Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #41

You are on the right track. However, your tongue weight is not going to be anywhere near 600 lbs when the camper is loaded for camping. That figure is for an empty trailer. You will probably load 700 to 1000 lbs in the camper. Depending on where it is loaded, 10 to 30 percent of that weight will be added to the tongue weight.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #42
Site Team

Tongue weight has to be applied to the payload capacity.
It may lower the receiver's load but it also lowers the payload capacity.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
You are on the right track. However, your tongue weight is not going to be anywhere near 600 lbs when the camper is loaded for camping. That figure is for an empty trailer. You will probably load 700 to 1000 lbs in the camper. Depending on where it is loaded, 10 to 30 percent of that weight will be added to the tongue weight.
Thanks for that Jim and Deb.... That makes complete sense to me.
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #44

Dan's probably not going to like being called "Deb"
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #45

the 1580 payload rating, is that off a chart or on your door sticker?
Old 02-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
the 1580 payload rating, is that off a chart or on your door sticker?
That is on the door sticker Mount.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Dan's probably not going to like being called "Deb"
I don't mind as long as I can still choose what restroom I identify with.[emoji6]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Tongue weight has to be applied to the payload capacity.
It may lower the receiver's load but it also lowers the payload capacity.
Gotcha Dan, thanks. So my payload is 1580 and if I can get the tongue/receiver weight of the trailer to 600, that leaves me 980 pounds (1580 - 600) of people and cargo I can put in the TV and be right at my specs, right?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #49
Canadian Member

First, congrats on your new Roo!

If you want to see how much payload you'll have left with your Ridgeline, fill the gas tank, load your camping gear in and head to a scale with your wife on board. Get an actual weight. Figure that you'll be adding 75 lbs. to the scaled weight for the WDH and compare the total to your Ridgeline's GVWR.

I agree with other posters that you'll add 700-1000 lbs of propane, battery, gear, clothes and food.

Many of us have been there and I'm pretty sure you'll be over your Ridgeline's GVWR when you're loaded to go camping. Personally, I'm not comfortable being so close to my TV's limits but it's your truck, not anyone else's. It may pull "OK" but it will take it's toll. Honda makes very good vehicles but they aren't known for tow vehicles. If you prefer Japanese vehicles, a Tacoma would be better and a true 1/2 ton like a Tundra would be much more competent for the 21DK.

Good luck and enjoy your Roo. Be safe.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
First, congrats on your new Roo!

If you want to see how much payload you'll have left with your Ridgeline, fill the gas tank, load your camping gear in and head to a scale with your wife on board. Get an actual weight. Figure that you'll be adding 75 lbs. to the scaled weight for the WDH and compare the total to your Ridgeline's GVWR.

I agree with other posters that you'll add 700-1000 lbs of propane, battery, gear, clothes and food.

Many of us have been there and I'm pretty sure you'll be over your Ridgeline's GVWR when you're loaded to go camping. Personally, I'm not comfortable being so close to my TV's limits but it's your truck, not anyone else's. It may pull "OK" but it will take it's toll. Honda makes very good vehicles but they aren't known for tow vehicles. If you prefer Japanese vehicles, a Tacoma would be better and a true 1/2 ton like a Tundra would be much more competent for the 21DK.

Good luck and enjoy your Roo. Be safe.
Congrats on the new camper! I agree with the above statement. I'm a huge Honda fan, before we started camping I owned only Accords and Odyssey's. I really wanted to like the ridgeline for a tow vehicle but I was new to towing and didn't want to be at or just barely above my tow vehicle's limits. We started with a older Coleman Utah pop up that was pretty heavy (around 3500 loaded if I remember correctly) with most of the weight in the rear that made it want to sway. I wanted to purchase a truck that would handle the next camper upgrade. After looking hard at the Ridgeline we decided on an Avalanche 2500, it easily towed the pop up and handles our 2017 21DK with ease as well. I'd much rather be happy cruising along to the campground at 65 mph without feeling the camper back there then white knuckling the entire trip, struggling up inclines, stressing my engine/transmission, etc.

