Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
...we like Walmarts and other 'dry' camping areas.

Have a look at RVParky for places to stay.

Truck Stops are great not only for easy fuel, but many also have dump stations and an easy way to fill up your water tanks - and/or buy a first class shower.
Great ideas, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
TPMS is a huge comfort especially if you use ST tires.
Sorry, what does TPMS and ST tires mean? My bad, just not up on my forum lingo yet
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #22

Welcome.

Did ya notice all the comments about tires. If you have China Bombs, Just buy new tires.

When they blow, you'll have to buy new anyway. And you'll probably have an insurance deductible on top of that for any damage a blowout causes.

Beyond that buzzkill, Seriously,

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Sorry, what does TPMS and ST tires mean? My bad, just not up on my forum lingo yet
TPMS is tire pressure monitoring system

ST is a code which I think means Specialty Trailer. I believe they are constructed differently & made with different rubber compounds.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #24

TPMS means Tire Pressure Monitoring System, I have this one and works fine:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZME9Q2?psc=1

Tires:
As you can see, tires are a big concern at 4-5 years mark.
Beyond what was already said, if you are heading to warmer climates, I would recommend to inflate the tires when cold 5 lbs below the tire maximum pressure.
I do that all the time and always get the tires at or just below the maximum pressure when they heat up.
Buy tires that have speed limit higher than 65 mph.
it is not uncommon to go over 65mph in a descend....

Weight:
Weight distribution system is a must for good towing experience but it is just half of the equation. Setting it up properly is the other half.
I also was new to trailer towing last year and I did my own WD set up (after arriving from the dealer were they first set it up for me (we bought brand new)). I did that based on the information of the two articles attached.
I never had a single case of trailer swing. Make sure the trailer is riding level (front to back).

Gas / Stops:
You can count on a 10mpg gas consumption (@ 65mph) average and you are towing a way bigger rig than a pop up so plan stops at Love's Travel stops or something like that for regular gas stations may be too tight for you.

Clearance:
Write how high the trailer is in a post-it and put it on the dash board.
I believe it's 11' ... It would be difficult to find a bridge lower than that but It helps you to get used to think about bridges clearance and keep a watch on it ....

Speed:
You will notice that above 65mph the gas consumption will be exponentially higher so most of us drive at 65mph even when their tires speed limit are rated for more than that.

Have a nice trip.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Equilizing Hitches.pdf (204.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf Understanding Ball Mount Angle.pdf (360.7 KB, 34 views)

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
TPMS means Tire Pressure Monitoring System, I have this one and works fine:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZME9Q2?psc=1
All great info! Haven't seen the TPMS before, but I'm a sucker for a nice little gadget Thanks
Old 03-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
1st mod for a hybrid TT:
Get a set of Popup Gizmos and Reflectix for the tent ends.
Are these two separate things or are you saying a popup gizmo with Reflectix? Not seeing much on Amazon...any suggestions for where to find these? Thanks!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
All great info! Haven't seen the TPMS before, but I'm a sucker for a nice little gadget Thanks
I'm surprised that your truck doesn't have a TPMS system.
my 2007 Avalanche came standard with it.
TPMS are common in the Automotive world, not the RV world.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I'm surprised that your truck doesn't have a TPMS system.
my 2007 Avalanche came standard with it.
TPMS are common in the Automotive world, not the RV world.
I'll have to check my truck's display options and see what it offers. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 03-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #29
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
I'll have to check my truck's display options and see what it offers. Thanks for the suggestion!
A 2014 won't have any options to add the trailer tires to the on board factory TPMS of the truck. I believe the statement concerning your vehicles TPMS was made out of surprise that you have a vehicle with a TPMS but didn't know what a TPMS was.

You will need to purchase an separate TPMS for the trailer.
Google TST 507 or Truck Systems Technologies for information.
Many here (including myself) are using the TST 507 system.
There are several versions... non-flow through, flow through, internal.
A search of this forum will give you days worth of reading on the subject.

Congrats & ENJOY!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #30

How exciting!! But I just want to add that unless you can verify that those tires are less than 5 years old, I would put all new ones on it. We found out the hard way that even though our used unit was bought from the dealer and serviced, everything worked, etc., that if the tires are as old as the unit, get rid of them.

