Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #1

New 2018 Rockwood Roo 21DK on Order

Just ordered our 2018 21DK this past weekend at the Atlantic City RV show from Driftwood RV Center and should have it in 8 - 10 weeks....We got the white exterior which matches our TV, wood look floors, electric awning, electric tongue jack, outside grill and WDH....

A few questions for you all.....

- Our TV is a 2007 Honda Ridgeline rated for 5000 pounds and 600 pound tongue weight. Camper is 4141 and 590 tongue so right at the ratings for our truck as far as tongue weight. Getting a WDH but still concerned with being at the max or when loaded over tongue weight. Should I be concerned?

- If any of you purchased from Driftwood RV, how was your experience in terms of delivery and warranty repairs?

- One thing the floor plan is lacking is a sofa... We don't need it for extra sleeping room but it would be nice for lounging. What are you all you DKers doing for casual lounging?

- Are there any other options I should be considering?

Thanks all...
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #2

Be prepared for many responses!!!!!
The weights you quoted for the camper are DRY weights.
You will load 800...1200 lbs of food,bedding,asst camping junk.
Some of this weight will go on the tongue.
End result....you will be overweight on both tow weight and tongue weight. Not by a lot but over nevertheless
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #3

Congrats on the new Roo! The 21DK has a great layout.

Once you get it, you may want to actually take the rig to a scale. You can find good instructions here on how to weigh it see if the WDH is setup correctly. You won't know until you actually tow it, but the Ridgeline isn't an ideal tow vehicle. And most dealer will the last one to tell you that the brochure weights aren't real world numbers. With propane and battery sitting on the A-frame, plus gear in the camper, tongue weights can be significantly higher than the brochure.

Once you actually tow the Roo, you'll get a feel for how it handles, and then the other consideration is wear and tear - towing at or a little above max rating might be tough on the drivetrain. If you tow a lot miles maybe that's issue.

Regardless, you got a great camper, and when its time to get a new vehicle you can factor in your towing needs.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
Take The Road Less Travld

I bought my 2013 Roo while I still had a 99 dodge Durango. It's towing capacity was around 6k while the tongue was just under 700. Having a weight distribution hitch was crucial to regaining stability while towing. Running at high RPM's while going up a hill is expected. Just take it slow. Plan on getting a new TV as soon as you can. I went 2.5 years before I replaced mine.

The trailer weight and tow weight you received are a close estimate. The actual weight will be on a yellow sticker on the side of your trailer when you get it. Every trailer is slightly different. Expect it to be pretty close.

I rarely traveled with water in my tank to help with the tongue weight. Bedding, dishes, food and misc items (fishing poles, clothing, Etc.), as it can add up, was kept light. I typically loaded the heavier items like soda and water cases towards the back to help. But warning to the wise to not add too much weight to the rear of the camper. It will cause swaying.

In all, keep in mind it is not recommended to be so close to your weight capacity and never recommended to be over your capacity. If you have access to scales, I would do use them, both dry and loaded to give you a good idea on what you're dealing with. You make your own judgment call.

There is no coming back on us if something goes wrong
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replies so far, much appreciated.

For those of your interested in the differences in the 2017 and 2018.
- 2018 now comes standard with one piece glass tilt out windows and solid surface counter instead of 2 piece slider windows and Formica. 2nd Maxx fan in main cabin is now standard as are roof top vent covers.
- Standard exterior is still White and Oyster is an upgrade for $1000 (??) Wood look floor and electric awning and electric tongue jack are also upgrades as is raised panel fridge covers.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

We have a 2016 21DK I tow it with a 2014 Nissan Frontier with a E2 800/8000 WDH I put spring helpers on the Frontier and set the WDH up just right and the Roo tows like a dream. Good luck and happy camping
Robs1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Just ordered our 2018 21DK this past weekend at the Atlantic City RV show from Driftwood RV Center and should have it in 8 - 10 weeks....We got the white exterior which matches our TV, wood look floors, electric awning, electric tongue jack, outside grill and WDH....

