Old 10-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
new 21BD

We purchased a 2016 21BD Roo over labor day weekend and have used it every weekend since. While at the dealership we went ahead and purchased a second battery so that we could easily make it through most 2 day weekend camping trips. Usually Friday night till Sunday. Our first weekend we found that all the plumbing fixtures leaked and that was an easy fix of tightening compression fittings. This weekend, the seam around the tent and tent floor/door came out at the whole end. My 6 year old son nearly fell out of the camper while sleeping. I put it back together and the same thing happened the second night even though we told the kids to sleep front to back so nobody was sleeping against that edge. Just their feet and bags pushing against it made it come apart. Then we had the batteries go dead the first night. I plugged it in to 110v all day Friday so we would have a full charge and then the hour long drive to the camp site should have charged it all the way. We live in Colorado, so without the batteries we had to turn off the batteries to stop the CO detector from beeping and we got pretty cold without the fans. The dealers assured us that two batteries would easily get us through two nights with the furnace fan running. I hooked back up to the truck all day on Saturday and ran it while plugged in hoping the truck would charge the batteries for the second night. It didn't do anything. Then when I got home today I checked again and even the drive home didn't charge the batteries. I plugged in to 110v. for about 3 hours and it shows a charge. Is there a reason that it is charging on 110 but not through the tow vehicle?

Other than these small issues, we love the camper. I hate to tow it 150 miles through the mountains for a warranty if it is something easy to fix myself. Any suggestions are welcome.

brian21BD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant
since you didn't list what TV you have, it's hard to say about it charging.

but most TV's only provide a trickle charge AT BEST.
if the batteries were real low, it would take hours of driving to recharge them.

as long time dry campers, we also have two deep cycle batteries but never leave without our Honda 2000. we can usually go 4-5 days if we don't use the furnace. but if you're using the furnace a lot, you can drain two batteries in 2 nights of usage.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
I have a 2011 Ford F250, 6.2L V8. The thing is, it was charged fully from 110 prior to leaving. One night with the furnace and it killed both batteries. The batteries were new with the trailer on Labor day so not very old. That just doesn't seem right. I have a generator that I will not leave home without from now on! How big does a solar charger need to be in order to put a full charge back on the batteries during the day?
brian21BD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
Get yourself a multimeter. I've seen where the charging circuit wasn't hooked up (fuse missing in fuse box, I don't know your truck). And even if it was, like bikendan said, it's only a minimal charger. Others have said they've had good luck running their vehicle (or using jumper cables), that's never worked for me. As far as spec'ing out solar, do a search here on boondocking. Lots of good info. Probably enough to create a course on it. (A 100 watt panel will give you less than 9 amps on a full sun exposure.) A gen like bikendan has would definitely be helpful too.
2008 Dodge Durango
2015 Roo 23 ikss
deartruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
There are many feeds with information on fixing bunk ends. The canvas gets glued down with silicon and the white channel gets siliconed down on too. It was an easy fix. Sure hope you son wasn't hurt when he feel. They (Forest River) really needs to address this problem.
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote