Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
New Design Idea for a Shamrock. What do you think?

Hello everyone,

We camp alot and currently have a flagstaff 25sc high wall. We have been looking to upgrade and our favorite out there is the Shamrock 233s for bed space and weight. We have just not had the money to buy one yet. We dont consider it the perfect camper but it is the closest we have found.

So having said all of that first, I wanted to share this. I was bored the one night and rearanged the shamrock layouts using prints of the different models on the forrest river pages. I had an idea in my head for a different layout option that they could use. I finished it and want to know what other people thing of the design. Call me crazy if you will. My wife did.

I call it a Shamrock 233SS. The main change is moving the third side bed to the front and making the back side a super slide. Basicly combining elements of the 233S, 23SS, and 21SS. By doing this you keep a light 3 bed hybrid with a super slide out that has a U-shape dinette/sleeper sofa. The wardrobe locations were changed and the kitchen area was modified to add a wrapped counter area to help rectify the lack of counter space. Please note the two sinks. I was using cut outs. There would only be one sink located up against the outside wall. the other would be open counter space. I believe this layout would have alot more open floor space than the 233S due to moving the refrigerator out of the middle of the floor too. I due consider it a downside placing a bed on the front side and shortening the awning, but a good trade off overall. You cant call me crazy for it because I have seen starcraft and trail lights with front side beds.

What do you guys thing is it good or junk? Could we get Forrest River to build one? I am putting a photobucket link here to my picture of it so that you can see the picture bigger or incase it dosnt show up here.

Thanks for your input and ideas,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	10808  

rwoodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Nice concept. The only obvious issue would be the refrigerator location. And, I'm not an engineer, but how would that configuration affect the structural integrity of the unit?

11' Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
12' Rockwood Roo 233S
Current: AZ
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Very creative Robert!

--Expanded counter space; especially with the extension.

--L-shaped kitchen. They could include a stool or two.

--Wider entrance to back bunk b/c you moved the wardrobe.

Nothing to dislike, really, except the shortened awning, as you mentioned.

But I have some concerns the engineers would need to address below ...

--The trailer would not seem to be balanced - too heavy on the driver's side due to the bath, super slide, u-dinette and sofa. How would this effect frame, stability, axles and tire wear, etc?

--The fridge and furnace need to vent. These are right under the bunk and I would be concerned about that.

--The whole trailer will be heavier.
--The super slide-out mechanism will probably increase the overall weight of the trailer.
--The sleeper sofa will increase the overall weight unless you just intended to use the current flip-sofa.
Nice first post.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Thanks guys for your input.

I had not even thought about the vents. I think I might have a few options there. I could swap the fridge and pantry and then go with a corner sink on the L part of the kitchen counter. This should provide enough clearence to get the outside vents outfrom underneath the bunk. In the worst case the L shape could be eliminated to provide the space. I will have to work on that and update it.

I figure that this would be a bit heavier but should be still be under 5000.
but it is true that only an engineer or designer would be able to tell if it is structuraly possible. I have faith that the balancing could be pretty close though because on the 233ss the kitchen is on the super slide.

I will see if I can rearange it and pet the new picture up.

__________________________________________________ __

2008 Flagstaff 25sc highwall popup
2007 nissan Titan 5.6
1997 Rinker 182 Mercruiser 4.3 230HP
rwoodruff is offline   Reply With Quote

expandable, hybrid, shamrock