A few questions for you all.....

- Our TV is a 2007 Honda Ridgeline rated for 5000 pounds and 600 pound tongue weight. Camper is 4141 and 590 tongue so right at the ratings for our truck as far as tongue weight. Getting a WDH but still concerned with being at the max or when loaded over tongue weight. Should I be concerned?

- Are there any other options I should be considering?

Thanks all...
One option you should consider is a bigger truck!!! You are 10 lbs under your trucks limit unloaded and you don't have a WDH or gear in the trailer.

Someone will invariability tell you its gonna be okay. If you have to ask if you are overloaded, you probably are.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
Site Team

njfishing, you're making one of the top 3 newbie mistakes, using fantasy brochure/website weights.

No trailer weighs those numbers when it leaves the factory. Those weights are for a stripped down version of the trailer.
My Roo weighed 400lbs over the brochure/website dry weight when it left the factory.
Your 21DK could weigh 4500lbs before you add the battery, propane, water and cargo.

Second, the 590 tongue weight already exceeds the Ridgeline's max hitch capacity of 500lbs, before you add the things I listed above.

This is the reason we dropped the Ridgeline from consideration when we were shopping for a new Roo.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
njfishing, you're making one of the top 3 newbie mistakes, using fantasy brochure/website weights.

No trailer weighs those numbers when it leaves the factory. Those weights are for a stripped down version of the trailer.
My Roo weighed 400lbs over the brochure/website dry weight when it left the factory.
Your 21DK could weigh 4500lbs before you add the battery, propane, water and cargo.

Second, the 590 tongue weight already exceeds the Ridgeline's max hitch capacity of 500lbs, before you add the things I listed above.

This is the reason we dropped the Ridgeline from consideration when we were shopping for a new Roo.
Thanks Dan according to my owners manual my max tongue weight is 600 pounds not 500. I also have a call into Forrest River to get a better weight estimate on my particular unit. My dealer says it will come in close because most of the items like A/C, battery, dual propane tanks and the like are standard from the factory. I saw one online where the dealer had it in stock and took a picture of the factory dry weight and it was 4170. Only time I will be carrying water and waste is when I reach the campground and fill up take short trip to the site and will always empty before I leave.

Thoughts??
Old 02-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #10

I'm guessing the salesman said "Oh, sure, your Ridgeline can tow this!" Of course, that's assuming he even asked you what you were going to pull it with!

You haven't mentioned what your Ridgeline's payload is. Open your drivers door and look at the sticker on the door frame. That payload limit has to cover any passengers, any dogs, any other "stuff," plus the weight of your WDH plus the tongue weight of the trailer.

I'm guessing you're going to be over.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
Site Team

Battery is dealer installed item, not factory.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:52 PM   #12

Smile

Congrats on your new ROO. We have a 2015 21dk and love it. As for the comfort lounging you are right, the dinette is not very comfortable. We fold the table and set it aside and put a couple camping chairs in there. Much more comfortable to watch tv or read. Enjoy your Roo.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:57 PM   #13
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

Well I tow my 21dk with a 2014 Tacoma, 6500 tow capcity. Not a speed demon, but you not suppose to tow that weight over 65 anyways. I have a wd hitch from harbor freight and sway controller with road master active suspension spring helpers. It tows fine, also why I went with the lighter 21dk and not the 21ss. Make sure you get a decent brake controller, prodigy 2 is what I have.

Not sure on a Ridgeline. Do you have a transmission cooler? And an oil cooler? Plus you may be over your combined weight for that set up, especially when you have passangers, water, and gear.

The trailer will have an actual dry weight sticker, I think mine was a few lbs more than brochure. It's a 2016 model.

My wife bought a footstool thing that matched the upholstery. We just slide the table over and use that in the dinette.

I love our 21dk, and think it is a much better layout than the 21ss and glad I decided to buy it.

