Old 02-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #1

New 21SS on order!

Me and the future wife just pulled the trigger on ordering a new 21SS. Now is the most difficult time. Waiting. Unfortunately we have not been told any specifics on when we should get it. Just a generic answer saying they think it should be around 6-8 weeks. So to avoid me from emailing and calling them any more so they don't think I am crazy I figured I'd throw a few questions out there to see if anyone can be of any assistance. First any sort of heads up or specifics to look for during our PDI. I found a check list on here that I will bring along and go through. Next how long does it usually take for the dealership to hear back from the manufacturer about an offline date. We are pretty excited to get out and do some camping this summer. Graduating up from my parents pop up will be great so we are looking forward to it. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Or anything to speed up this waiting period ... Thanks!

Old 02-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #2

We are in the same boat. We just sold our 21SS and ordered a new 229TBS. It's our first new unit and I'm a little leery about the PDI process and driving across country to get it. I'm up for the adventure but I hope there are no major issues that I come back empty handed....

flymhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #3

Thankfully the dealership we went through is only an hour away so that helps out a lot. We were looking at places 6-8 hours away. This is our first camper purchase so it's been quite the experience. Awfully glad I found these forums to help out. Best of luck to you with the order!!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #4

Well, let's see....it's February, you're in Minnesota. Relax, you can't camp yet anyway.
My guess is you will have it before Memorial Day.
This time of year, the factories are backed up with orders from all the rv shows going on all over the country. I seriously doubt you will take delivery in 8 weeks.
But that's ok. Take the time to check out this forum and pick the brains of all the experienced campers here. All are more than happy to share experiences.
Finally, congratulations on your purchase. We are fellow pop up graduates. The 21ss was my choice ( or 23ss ) but wife wanted the ikss. You can guess which one we have. No matter...they're all good.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #5

Yeah but with this great weather we have been having the snow is basically gone and knowing spring is around the corner isn't helping haha! Yeah I have been doing a lot of reading from the older posts and have found a bunch of good information. I definitely understand how making choices go when it comes down to which one I want and what she wants! Glad to know we made a good choice!
Old 02-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
We are in the same boat. We just sold our 21SS and ordered a new 229TBS. It's our first new unit and I'm a little leery about the PDI process and driving across country to get it. I'm up for the adventure but I hope there are no major issues that I come back empty handed....

How did you sell your 21ss? How did the whole process of selling it go? I have a brand new 2015 23ikss and I am thinking of selling mine to upgrade to an Crusader Fifth Wheel 295, but not trading it in bc dealer just low balls us every time

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
How did you sell your 21ss? How did the whole process of selling it go? I have a brand new 2015 23ikss and I am thinking of selling mine to upgrade to an Crusader Fifth Wheel 295, but not trading it in bc dealer just low balls us every time
You'll have a have a hard time getting top dollar for it but you can easily get more than you'll ever receive on trade. Its too new. Most buyers will realize they can buy new for not much more or less than the actual value of your 2015. The others will attempt to lowball you. You have to be able to let it go for less than you know its worth.

What will kill you is people will look at NADA and see the value is shown as 18.6K to 22.4K. The smart ones who do that, which are probably the people with the money, will have enough common sense to know they can get a 2016 or probably a 2017 for less than 22K and with that will come the full manufacturers warranty which you can't offer whether its worth anything or not.

I was offered 8600 trade on a 2013 hybrid valued at 16,5 K by multiple dealers last fall. The value dropped to 15.5K which happens every so often. I was more than happy to sell when offered 12K as I only owed 8K.

Using real numbers on the new I'd bet the dealers would want to give you around 11K trade. I'd expect to sell privately somewhere between that and the low book number if I wanted to sell fast.

If you have the time to sit around, you always have the chance of that one special buyer coming along but its a gamble.

This is also the best time to be selling, wait until fall and its a buyers market. Good Luck.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #8

When we negotiated the purchase of our 23SS, we were sitting in a 21SS at the time at an RV show and I thought, this 21SS is a nice floorplan.....nice and wide. It would be a great couple trailer.

I hope you enjoy your new trailer.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #9

Trade value is also relative to the margin on the camper you are purchasing. We traded our 2013 21SS recently and received 12k for it but that is an irrelevant number until you look at the deal you got on the new camper

Mike
Old 02-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #10

New21ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by johakyle View Post
Me and the future wife just pulled the trigger on ordering a new 21SS. Now is the most difficult time. Waiting. Unfortunately we have not been told any specifics on when we should get it. Just a generic answer saying they think it should be around 6-8 weeks. So to avoid me from emailing and calling them any more so they don't think I am crazy I figured I'd throw a few questions out there to see if anyone can be of any assistance. First any sort of heads up or specifics to look for during our PDI. I found a check list on here that I will bring along and go through. Next how long does it usually take for the dealership to hear back from the manufacturer about an offline date. We are pretty excited to get out and do some camping this summer. Graduating up from my parents pop up will be great so we are looking forward to it. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Or anything to speed up this waiting period ... Thanks!
We have a 2013 that replaced our popup of many years. Love it. Have a futon bed but wish we would have upgraded to the tri-fold bed. Have been in bear country some where soft sides are not allowed. The futon and table get a little short for my wife and I.