Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #1

New 2016 vs. Used 2014 Roo 19

Hello all,

First time post, but I am currently up to pg 52 of reading on the Roo sub-forum.

I need your advice regarding our next purchase. Currently we are loving everything about our 2008 Jayco 12HW pup except access to items in the camper while folded down, and setup/tear down time.

We are looking for our next camper, and have been loving the layout and physical size/weight of the Roo 19. I found a local dealer who has a brand new 2016 Roo 19 that I can get for $16k (Sapphire Edition w/ manual awning and tongue jack...which I am very much ok with). We also found a used 2014 Roo 19 (not Sapphire) that I can more then likely get for $12k (they are asking $14k, but I NEVER pay asking!! haha).

The only difference I can really see between the two is the shower curtain vs. door, but would be interested to know if they improved the bunk ends or improved any other things people have noted.
jonshonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Don't forget that with the 2016, you get a 1 year warranty and a 2nd year factory warranty for an extra $150.

No warranty with the 2014.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #3

Doesn't seem like much of a discount for the 2012 even at 12K. I guess if it is in pristine condition it might be worth it, but only 2-4K less then new doesn't sound like a particularly good deal for a 5 year old camper.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #4

If you can swing the extra cash, the new one is the better deal. The new Roo is a carry over 16 so they are wanting to get it out of inventory. Just check it over carefully. It could have had hundreds of customers walking through it, potentially damaging trim, upholstery etc.

Also, a 5 year old camper is due for tires if they haven't been changed out already.

Don't forget you will need a WDH with the Roo. Negotiate to get it included with the deal.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #5

I thought he was looking at a 2014 used camper = 3 years old. Or a 2016 left over new camper.
RCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:49 PM   #6

I have not fooled with a manual awning yet and I do not intend to... my electric awning works fine. I have fooled with many manual jacks, but my 2014 Shamrock 183 came with a power jack and I do not see that I will ever own a manual jack unit again, unless I seriously downsize. Power tongue jacks can be bought for $250 - $350 and easily added. They come in mighty handy when hooking/unhooking the WDH hitch.

I agree that a used unit for $12 to $14K is too much. Unfortunately used units are hard to find to compare prices. Be prepared to crawl under the trailer and look at the condition of the under carriage. Mine had lots of wires nearly dragging the road, that had to be tied up... I added wire loom for protection of the wires before tying up. Also bring an 8 foot ladder and take a good look at the roof. Look for water damage marks where the hinges are on all of the bunk ends. If it is pristine then negotiate down closer to $11K as a new set of tires will run you nearly $600 mounted and balanced... is there a spare tire included? What is the age and condition of the deep cycle battery? Hook up to the trailer with the electric plug installed on the TV and make sure the electric brakes work on the TT.

People pay too much for their unit when they buy and hope that a second owner will help them out. The warranty is worth something, but I personally have never had anything I could not easily fix go wrong with my 2014 model. I did not buy the 2nd year either. After camping for about 250+ days in almost 3 years of ownership nothing major has broken either.

Make sure you have enough tow vehicle to safely haul this camper before jumping in.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:35 AM   #7

Get the new camper! The warranty alone is a huge factor. Remember you have multiple systems to consider, air conditioning, furnace, refrigerator, brakes, tent ends, water heater, pump, etc, all under warranty for 1 year and some for the second year if you purchase the extended one offered by Forest River.

Grab the new 19 before someone else does, it's camping season and people are buying, you will love the upgrade from the pop up, and access to the bathroom while traveling is awesome, not to mention being able to have a sandwich on the road and take a nap.

If the shower is the same glass shower that my 23ws has in it, that is a factor alone to buy the new one, the shower is a big improvement over the curtain style older showers.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:21 AM   #8

I appreciate all the responses. I agree the used one we are looking at is overpriced, but it is the only used one I can find within 150 miles of us (I don't have time to drive much further to find one). Great point about the tires, didn't think of that.

The 2016 does have the shower doors vs curtain, but we don't "plan" on showing much in it. Right now we use roughly 10 gallons of water on a typical 2 day weekend trip, so these big ***** holding tanks will be under utilized. I plan on getting the $150 warranty for the second year, pretty cheap insurance @ $0.41 per day.

I cannot go any bigger of a camper than the 19 roo. My GX470 is 6500lbs towing, 600lb tongue, and 1425 payload. I will add two or three big agm batteries inside the camper under the dinette seats for dry camping (we much prefer sites that aren't meant for big campers). I plan on making a mounting system for putting the bikes on the dinette too. Maybe bridge between the dinette and couch?
Old 05-23-2017, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCS View Post
I thought he was looking at a 2014 used camper = 3 years old. Or a 2016 left over new camper.
You are correct.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
Canadian Member

FWIW, we've bought both our campers used.

The Roo was very good except the seals on the bunk doors leaked and cased some delamination of the doors. The new models have a different door seal and lock and permanently attached canvas so they may be less susceptible to leaks.

Our current TT was in great condition and we've had no problems for our first 2 years of ownership.

Many new units have multiple problems and end up in for repairs as much or more than they are available to use. Used units need to be very carefully inspected and patience is very much a virtue when shopping for a used unit. (It took us a full year after selling our Roo privately to find our current TT.) Either way has some risk.

If you buy new, the rule of thumb around here is to not pay more than 70% of the MSRP. And buy the inexpensive 2nd year factory warranty. If the dealer doesn't have the form, you can get it in the library here.

