Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #1

New camper coming home soon

Well after all the drama and stress associated with our accident and the insurance we should have our new Shamrock home by the end of the next week.

It's a 2011 Shamrock 19 this time. The Shamrock 183 was totaled in December when we lost tire pressure on our TV towing it north on I-295. Luckily we walked way and the truck drove away. Insurance has taken care of the rest. Also the citation I was given was dropped as well. This time we came out very happy as well. With the total replacement,deductible buy back insurance we have from Blue Sky they covered more than we paid for the 183. So we ended up with extras we did not have before. Dealer gave us a great deal on this one as well as we returned to where we bought the first one.
Extras include the Equal-i-zer hitch,power tongue jack,power awning among other things plus we still have some items from the old one we salvaged. Might mention how great the 2011 Shamrock's look this model year. We were impressed with the Rockwood appearance last year but could not get one delivered any time soon.

WE ARE BACK! Pictures coming soon!

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
samsc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #2

Happy to hear that everything worked out well for you and that no one was hurt in the accident.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #3

Glad to hear that it worked out good for you. That must have been a horrible thing to go through.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #4

Great to hear all is well. It's all behind you now and you can look forward to some good camping adventures.

Congrats on the new tt and I'm looking forward to seeing pics.

Good luck and happy camping!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Congrats on the new happier replacement!

question, why did you go from the 3-bed 183, to the 2-bed 19 model?
most do the opposite, as the family grows, they have to go to a 3-bed model.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #6

Tonya absolutely loves the 21SS model so the 19 was a lot like that inside wise. We could not get the larger model and we got the ammenities of the larger model with the 19 floorplan. We noticed the dinette got a little cramped when it was more than the two of us so the couch is a great replacement to the side bunk. Also the floorplan just seems more comfortable with the door at the end of the trailer unlike the middle with the 183. Also this model is equipped with scissor jacks as opposed to the stabilizers. Only drawback is that the nineteen is more common and the 183 definitely was unique at the campground.

When we go out camper shopping and we find something we like together and might or might not be that great for other people who stay with us, we just say to each other, they can get their own Shamrock !.

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
Old 02-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsc03 View Post
When we go out camper shopping and we find something we like together and might or might not be that great for other people who stay with us, we just say to each other, they can get their own Shamrock !.

Sam and Tonya
Reminds me of a post I once read. The guy wrote, "My camper will entertain six, feed four and sleep two!"

Enjoy your new camper. Best wishes!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #8

That's the truth! We do got two TV shelves so they can bring their own too. Time to get it home and start personalizing it. We got the outside grilling shelf from the 183 and I plan on making that into a kitchen add on or a picture shelf or something. Also the old dinette table will now be a permanent outside table as the new table has been improved from last year considerably.

Got a stereo project I want to start real soon. Got some questions to ask on another post to come.

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
Old 02-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #9

Well we went and got the new camper and never even took it home. The Shamrock 19 is wonderful. We headed straight down to Camp Hatteras. Tested out the Equal-i-zer pretty well. We had twenty mile an hour head winds most of the way down. It is a totally different feeling than anything I have ever towed before. Feels like one long truck. Still getting used to it so I never reached the speed limits of fifty five. Just took it easy. Think I will redo the setup of it later on when I get some time just to fine tune the weight distribution. We did not have it loaded yet while we were setting it up. Good thing I watched the videos the night before so I could makes sure the technician was getting it at least close to right. Gonna snap some photos of the trailer and campground and try and post them up today. Wifi at the site is great! Unfortunately I think it is too windy to try the new electric "sunshade" out but the power tongue jack is SWEET!

Sam and Tonya

nights camped in 2011- 1
Equal-I-zer
Old 02-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #10

Saturday afternoon,enjoying it.

Equal-I-zer
Old 02-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #11

well crap. I didn't think anything on obx was open in the winter. We're not super impressed with where we are this weekend. No cable, poor ant. Reception, no wifi (on blackberry and dw is having farmville/facebook withdrawls). Anywho, congrats on the new rig, glad it all worked out for you. Doesn't the equalizer make towing a dream? Happy camping!!
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #12

Appreciate it. Will know more about the hitch once we get back. Trying to wait to head home. It's supposed to lay down a little bit later on.

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #13

Have a safe trip. We have monday off so we'll pack up tomorrow. It took me several trips to get my equalizer dialed in but once I did towing became much less stressful. Remember don't try to level the truck. You want more # on the back than the front...some sag
is good. If its bouncing too much reduce the wd. If your hitting the bump stops increase it. Once you find that sweet spot you'll know it.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #14

we just bought a 2010 shamrock 17 . It just has the single axle . I never thought about single axle trailers being more dangerous , but they must be . Do you guys consider a single axle trailer O.K.?
timorr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorr98 View Post
we just bought a 2010 shamrock 17 . It just has the single axle . I never thought about single axle trailers being more dangerous , but they must be . Do you guys consider a single axle trailer O.K.?
need more info. what are you towing with? what size engine and what rear end ratio does the tow vehicle have?
have you towed a full-height trailer before?
do you have a WDH with sway control?

a tandem axle is always better than a single axle, but if they weren't safe, they wouldn't be made.
nearly all popups are single axle and they've been around for decades.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #16

shamrock 17 weighs according to specs 3100 pounds empty. don't know actual tow weight . I'm towing it with a 2001 astro van with the tow/haul package. power is fine but does sway when a big rig flys by. Will check into getting a anti-sway hitch and maybe a weight distribution hitch. Have a catalina 22 sailboat that weighs 3000 lbs but has a lower profile and pointed front. Towed it fron Los Angeles to Austin TX and barely knew it was there. Shamrock has far more wind resistance and was surprised at the difference. Thank you for your reply. Look forward to hanging out at the Texas gulf with my wife and our fat spoiled pug.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #17

Because it is a rather short trailer and overall light weight it should be ok, also remember it will not have the cargo capacity compared to the double axle trailers.

In addition to that the trailer will bounce a bit more as two axles absorb a lot of the bouncing as it shifts weight from one axle to the other.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #18
Site Team

timorr98, i would bet that the actual hitch weight is close to 500lbs.
i think that your owner's manual should have a weight amount requiring you use a WDH or anti-sway.
i actually can't believe a dealer let you leave without recommending one.

the Astro van is the only minivan, i think, that's a good tow vehicle for a full-height trailer.
that 4.3 Vortec v-6 is a good engine for towing and that the Astro was built on the S-10 chassis, doesn't hurt either.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #19

bikendan - you mentioned "WDH or anti-sway" . Is that all in one hitch? Thanks
Old 05-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorr98 View Post
bikendan - you mentioned "WDH or anti-sway" . Is that all in one hitch? Thanks
a WDH or weight distributing hitch can come with or without anti-sway.
the cheaper WDHs have an add-on friction bar, that can provide anti-sway.
the better ones, like the Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual-Cam, have built-in sway control.

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock