Old 06-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
New Camper - Kinda

My wife and I bought a 2008 Shamrock 19 (pretty sure there is no prefix or suffix to the model #) in March of 2013. We love it, it's our first and perfect size for us. We have gone out 4 time since we got it , 2-4 nights and can't wait till the kids are older to go more often. I've been going crazy on Amazon buying stuff for it. Anyway we just recently bought a new Tow vehicle, I was towing it with a 1995 Silverado, and have since upgraded to a 2010 Tahoe. It tows like a DREAM compared to the old truck. But with a new vehicle comes a new tow set up. I did the measurement to get the correct drop hitch, did the math twice and the trailer still sits with its rear low (hitch high). I know it's the rear cargo area that came welded on to the TT that's causing it, but is the correct solution to get a different drop (4" vs. 2") to make the nose sit lower? Even though when it's level on the ground the 2" measures right? I'm pretty sure the Silverados suspension sunk more when hitched up... I making any sense?

Other questions I have -

-There is a heater duct in the bathroom, WHY? It's the only on on the rear of the trailer. Has anyone re routed that to actually heat up the rear of the TT.

-The previous owner "wired" in an inverter to inside where the tv would go. It was a HACK job, I would like to move it, to somewhere more useful (we don't plan on putting a Tv in there). Safe to put under the dinette?

- the kitchen cabinets started to separate from the wall a little, any quick, but permanent fix? Not looking to hack it.

- I see on some of the newer Roos that the bunk ends have supports that attach to the bumpers for additional support, can these be added ? Just for peace of mind.

- recommendations for digital thermostats?

In the picture you can see the rear cargo platform that adds all the weight, and the way the TT sits with a 2" drop. The Tahoe has the HD towing package and additional oil cooler, trans cooler, and other HD stuff I've added.

Thanks for the help!
Patrick Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1403044493.967926.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	675.0 KB
ID:	55579

Ranchero64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
I don't understand how the platform can be causing the trailer to be nose high. If you can level the trailer on the front jack, then in theory you need a drop that will put the ball at the same elevation. Unless the back is heavier than the front (which would cause the front to tip up, and would be REALLY dangerous), you're not making sense. All that being said, you should invest in a weight distributing hitch, not a drop hitch. I have an Equalizer.

The rear heater duct is to heat the bathroom. We've never used the rear bunk yet, but we use the bathroom all the time, LOL. I think I saw a thread where someone moved it to blow into the back bunk. You'll have to search a bit. What I think is dumber is that the air INTAKE and the other duct are both under the dinette table right next to each other. I'm probably going to move the duct to blow out the side of the dinette bench into the aisle, towards the oven. See pic below. My other thought was to move the cold air inlet to the back of the dinette bench. Maybe both.

You should be able to put the inverter anywhere it's out of the way and won't get damaged or interfere with other stuff. Just need to make sure it can stay suitably cool.

No thoughts on cabinets.

Never seen bunk supports on bumpers on a Roo. Maybe someone else here has.

I installed a cheap, non-memory Honeywell RTH111B digital thermostat: Honeywell Non-Programmable Thermostat RTH111 | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette cold air rtrn.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	55642  

1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
I think just the weight of the platform, 2.5 bikes, generator and some wood put it just out of balance.

See in the picture below the bunks you can see bars below them to support them.

We use both bunks. Adults have the rear kids have the front. We like to hang over the ocean
Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
The support poles were eliminated several years ago. the new cable system seems to work fine - I wouldn't worry about adding the poles.

As for the platform on the back, you'll find plenty of threads on here with heated debate about whether thats a good idea or not. Either way, I would be careful about how much weight you put on that. You don't want to crack the frame or loose the rack going down the road. And excessive weight on there might not give you adequate tongue weight - but since you said it tows great with the Tahoe, doesn't sound like inadequate tongue weight is an issue. I don't think the rack is causing the nose-low condition either. That is a matter of getting the ball lower to level out the trailer.

Can't tell from the picture if there is a WDH on there - but I would sure think you want one. Then its some adjusting so that the ball height is correct when the trailer is attached so that the tow vehicle and the trailer are level - even with a WDH, the back of the tow vehicle may drop a little when hooked up.

And on the heat issue - before you modify the ducts, try leaving the bathroom door open (except when its in use, of course). We found that helps greatly to even out the temps.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #5

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1403063117.088960.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  44.9 KB
Old 06-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant
don't know how the previous owners did the support poles, since 2008 Roos/Shamrocks had the cable supports.
pole supports were eliminated by all hybrid manufacturers by 2006, pretty much.
that pic must be of an older Roo.

cable supports actually are rated at supporting more weight than the pole supports. 1000 to 1200lbs. of support.

i assume yours has the cable supports? if so, adding pole supports also would be overkill.

newer Roos/Shamrocks do NOT have pole supports from the factory and haven't since at least 2005 or 2006.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #7
I was checking on how to add them, the TT in the above picture is not mine just one I saw with poles... The one attached to the Tahoe is mine. I didn't know it was an either or with the poles and wires. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm good with the wires, I'm not that big Looks like a WD is in my future , And refigure the ball height.