Good luck with your decision.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #11

Warranty

The warranty is a joke HA!HA!
They never have the time to fix it!
You always end up fixing it your self! OR lose the summer in there garage.
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #12

Buy Used

Read this forum for a while, and you'll see folks who don't get to use their campers because they are at the dealer for weeks for repair. We bought ours 6 years old, and all the problems had been taken care of. The best thing you can do to a new trailer is upgrade the tires. It will save you lots of headaches and probably money. I've made enough modification on my trailer that make it much better. Hopefully whoever had yours did the same.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #13

Warranty vs somebody else's problems. Or did they fix all the problems??

The 2nd year warranty is definitely cheap enough but never used it. All my items broke in the first year. Well, had the drawer glides disintegrate. But had a terrible time with the dealer replacing the kitchen slide race/bracket that broke at 11 months. They took over 6 months to get it right (and all I asked was get me the part, I'll do the labor). When it finally came in they wanted to charge me for it. I told them it was under the 1 year warranty never mind the fact I had a two year warranty. At that point they looked up my camper and said it was never bought there. I went out to my truck and got the sale papers. So, as others have said, replaced the drawer glides myself (thank you Lowes).
Old 05-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonol View Post
The warranty is a joke HA!HA!
They never have the time to fix it!
You always end up fixing it your self! OR lose the summer in there garage.
That was your experience, mine was the complete opposite.
I had warranty work done at two local dealers, neither of them sold me my Roo.
I had numerous things fixed, including a total bunk door replacement. That job went past the 2nd year but FR still completely covered it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 05-24-2017, 06:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That was your experience, mine was the complete opposite.
I had warranty work done at two local dealers, neither of them sold me my Roo.
I had numerous things fixed, including a total bunk door replacement. That job went past the 2nd year but FR still completely covered it.
My dealer was great, but I would say that overall the warranty was a joke. It's impossible to get anyone but the dealer you purchased it from to work on it and the way forrest river sets it up takes weeks. The dealer could have the parts on the shelf but needs to park the camper while forest river sends them new ones if it's a big part that needs to come truck freight that could take weeks.
BigLou80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #16

Starting to get my list together regarding all the new crap we would need for the Roo, and what will carry over from the pup.

Sewer hose (gross)
(2) X-Chocks
(2) Andersen Levelers
Andersen WDH
(2/3) AGM Batteries (wanting to install inside camper under dinette to keep tongue weight down).
Old 05-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLou80 View Post
My dealer was great, but I would say that overall the warranty was a joke. It's impossible to get anyone but the dealer you purchased it from to work on it.
I lived in NorCal and bought my Roo from a dealer in Chicago.
FR found me 3 local dealers that would do the warranty work.
So wasn't impossible for me.
And i could still use an independent RV shop as long as I got pre-approval.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I lived in NorCal and bought my Roo from a dealer in Chicago.
FR found me 3 local dealers that would do the warranty work.
So wasn't impossible for me.
And i could still use an independent RV shop as long as I got pre-approval.
The dealer I am going through seems ok, and they are 45 minutes away. There is another local dealer too, and I have spoken with the service tech there and they seemed ok too.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #19
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
Starting to get my list together regarding all the new crap we would need for the Roo, and what will carry over from the pup.

Sewer hose (gross)
(2) X-Chocks
(2) Andersen Levelers
Andersen WDH
(2/3) AGM Batteries (wanting to install inside camper under dinette to keep tongue weight down).
For the sewer hose, I recommend the Camco RhinoFLEX brand with the orange fittings. Just make sure that you get the fittings tightened on the hose so they don't drip anything.

Many members here say the Andersen Levelers work great but they are, IMO, very pricey. I was going to say that if you're on a tight budget, make them a low priority and opt for wooden planks, but since your TV will be a Lexus SUV, you likely won't have storage space for long pieces of wood so the Levelers will be a good option for you. Get 2, and you may need to trim them a bit.

If you're going to be boondocking and looking at AGM batteries, you're likely going to be looking at a solar installation at some point. You'll find lots of good reading here on that topic. Or, if you'll be looking for a generator, get an inverter generator (or two connected in parallel) with enough power to start and run your AC. There's lots of threads here about that as well.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
For the sewer hose, I recommend the Camco RhinoFLEX brand with the orange fittings. Just make sure that you get the fittings tightened on the hose so they don't drip anything.
I have them on my list, with the clear 45 degree fitting so I can dry heave while I watch my kids poo sliding down the shoot.

Quote:
Many members here say the Andersen Levelers work great but they are, IMO, very pricey. I was going to say that if you're on a tight budget, make them a low priority and opt for wooden planks, but since your TV will be a Lexus SUV, you likely won't have storage space for long pieces of wood so the Levelers will be a good option for you. Get 2, and you may need to trim them a bit.
They are in my amazon "roo" shopping cart. I agree they are pricey, and I am 100% ok with using wood for now. The roo has a long storage compartment at the back that runs the entire width of the trailer...so I should be good for storage.

Quote:
If you're going to be boondocking and looking at AGM batteries, you're likely going to be looking at a solar installation at some point. You'll find lots of good reading here on that topic. Or, if you'll be looking for a generator, get an inverter generator (or two connected in parallel) with enough power to start and run your AC. There's lots of threads here about that as well.
I got serious sticker shock w/ AGM batteries, and how they don't seem to be building very high capacity ones. I see Sams Club has Duracell Group 31 AGM for roughly $180 right now. Only 105ah but 3 of them should get me through a long weekend. I really want to avoid solar, as the spots we love to camp in have a canopy of trees over them, and I am really not ready to depend on chasing the sun for energy. Maybe when the kids are older. A lot of parks we go to don't allow generators, so we will have to depend on big batteries for now. (4) 6v 260ah in series parallel sounds like a lot of fun to me!! haha

Tags
2014, roo