring it home.
Noticed a change from the 2011-no longer a TV shelf on the corner of refridgerator -now there is a place on wall that is the side of the refridgerator that holds radio/dvd player and also wall mounted TV. Thats the only difference I noticed in the short time looking at it. Does anyone elso know of other changes for the 2012? I'm sure I will be checking out the forums often with questions in the comming months!
Cincy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome and congrats on your new Roo.

There are multiple differences even with the 2012 models depending on whether or not your 2012 was built early in 2011 or late.

I do not know all of the changes from 2011 to 2012 to 2012 1/2 but some of them seem to be new snapless bunk ends, battery disconnect near the converter and a TV (with the 2012 1/2 233S, at least).

Feel free to post any questions and certainly make sure to post pics of your new Roo. We'd love to see them.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #3

I did also notice the battery disconnect. As a new owner, I am curious when and why this would be used?

The LCD TV was a nice suprise!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Do you also have snapless bunk ends?

The disconnect is used to save your batteries from discharging during storage. It will discharge anyway, but is accelerated unless disconnected.

Your camper, even with everything turned off, continues to have small parasitic draws from the many 12-volt items like the radio, maybe the TV, the converter, CO and smoke detector, etc.

These will draw down a battery in a few weeks unless you physically disconnect the battery cable or disconnect through the switch.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #5

I'm not sure about the snapless bunks. The unit is being stored at RVW and we only saw it for a short inspection. Our sales rep did lower the bunks but we did not attach any of the canvas and I think the end of the bunks were already attached, but the sides were not. Does this mean we have the snapless bunkends? I'm not familiar what the older bunk ends looked like. Also, what is the advantage of snapless? Just easier to set-up?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #6

Did your Roo 19 come with the double door fridge? If not then that may be the reason you have the wall mounted LCD vs the shelf.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #7

What is the stock # of the unit you bought? RVW has many of their sold units still posted online, so we might be able to determine some of the details from there.

Regarding the attached bunk ends... You will see a variety of opinions regarding the pros/cons of each design. The biggest advantage to the attached bunk ends (my opinion, anyway) is the quicker set-up/take-down.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by biken201 View Post
What is the stock # of the unit you bought? RVW has many of their sold units still posted online, so we might be able to determine some of the details from there.

Regarding the attached bunk ends... You will see a variety of opinions regarding the pros/cons of each design. The biggest advantage to the attached bunk ends (my opinion, anyway) is the quicker set-up/take-down.
Yes, pics are on the RVW website still. Stock # 117173. 2012 Rockwood Roo 19 Hybrid Camper by Forest River Stock# 117173 Inventory - The Original RVWholesalers Camper&make=&model=&stock=&condition=&manufacturer =

The beds are not open on the pics so I don't know if you can tell if the bunks are attached or not.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #9

The pics didn't help me...

I called RVW and inquired about the unit, but the guy who answered the phone said he could not tell from the stock #. He said he'd need to walk out to look at the actual unit, and seeing whereas I'm not the buyer, he didn't seem to want to do that for me...lol I'm thinking that if you called, they will gladly expend the energy to walk to the unit and let you know.

Regardless... Congrats on your new Roo!!
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by biken201 View Post
The pics didn't help me...

I called RVW and inquired about the unit, but the guy who answered the phone said he could not tell from the stock #. He said he'd need to walk out to look at the actual unit, and seeing whereas I'm not the buyer, he didn't seem to want to do that for me...lol I'm thinking that if you called, they will gladly expend the energy to walk to the unit and let you know.

Regardless... Congrats on your new Roo!!
Thats a good idea. Maybe I'll give my sales rep a call. Sounds like either way on the bunk ends has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks for the help. I'd love to run up and pick up the unit now instead of waiting till after winter, but we will be storing at home and still have our Starcraft popup here which I will put on Craigs List the first warm weekend of late winter. I don't think the neighbors would appreciate seeing 2 campers in the driveway for the next few months!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #11

Ah well that shoots my theory down. I was thinking that the lack of cabinets above the double door fridge would mean the wall mount wouldn't work...but yours has the double door fridge and wall mount I guess I won't know whether mine will have the shelf or mount until it's built. Hmm, maybe I can call FR directly and inquire.

By the way nice choice on colors and options...luv it. Mine will be the same with the inclusion of the aluminum wheels and a power tongue jack.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #12

I put my PU on Craigslist last summer and it was gone within a week. Hopefully you'll have similar luck!
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
Old 12-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #13

Question What's a "hybrid" hybrid?