Go trade the Ridgeline in for a Tacoma.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160820_092748.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	130386
jaymemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:59 PM   #14
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

Oh and our camp spot is up a 16 mile pass with 42 curves and 8 percent grades.
jaymemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymemiller View Post
The trailer will have an actual dry weight sticker, I think mine was a few lbs more than brochure. It's a 2016 model.
Ignore any dry weight sticker. Dry weights are for suckers.

As previously stated, dry weight is for a stripped down model. It will NEVER reflect your actual weight. You should be using the GVWR that's on the sticker on the left front side of the trailer. If you go over the GVWR, then you're overloading the trailer; so the GVWR is the max weight you should ever need to deal with.

And most people exceed payload before tow capacity.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs1968 View Post
We have a 2016 21DK I tow it with a 2014 Nissan Frontier with a E2 800/8000 WDH I put spring helpers on the Frontier and set the WDH up just right and the Roo tows like a dream. Good luck and happy camping

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	456.2 KB
ID:	130403
Robs1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #17

Thanks again everyone for all the great info here, much appreciated.

My payload for the Ridgeline is 1580 so I think I have some head room there. I figure a max of 400 pounds for passengers (just me and the wife) so that leaves me 1180 for the tongue and cargo.

I have the RTX towing package on the Ridgeline which included factory installed hitch, transmission and power steering coolers and it came and pre wired for brake controller, which I've already added since we currently towing a pop up.

Our pop up is 2800 pounds unloaded, single axle. I figure fully loaded we are at 3600 pounds. We do get some squat in the rear but do not currently use a WDH. It tows fine but gets a little squirrely up past 65. It does struggle some on steeper grades and will downshift to 3rd gear (5 speed trans) but I can typically maintain 45 - 50 MPH with out pushing it too hard.

Lastly, our typical camping trips are usually limited to 100 - 200 miles out with some moderate grades.

I was looking at the 21SS roo too but @ 4854 and 616 tongue it was ruled out.

Still waiting to hear back from the Forrest River Factory to get a better estimate on real world weights.

Please keep the advice coming.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymemiller View Post
Well I tow my 21dk with a 2014 Tacoma, 6500 tow capcity. Not a speed demon, but you not suppose to tow that weight over 65 anyways. I have a wd hitch from harbor freight and sway controller with road master active suspension spring helpers. It tows fine, also why I went with the lighter 21dk and not the 21ss. Make sure you get a decent brake controller, prodigy 2 is what I have.

Not sure on a Ridgeline. Do you have a transmission cooler? And an oil cooler? Plus you may be over your combined weight for that set up, especially when you have passangers, water, and gear.

My wife bought a footstool thing that matched the upholstery. We just slide the table over and use that in the dinette.

I love our 21dk, and think it is a much better layout than the 21ss and glad I decided to buy it.

Go trade the Ridgeline in for a Tacoma.

Attachment 130386
Looking good there jaymemiller,
With the Tacoma works for us as well.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #19

It appears you have already identified a couple shortcomings in the Ridgeline as a tow vehicle....rear squat and squirrely at speed....and this is with a popup much lighter than a 21dk.
Add to that the large frontal area of the Roo, I think you will have a problematic towing experience.

Not trying to tell you what to do. Suggesting you be very cautious when you get your new Roo in order to avoid problems.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
It appears you have already identified a couple shortcomings in the Ridgeline as a tow vehicle....rear squat and squirrely at speed....and this is with a popup much lighter than a 21dk.
Add to that the large frontal area of the Roo, I think you will have a problematic towing experience.

Not trying to tell you what to do. Suggesting you be very cautious when you get your new Roo in order to avoid problems.
Agreed. The Ridegline certainly is not best suited for the roo but between the WDH, being careful about how much I load the camper with stuff, not going too far and taking it easy, I'm hoping I can get by.

Not too concerned about the performance as I can live with going slower, it's more about doing it safely. If not, I guess a different TV will be next on the list.

Tags
rockwood, rockwood roo, roo