- 2001 Coleman Utah (SOLD)
HostileJava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostileJava View Post
Congrats on the new camper! I agree with the above statement. I'm a huge Honda fan, before we started camping I owned only Accords and Odyssey's. I really wanted to like the ridgeline for a tow vehicle but I was new to towing and didn't want to be at or just barely above my tow vehicle's limits. We started with a older Coleman Utah pop up that was pretty heavy (around 3500 loaded if I remember correctly) with most of the weight in the rear that made it want to sway. I wanted to purchase a truck that would handle the next camper upgrade. After looking hard at the Ridgeline we decided on an Avalanche 2500, it easily towed the pop up and handles our 2017 21DK with ease as well. I'd much rather be happy cruising along to the campground at 65 mph without feeling the camper back there then white knuckling the entire trip, struggling up inclines, stressing my engine/transmission, etc.
Thanks for that Java and I agree... Love the Honda Ridgeline but as many have said, not the best match for towing the DK.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #52

1st CONGRADS!!!!!! You have bought the 2nd best camper (our opinion) on the market....Shamrock 21DK is 1st...
As for your questions and concerns...
Your TV will manage it, but your looking at splitting hairs with numbers when you should be only at 80% of your TV ratings....plan for a new TV in the future. For your current sway issues do you have LT tires? if not you will need stiffer tires with the DK.

We prefer the u-dinette over having the sofa. more seating room, larger bed and the larger sink and counter + the pantry storage far out weighs the sofa. I'll lay on the bench and DW lays on the bunk for reading or TV.

Traveling we make the dinette bed up, and at a quick stop just run the slide 1/2 out and homes ready....

Cant comment on the dealer.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:27 AM   #53

Acknowledging that most of the above information is correct, the realization that the Ridgeline is ill-equipped for the task will hit like a ball/peen hammer when attempting to hold cruising speed at 60 mph on the first mild grade. Is what it is. Good news though, Ridgelines have excellent trade-in value and you don't have to buy new. A Ecoboost F150 will rock your world. Good luck and be safe!

Eggleston, Virginia
Go Hokies!!!
MoonStomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStomper View Post
Acknowledging that most of the above information is correct, the realization that the Ridgeline is ill-equipped for the task will hit like a ball/peen hammer when attempting to hold cruising speed at 60 mph on the first mild grade. Is what it is. Good news though, Ridgelines have excellent trade-in value and you don't have to buy new. A Ecoboost F150 will rock your world. Good luck and be safe!
Thanks Moon.... I have a friend towing a 5th wheel with his F150 Ecoboost. He got the lower gear ratio rear end and tow package and is amazed with it. I've heard the same from many others as well. Definitely on my short list of tow vehicles.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #55

Well.... I was getting cold feet on the new 21DK because of my towing capacity on the Ridgeline being on the edge... Canceled my order for the new one and low and behold another member here ChibullsAN had a used 2014 21DK for sale all tricked out and a deal I could not pass up so I went for it.

Upgraded the factory tow hitch to 7500 pounds/750 tongue, met ChibullsAN today, finalized the deal, he showed me how to set up the 4 point equalizer WDH and off we went on a 160 mile tow home. I was a bit apprehensive but the Ridgeline towed it like a champ. It actually towed the 21DK better then the pop up I had previously.

Kept my speed around 60 or so and took it easy. The Ridgeline did drop down a gear or 2 when going up inclines but the RPMS never went over 3500 or so and maintained speed with no problems. No sway or shimmy what so ever and with the WDH minimal squat on the rear end, in fact less then I had with my pop up.

No plans to take this set up cross country and so far looks like it's going to suit our needs without having to purchase a new tow vehicle.

Thanks for all the advice I got here and a special thank you to ChibullsAN for all the unbelievable mods he did and taking the time to go over everything with us.

I'm one Happy Camper!!
Old 04-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #56

Congratulations njfishing,
Great to hear about your 21DK. Thanks for sharing!!!

Tags
rockwood, rockwood roo, roo