Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #1

New 2013 Forest River RV Rockwood Roo 19

I'm considering buying a 2013 Roo 19 this Friday at a local Boat/RV show in Houston. Considering the 2nd Roo 19 in this listing Our Expandables For Sale near Houston Texas include Starcraft RV

After reading about the leakage issues with them I'm really on the fence now about wanting to get into any leakage problems. This is my first Roo and will be used by my wife and I 50s/60s. What is your advice about these units.

I've owned a Coleman popup in the 70s and never had any problems with it. A few weeks ago I almost purchased a FR popup until I saw the Roo which I liked better than a popup. Thanks for your advice before I make a big mistake. Also what do you think of the dealer with this big mark down on that unit. What should I look out for?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
TeresaInCAL

Everyone has different likes & needs. Personally, I don't like the Roos. We paid a lot less than what that is listed for too. Shop around, make sure you love what you buy.

TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #3

Do you mean leaks in the bunk areas?

We bought an '07 Roo in July. We're newbies - but we did take it out 3 trips before winterizing. The first trip we had thunderstorms all night - nothing leaked. The next two trips, each held a night with light rain - still no leaks.

I was always told that the difference is how you take care of your stuff - whether it be a tent, a pop-up, or a big 'ol camper. Preventative maintenance is key. However, there is always room for error in manufacturing processes... Good luck on your decision!

Old 01-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobill View Post
I'm considering buying a 2013 Roo 19 this Friday at a local Boat/RV show in Houston. Considering the 2nd Roo 19 in this listing Our Expandables For Sale near Houston Texas include Starcraft RV

After reading about the leakage issues with them I'm really on the fence now about wanting to get into any leakage problems. This is my first Roo and will be used by my wife and I 50s/60s. What is your advice about these units.

I've owned a Coleman popup in the 70s and never had any problems with it. A few weeks ago I almost purchased a FR popup until I saw the Roo which I liked better than a popup. Thanks for your advice before I make a big mistake. Also what do you think of the dealer with this big mark down on that unit. What should I look out for?
I was at the Boston RV Show last Febuary and they had show prices on the units and I was getting the dealer to go way below show prices they had on their rigs.This also was a dealer that I had been negotiating with back home.I guess they really don't show their bottom prices even at the shows!I was working on a deal on one that was still being build at the factory. Plus the last thing i wanted was a rv that hundreds of people walked thru at the show and watching kids sit all over the furniture with drinks in their hands and parents not saying a word.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #5

Most of the brands had leakage from rain while travelling. I've read that these problems have been fixed by most brands.
I've also read about some units leaking when setup.
Personally, I don't like the hybrid idea at all.
Would you consider or have you looked at a rear bed model?
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Most of the brands had leakage from rain while travelling. I've read that these problems have been fixed by most brands.
I've also read about some units leaking when setup.
Personally, I don't like the hybrid idea at all.
Would you consider or have you looked at a rear bed model?
I have not seen a rear bed model. All I would need is one bed unit.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #7

I have a Roo 233s, love it, but I'm having camper envy, and I'm already thinking about the next camper - which will not be a hybrid. I have leak issues while the unit is closed causing delamination. Forest River has replaced the front bunk, but I haven't picked it up yet to see how they fixed it. This issues wasn't caused from a lack of maintenance, my Roo was less than a year old when this occurred. Like buying any camper, car, house, it's a gamble, imo. If it's just you and your wife, I think you should take a look at the rear slide bunk model. GL!

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 34
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #8

Hi there,
We bought a 2013 Roo 19 last fall and absolutely love it! We had it out in northern Ontario in mid October during 3 days of rain, snow and wind and the Roo held up well in 40 degree weather. No leaks!!! And trust me that was one hell of a storm to camp through... I'd highly recommned it and when we bought I did alot of research and found it to be the best hybrid for the money. I'd say buy it, you be very happy!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by realfam View Post
Hi there,
We bought a 2013 Roo 19 last fall and absolutely love it! We had it out in northern Ontario in mid October during 3 days of rain, snow and wind and the Roo held up well in 40 degree weather. No leaks!!! And trust me that was one hell of a storm to camp through... I'd highly recommned it and when we bought I did alot of research and found it to be the best hybrid for the money. I'd say buy it, you be very happy!
Thanks for your feedback. Do me a favor and look at the link in the post. The same 19 Roos but one marked down $4,000. Why do you think that is? I plan on asking the dealer but you know you can't trust what they tell you.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobill View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Do me a favor and look at the link in the post. The same 19 Roos but one marked down $4,000. Why do you think that is? I plan on asking the dealer but you know you can't trust what they tell you.
Just took a look at the link. Here's my thoughts. I think the first one is a direct order from the factory, so your paying top dollar. The Roo with the $4000 discount is obviously in inventory and they want to move it off there lot. They have probably been using it for a demo. I also noticed there was no tv on the mount, which I thought was standard. I also didn't see the bbq , again which I thought was standard. Things I saw that I was impressed with was, aluminum rims (thats an upgrade), it has a power jack (another upgrade).
I have noticed that there is different versions of the 2013 Roo19. Our was built in July 2012 so it has the first edition of the 2013 graphics/decals. The one in the picture is definately the newest edition. When you go to look at it, check out the yellow sticker on the back side near the front plumbing access door. This sticker will tell you exactly when it was built.
Looks great!!! I think you could still beat them up a bit on price. If you are going to a RV show they usually have some pretty good deals on as well.