No worse feeling than cruising down the highway and having your tire blow out. We were extremely lucky and I was able to maintain control, drop my speed and pull over. You'd be surprised at the damage a blown tire can do to the frame (that took some ingenuity to fix on the spot) and we were lucky no lines were severed. Put the spare on and the next day we stopped for gas and the tire on the other side was peeling. Fortunately,we happen to be to be near civilization and ended up replacing all the tires and the spare.

Good luck, have a great, safe trip!
popuptrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #31

Congratulations on your Roo. Camp a few nights close by before your big trip to make sure everything works and to make a list of all the things you will need to put in the camper that are not currently already in there. Enjoy!!
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Check, sounds like a new set of tires and having them do the greasing is my best bet. Great info!
Many of us have what are called "China Bombs" which are tires, just barely matched for the trailer load they carry that are made... guess where.

Fortunately for you, many on this forum are excited at this recent news you may want to consider...

Quote:
“Goodyear is proud and excited to introduce the Endurance, the only radial special trailer tire built in the United States,” said Ryan Patterson, president of Goodyear’s North American consumer tire business.

A tire capable of transporting the heaviest and most crucial cargo, The Goodyear Endurance features Goodyear Durawall Technology, which helps resist sidewall cuts and punctures.

Available in Load Ranges D and E to accommodate larger trailer load capacities, the entire Endurance trailer line carries the N speed rating allowing consumers to travel at highway speeds.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Many of us have what are called "China Bombs" which are tires, just barely matched for the trailer load they carry that are made... guess where.

Fortunately for you, many on this forum are excited at this recent news you may want to consider...
I just picked some of these up. I'll get them installed and see what they can do.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #34

i just replaced my tires on our 2013 i am suprised the dealer you got the trailer from didnt sell you a weight dis hitch
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
A 2014 won't have any options to add the trailer tires to the on board factory TPMS of the truck. I believe the statement concerning your vehicles TPMS was made out of surprise that you have a vehicle with a TPMS but didn't know what a TPMS was.

You will need to purchase an separate TPMS for the trailer.
Google TST 507 or Truck Systems Technologies for information.
Many here (including myself) are using the TST 507 system.
There are several versions... non-flow through, flow through, internal.
A search of this forum will give you days worth of reading on the subject.

Congrats & ENJOY!
Good stuff, thanks for the suggestion on the TST 507. I'll do a little more reading up on the topic and go from there!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post

Thanks for the recommendation. Nice to know an option made in the USA!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by locogk View Post
i am suprised the dealer you got the trailer from didnt sell you a weight dis hitch
I bought my trailer as a private sale...I'm sure a dealer would have sold me a weight distribution hitch
Old 03-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #38

This site is full of good info. Lots of good reading as I have lots to learn.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 PM   #39
rbq

Your Roo will have the zirk fittings for the axles. You'll need to pry off the rubber cover that is over the fitting. Be sure & get the grease for the axle.
Make sure you have a good sewer hose for dumping the tanks. If it's one of the cheap ones that a dealer would give to a new sale then get a better one. It is well worth it.
A wand to help flush out the tank helps get the black tank cleaned out.
There have been posts about a WD hitch. My Equalizer makes towing the Roo easy & have no sway & see little impact from semis.
Get a roll of Reflectix insulation & cut them to fit between the screen and the window cover on all 3 sides of the bunks. You'll have to remove them before closing the trailer, but they really do make camping in different weather heat/cold conditions better.
Since w have the same age Roo feel free to ask me questions.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:24 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
Your Roo will have the zirk fittings for the axles. You'll need to pry off the rubber cover that is over the fitting. Be sure & get the grease for the axle.
Can you clarify what you mean? Are there different types of grease for the axle vs something else?

Quote:
Make sure you have a good sewer hose for dumping the tanks. If it's one of the cheap ones that a dealer would give to a new sale then get a better one. It is well worth it.
How do I know if I have a cheap one or not? I know the guy I bought it from had a sewer hose but I have no idea if it's quality level?

Quote:

A wand to help flush out the tank helps get the black tank cleaned out.

There have been posts about a WD hitch. My Equalizer makes towing the Roo easy & have no sway & see little impact from semis.

Get a roll of Reflectix insulation & cut them to fit between the screen and the window cover on all 3 sides of the bunks. You'll have to remove them before closing the trailer, but they really do make camping in different weather heat/cold conditions better.

Since w have the same age Roo feel free to ask me questions.
Awesome, thanks!

Tags
camper