We ordered our Roo in July and picked it up in September with changes we did not expect. Apparently, we got a "hybrid" hybrid. The Roo has a tv (included, but not on spec list for the Roo) mounted over the couch, a U-shaped dinette, and a battery cut-off switch under the fridge. None, of which, were shown to us on the model we saw that convinced us to buy the Roo. And to top it off, we have the 2011 snap/bungeee cord bed set-up, not the completely attached 2012 system. Also, while we are very pleased with the camper, we aware that "false advertising" is a problem with FR, inc. The mattresses are NOT 80" x 60". The platform they are on is 80" x 60", but the mattresses are 75" x 60". We bought 3 sets of sheets for the 3 beds before we had the camper and the sheets are way too big. So, the camper is all we wanted and more with the unexpected additions, but I thought I purchased a 2012 Roo, not a 2011-and-a-half Roo.
UPGRADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #14

What model Roo did you buy?

In my research the Model 19 has never been shown/listed with a U-shaped dinette on the FR website nor have I ever seen any pictures of a 2010 - 2012 model year with one. If mine comes like that I won't take delivery because the reason I chose the 19 was for the separate couch and 44" dinette.

The LCD TV is listed as part of the Convenience Pkg now, the battery cut-off is a great addition, and the bunks I have read are a toss up on whether they are attached or not (pros/cons for both). The matress size has been brought up before and is aggravating. It's likely because they state the platform size to make it sound bigger, but that's not necessarily false advertising. Deceptive, but not false. I don't know why they leave the matress smaller, maybe to keep it from touching the sides and getting damp.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #15

We purchased a 233S based on 2011 specs/options. I called FR and talked to several reps in different departments to clarify info I'd read at this forum regarding changes /upgrades. Everyone I spoke with at FR assured me that my 233S 2012 Roo had minimal changes: hickory replaces oak cabinets, tv location was moved over couch from over stove (no mention of tv being part of a "package") and dinette was bench style (I tried to "option" a U dinette). The Roo came as I stated previously and we are very pleased. But, FR is less than reliable regarding the bedding info. During several calls, I clarified the physical bed size and was informed 80"x60" was the standard. I'm a retired English teacher and understand the language well enough to know what "standard" means. The product we received is great and we've had no trouble with anything, so the complaint is "petty". But communication is NOT an attribute, which you can give to FR, Inc. Individuals, if you can track them down, working for FR are helpful, but "company" owners need lessons in "customer care". They make a good product, but leave it to salespeople to resolve problems. The salespeople have many brands to sell and do not always represent FR well, as a FR "stand alone" dealer might.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #16

Ahh ok you scared me for a minute thinking you had a 19...thought maybe they were making strange changes to their line-up. I have a 2011 FR Catalog in hand and the FR website also lists following as an option package (although some of these options are considered "Standard" Options). Maybe you got this for free though...if so that's awesome.

Convenience Package C
  • 13,500 BTU Roof A/C (17, 183, 19, 19L, 21DK Only)
  • 13,500 BTU Ducted Air (21SS, 21SSL, 23SS, 233S, 21RS, 23RS Only)
  • Mounted 22" LCD TV w/ TV Antenna & Cable Hook-up
  • Microwave
  • 110 DSI Gas/Electric Six Gallon “Quick Recovery” Water Heater
  • Awning
  • Windows w/ Tinted Safety Glass
  • Outside Speakers
The addition of a U-shape dinette would be an nice change in the 233S. Was it the slide portion or the fixed wall sofa that you made the change too?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #17

Smile Too Much Time On My Hands

I, too, had a 2011 catalogue and used it to "option" our camper, since a 2012 catalogue did not (doesn't) exist. The dinette is the "slide" side, which we were told is a few inches wider than the 2011. When "building" our camper in July, you would have thought someone should have known what was "up coming" for August in redesigns or options. We had a very good salesman and spoke to numerous FR reps in Indiana -- noone had FYI updates to help us. Yes, I thought "standard options" was an oxymoron. If it is "standard" then, it is not an "option" and it should not cost extra. Again, this is an interesting situation to me -- consumer info is so important with the competition amongst dealers. You'd think FR would want no confusion for potential buyers and they contribute to the misinformation. But I'm lucky enough to be retired and have the time to "nitpik" FR, Inc. If they'd offer me a position to help clear up their PR/communications issues, I'd listen to their proposal.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #18

I agree wholeheartedly...if it's standard why does it cost me more? I agree with all of your last email although i'm far from retirement.

I think you should change your username to Yoda ...the force is strong with this one it is...hmmhhmm
Old 12-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #19
Site Team

I believe there's a disclaimer in the paperwork about the units being subject to chance. Whether or not this is far could depend on whether or not you want the chance.

I brought off the lot so I didn't encounter this issue but I do feel for those who got surprised unpleasantly. Hopefully everything will work out in the end.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier
I believe there's a disclaimer in the paperwork about the units being subject to chance. Whether or not this is far could depend on whether or not you want the chance.

I brought off the lot so I didn't encounter this issue but I do feel for those who got surprised unpleasantly. Hopefully everything will work out in the end.
I can relate to your issues. We bought a 2010 for delivery in the spring of 2011 and ended ip with an an early 2011: different colors inside and black exterior frames on windows and door. We were very happy in our case.

Yes they are subject to change....